aberdeen-music

Bass Sound

Huw

I recorded some bass yesterday.

The sound is just my bass (Fender Aerodyne Jazz), into a TC Overdrive pedal, into a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver which was DI'd into one of the inputs on my BR 600. The BR600's vocal compression was used (the default effect when you plug in a mic).

The Distortion is only off for a small part of the tune just after the kind of intro bit.

Aside from the heathy amount of clipping that seems to be going down, any thoughts (how to make it better anything missing etc.)?

I recorded some bass yesterday.

The sound is just my bass (Fender Aerodyne Jazz), into a TC Overdrive pedal, into a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver which was DI'd into one of the inputs on my BR 600. The BR600's vocal compression was used (the default effect when you plug in a mic).

The Distortion is only off for a small part of the tune just after the kind of intro bit.

Aside from the heathy amount of clipping that seems to be going down, any thoughts (how to make it better anything missing etc.)?

i'd maybe boost lower mids a bit around your 100-200Hz mark.

maybe take the drive down a touch and overall, boost the bass.

i'd maybe boost lower mids a bit around your 100-200Hz mark.

maybe take the drive down a touch and overall, boost the bass.

cheers for that. i'm so crap with EQ though. i really need to sit down with my ampeg and see what each frequency sounds like. parametric eq will get me nowhere with recording.

might try DIing my ampeg so i can make the most of the EQ too.

I can't listen to your bass tone, but try DI-ing your bass twice - the sansamp, and also the natural clean bass tone:

Then try and use the warm lows from the clean bass track, and the dirtier mids and highs from the sansamp track. Blend as appropriate.

yeah i was thinking of trying that... but i think i'll wait till i get my hands on a proper interface and DAW so i have some sort of EQ options on the computer.

when you say clean sound... you mean through the sansamp, but with no setting 'on' as such?

yeah i was thinking of trying that... but i think i'll wait till i get my hands on a proper interface and DAW so i have some sort of EQ options on the computer.

when you say clean sound... you mean through the sansamp, but with no setting 'on' as such?

No... "clean", as in completely new connection between the bass and your DAW in ADDITION to the sansamp, eg:

Bass goes directly into a DI box with two outputs. From the DI box, 1 cable goes straight into input 1 of DAW interface (or whatever you would use to record). Out of the other DI box output, a cable would go into the sansamp which would then go into input 2 of your DAW interface.

(You'd need a splitter Y-cable, or another DI box),

HANG ON. Do sansamps have two outputs? As in one which takes the overdrive of the sansamp, and the other which completely bypasses it?

Because if that is the case, plug your bass into the sansamp, then use connect both outputs of the sansamp into what your recording. Simple.

No... "clean", as in completely new connection between the bass and your DAW in ADDITION to the sansamp, eg:

Bass goes directly into a DI box with two outputs. From the DI box, 1 cable goes straight into input 1 of DAW interface (or whatever you would use to record). Out of the other DI box output, a cable would go into the sansamp which would then go into input 2 of your DAW interface.

(You'd need a splitter Y-cable, or another DI box),

HANG ON. Do sansamps have two outputs? As in one which takes the overdrive of the sansamp, and the other which completely bypasses it?

Because if that is the case, plug your bass into the sansamp, then use connect both outputs of the sansamp into what your recording. Simple.

nah, it does have two outputs, but neither of them bypass the effect when it is on, as far as i'm aware.

so basically it could go:

>(SPLITTER CABLE)> SANSAMP >(DI OUT)> INTERFACE INPUT 1}

BASS

>(SPLITTER CABLE)> INTERFACE INPUT 2

or:

INTERFACE INPUT 1

^

BASS > DI BOX 1 > SANSAMP > INTERFACE INPUT 2