aberdeen-music

Help with CuBase

Alphas

I recently installed CuBase but haven't been able to get it working. I bought a cable to connect guitar to laptop (a SoundTech Lightsnake) but CuBase doesn't seem to detect it in the USB port. The only luck I have had recording is through the internal mic so it is possible to record, just not through the USB.

I have followed the instructions pretty closely but can't seem to get anything to work. I've also tried changing the settings on the Control Panel on my laptop and while it seems to pick up my guitar it still doesn't work on CuBase.

Has anyone had a simlar problem? I may be missing something obvious but starting to get a bit pissed off with it now!

I recently installed CuBase but haven't been able to get it working. I bought a cable to connect guitar to laptop (a SoundTech Lightsnake) but CuBase doesn't seem to detect it in the USB port. The only luck I have had recording is through the internal mic so it is possible to record, just not through the USB.

I have followed the instructions pretty closely but can't seem to get anything to work. I've also tried changing the settings on the Control Panel on my laptop and while it seems to pick up my guitar it still doesn't work on CuBase.

Has anyone had a simlar problem? I may be missing something obvious but starting to get a bit pissed off with it now!

Which Cubase do you have ?

I have Cubase LE, quite an old one, but works fine (with an update)....

I use my Zoom G2.1u Effects pedal as a USB Interface (which uses the ASIO v1.0.1E plug-in)....

I think Cubase needs some kind of USB interface (latency etc.) to connect guitar to comp... but I could be wrong !

Lightsnake USB - JACK Cable/Soundcard (GAK) - its this you have, yes?

right, make sure its installed and recognised by the computer. it's an integrated interface so the computer should have done a little bit of thinking about it when you plugged it in - make sure if it came with any software that you've installed it, and its in control panel and showing up.

Now, open cubase. On the top bar, go to Devices/Device setup, and on the VST Audio System pane there should be a little drop down box with the words ASIO driver next to it. make sure your lightsnake is listed, it'll probably be named usb audio device

if not, it hasnt properly installed, uninstall and try again. i had that problem with a usb-midi cable i got from bruce millers ages ago, never buying one of those nameless useless fuckers ever again.

once you've done that, make sure in your VST connections pane (press F4 to access it) that it's set up as one of the inputs (pretty self explanatory how to do that!)

so'ted:up:

Cheers for the help guys. Played around with the settings in Control Panel and seemed to allow CuBase to recognise the USB connection. Still a long way to go to grips with it but a start anyway!

To be honest mate, I'm still tryin' to figure it out too.....

I can record and playback tracks etc.... but still have'nt worked out how to set left and right channels and then mixdown to wma/mp3 ?? Anyone tell me how ??

To be honest mate, I'm still tryin' to figure it out too.....

I can record and playback tracks etc.... but still have'nt worked out how to set left and right channels and then mixdown to wma/mp3 ?? Anyone tell me how ??

what do you mean by set left/right channels?

and to mix down, go to file/export/audio mixdown

there should be a drop down list letting you specify what you want to output as, if MP3 isnt there, then your version of cubase is one without the mpeg encoder codec, and they usually try to charge you for it.

what to do as a neat workaround, is just use itune's ability to creat an AAC/MP3 version of a song - export your song from cubase as a wav, open it up in itunes, and convert from there. easy :)

what do you mean by set left/right channels?

and to mix down, go to file/export/audio mixdown

there should be a drop down list letting you specify what you want to output as, if MP3 isnt there, then your version of cubase is one without the mpeg encoder codec, and they usually try to charge you for it.

what to do as a neat workaround, is just use itune's ability to creat an AAC/MP3 version of a song - export your song from cubase as a wav, open it up in itunes, and convert from there. easy :)

Sorry Scott, I should have said "Locators"

When I go to File - Export - Audio Mixdown

I get the message "The Left and Right Locators must be set" ?????

Sorry Scott, I should have said "Locators"

When I go to File - Export - Audio Mixdown

I get the message "The Left and Right Locators must be set" ?????

I've never seen Cubase before but from other programs i would assume that your left and right locators set where the track starts playing and ends. You can probably find them on the main window along the top somewhere, by the timeline.

Hope this is of some help.

yup, good ol' iTunes! I use ProTools but didn't want to pay for the privelage of creating .mp3s so I use the same method as you!!