aberdeen-music

Anyone work in HMV or Waterstones?

Willie2804

Have you actually worked in HMV?

I had an alright time there, i worked upstairs for most of it, we listened to soundtracks in the DVD department and i could stick on jazz and folk albums when i was in the specialties department. I got on really well with the staff and still speak to a quite a few of them now. It was generally quite busy, so the time went by pretty fast as well.

Admittedly i have had better jobs, but i don't think it's fair to give such a damning review.

I think your message kind of sums up a lot of the reasons why Aberdeen Music is a bit lame sometimes. You are trying to appear to know of some underground, subversive counter culture scene but you are offering up no practical advice at all.

You have no substance behind your aggressive tone and will probably live out your life frustrated, confused and having never really taken part in anything *cool* or *interesting*

Oh and by the way YOUR chat is way more *cliched* than anybody i ever met working in HMV.

Enjoy looking for that perfect job that ticks all of the boxes for your unrealistic ideals.

Ha, I just found this and because I'm hopelessly argumentative I'm going to drag it up from the past. Yes, I did work there over Christmas last year and I hated it for all the reasons I stated. I found the permanent staff pretty unwelcoming to the seasonal workers like myself, the customers rude, the work boring and the music rubbish.

How is my chat cliched by the way? Have we met or are you judging me by one post I made about a job I didn't enjoy?

My point was if you want to get a feel for the world of music or publishing, a chain store is probably not the place to do it. If that's the industry you want to be involved in seriously then smaller independant companies are more likely to offer an interesting work environment. If you're only after a part time job with some discount then by all means do it.

Guest Giles Walker
Ha, I just found this and because I'm hopelessly argumentative I'm going to drag it up from the past. Yes, I did work there over Christmas last year and I hated it for all the reasons I stated. I found the permanent staff pretty unwelcoming to the seasonal workers like myself, the customers rude, the work boring and the music rubbish.

How is my chat cliched by the way? Have we met or are you judging me by one post I made about a job I didn't enjoy?

My point was if you want to get a feel for the world of music or publishing, a chain store is probably not the place to do it. If that's the industry you want to be involved in seriously then smaller independant companies are more likely to offer an interesting work environment. If you're only after a part time job with some discount then by all means do it.

Ha ha nice comeback, did it take you all this time to come up with this?

I am sorry you found working in HMV to be not to your taste, but to simply write all the staff off like you did is ignorant in my opinion.

I notice you still are not offering up any actual options for job applications in this wondrous world of independent music and publishing.

Please go ahead and prove me wrong by giving us all a list of these places that offer more of a feel for this world you speak of.

• 2 weeks later...
Ha ha nice comeback, did it take you all this time to come up with this?

I am sorry you found working in HMV to be not to your taste, but to simply write all the staff off like you did is ignorant in my opinion.

I notice you still are not offering up any actual options for job applications in this wondrous world of independent music and publishing.

Please go ahead and prove me wrong by giving us all a list of these places that offer more of a feel for this world you speak of.

I seem to recall she seemed impressed by Kilau's interviewing technique of asking what the interviewee's best Scrabble score was.

I think if someone asked me that question in a job interview I'd rather punch them in the face than get the job.

I seem to recall she seemed impressed by Kilau's interviewing technique of asking what the interviewee's best Scrabble score was.

I think if someone asked me that question in a job interview I'd rather punch them in the face than get the job.

:down: Thats disgusting. Not the punching, I'm fully behind that. But the question...just...Kilau :(

Still love the wee place though.

Luckily for me the manager who interviewed me asked me who my favourite band was. I replied 'Sleater-Kinney' and I think that's what got me the job, as they're his favourite band too. Hooray!

As for whether or not my taste in music definitely got my the job, I think the fact that I said I am not easily offended got me the job moreso than a shared love of Sleater-Kinney. Also, I'm a competent employee.

It's not so much the job as the chat in the staffroom. It's not that bad most of the time, but if you get a certain combination of staff in said room at the same time it can get fairly graphic. I suppose some people would be offended by it. Used to be worse but then No Pasaran moved to Edinburgh!

It's not so much the job as the chat in the staffroom. It's not that bad most of the time, but if you get a certain combination of staff in said room at the same time it can get fairly graphic. I suppose some people would be offended by it. Used to be worse but then No Pasaran moved to Edinburgh!

jim's tache was pretty offensive...

• 1 year later...

Hmm yes I think your grammar and spelling may have something to do with it! Pretty important to get it right when filling out applications. Also, did you ever think that maybe positions in retail always lessen after Xmas? That's when shops get rid of people, not hire. Also, I've never seen anyone that works in HMV or Waterstones wearing a low cut top - think Mr. Walker may just have been pulling your leg - seems to me a bit of snobbery going on there. Must think he's a turntable maestro too good to shop in well, shops...

Hmm yes I think your grammar and spelling may have something to do with it! Pretty important to get it right when filling out applications. Also, did you ever think that maybe positions in retail always lessen after Xmas? That's when shops get rid of people, not hire. Also, I've never seen anyone that works in HMV or Waterstones wearing a low cut top - think Mr. Walker may just have been pulling your leg - seems to me a bit of snobbery going on there. Must think he's a turntable maestro too good to shop in well, shops...

This is a thread from 2009.

Guest Giles Walker

Well i used to wear low cut tops in HMV, whilst showing off my turntable maestro-ness on the decks in there, using records i had bought from shops...

So that kinda shits on your theory a bit eh?