aberdeen-music

Anyone work in HMV or Waterstones?

Willie2804

Guest Giles Walker

I would suggest wearing tight revealing clothes, maybe a low cut top and a pair of trousers that show off your bulge. Make sure you have some nice cologne and your hair is clean and shiny. Try to avoid wearing a top with a slogan like "Daddy's little slut" or "100% Cumdumpster" because these are qualities that shops frown upon you advertising.

Maybe a bit of eye makeup, but not too much, you don't want to look like you are trying too hard, maybe a light dusting of glitter as well.

When you hand in your CV make sure you lean over the counter so there is a clear view down your top and whisper something suggestive to person behind the counter ("i'm keeping you in mind baby" worked for me) also make sure your hand is very moisturized so when you shake the persons hand they can feel that you take a pride in the softness of your skin.

You should remember that they want someone who has an interest in what they are selling as well, when i applied for my job at HMV i also bought five copies of the Norah Jones album, so they knew i had a passion for music. Buying multiple copies of the same thing shows that you really care about this artist or author doing well.

You need to make sure that you come across as an individual too, places like HMV and Waterstones like to have interesting, cool people working for them. When i was in my interview i casually threw in that i loved going to strip clubs and had a pretty heavy drink and drug problem, which led to me getting involved in a lot of fights. The boss will be thinking "this guy will be a hoot at the staff parties" i also performed a couple of magic tricks.

It's a good idea to mention that you are sexually attracted to both male and female members of staff since in these days of heightened political correctness you can sometimes sound old fashioned leering at just the female members of staff.

I'm sure there are other things people can add to this list, but these things all worked for me and i was soon working for HMV and having an ace time.

• Upvote 6

I would suggest wearing tight revealing clothes, maybe a low cut top and a pair of trousers that show off your bulge. Make sure you have some nice cologne and your hair is clean and shiny. Try to avoid wearing a top with a slogan like "Daddy's little slut" or "100% Cumdumpster" because these are qualities that shops frown upon you advertising.

Maybe a bit of eye makeup, but not too much, you don't want to look like you are trying too hard, maybe a light dusting of glitter as well.

When you hand in your CV make sure you lean over the counter so there is a clear view down your top and whisper something suggestive to person behind the counter ("i'm keeping you in mind baby" worked for me) also make sure your hand is very moisturized so when you shake the persons hand they can feel that you take a pride in the softness of your skin.

You should remember that they want someone who has an interest in what they are selling as well, when i applied for my job at HMV i also bought five copies of the Norah Jones album, so they knew i had a passion for music. Buying multiple copies of the same thing shows that you really care about this artist or author doing well.

You need to make sure that you come across as an individual too, places like HMV and Waterstones like to have interesting, cool people working for them. When i was in my interview i casually threw in that i loved going to strip clubs and had a pretty heavy drink and drug problem, which led to me getting involved in a lot of fights. The boss will be thinking "this guy will be a hoot at the staff parties" i also performed a couple of magic tricks.

It's a good idea to mention that you are sexually attracted to both male and female members of staff since in these days of heightened political correctness you can sometimes sound old fashioned leering at just the female members of staff.

I'm sure there are other things people can add to this list, but these things all worked for me and i was soon working for HMV and having an ace time.

Testify! All of the above worked when I got my job.

Also, the simple fact that it's just after Xmas and all of the permanent jobs would have been given to Xmas temps may give you an idea as to why we're not really hiring at the moment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha, think you kinda summed up most the staff in thoughs places.

Don't even bother. HMV is a shit place to work. The people are cliche, the work is boring, the music is shit.

If you're interested in music and books...like 99.9% of the population then maybe try and find work in a independant publishers,a music venue or recording studio. *Those* are cool and inteteresting places to work.

Don't even bother. HMV is a shit place to work. The people are cliche, the work is boring, the music is shit.

If you're interested in music and books...like 99.9% of the population then maybe try and find work in a independant publishers,a music venue or recording studio. *Those* are cool and inteteresting places to work.

But mostly damn hard to get a job in!

Guest Giles Walker

Have you actually worked in HMV?

I had an alright time there, i worked upstairs for most of it, we listened to soundtracks in the DVD department and i could stick on jazz and folk albums when i was in the specialties department. I got on really well with the staff and still speak to a quite a few of them now. It was generally quite busy, so the time went by pretty fast as well.

Admittedly i have had better jobs, but i don't think it's fair to give such a damning review.

I think your message kind of sums up a lot of the reasons why Aberdeen Music is a bit lame sometimes. You are trying to appear to know of some underground, subversive counter culture scene but you are offering up no practical advice at all.

You have no substance behind your aggressive tone and will probably live out your life frustrated, confused and having never really taken part in anything *cool* or *interesting*

Oh and by the way YOUR chat is way more *cliched* than anybody i ever met working in HMV.

Enjoy looking for that perfect job that ticks all of the boxes for your unrealistic ideals.

• Upvote 1

Waterstones ain't taking on staff at the moment, maybe try in a couple of months.

hmv store careers < here's the link to application forms for HMV though. You have to scroll to the bottom of the main page.

As for folk working in bookshops with poor spelling and grammar...well....some of the folk I have worked with, and some I still do work with, are remarkably dim.

Have you actually worked in HMV?

I had an alright time there, i worked upstairs for most of it, we listened to soundtracks in the DVD department and i could stick on jazz and folk albums when i was in the specialties department. I got on really well with the staff and still speak to a quite a few of them now. It was generally quite busy, so the time went by pretty fast as well.

Admittedly i have had better jobs, but i don't think it's fair to give such a damning review.

I think your message kind of sums up a lot of the reasons why Aberdeen Music is a bit lame sometimes. You are trying to appear to know of some underground, subversive counter culture scene but you are offering up no practical advice at all.

You have no substance behind your aggressive tone and will probably live out your life frustrated, confused and having never really taken part in anything *cool* or *interesting*

Oh and by the way YOUR chat is way more *cliched* than anybody i ever met working in HMV.

Enjoy looking for that perfect job that ticks all of the boxes for your unrealistic ideals.

Bravo!!!!!

I have tried so hard to get a job in both places but im not sure what im doing wrong. Any information on the best route to apply and when would be great?

Cheers

My mate got a job in HMV cos he filled out the online application and performed well at the interview. I don't think there is any secret to it. Maybe they just don't like the cut of your jib?

Are you trying to get into a failing industry so you can lose your job and get a wad of redundancy pay? Is that what it is?

Seeing Zavvi go down the tubes so fast, why on earth would you want to commit yourself to a job at HMV? If you love music so much, why don't you pester OneUp or something? They seem to have a new petite girl working in their every week. That could be you. The new petite girl could be you.

Guest treader.

Maybe you're shit, and you dont like books, film and music ENOUGH. I suggest reading every book Waterstones sell, and listening to every CD and watching every DVD they sell in HMV.