aberdeen-music

Amps again

Chris

So I'm thinking at some point this year it might be nice to get rid of my big solid state combo and replace it with something valve based.

What's good for rock/metal as well as a good clean sound? Would Fenders etc be a bad choice? Always thought they'd be too lightweight in the rock stakes.

How much wattage is needed? Most places these days will mic up the cab anyway.

Aside from the make question what's a good setup to go for? I don't have a room in my flat to store a 4 speaker cab. So I was thinking of either a head, attenuator (so I could use it for practice at low volume) and 1x12 or 2x12 cab arrangement. The option is a 1x12 or 2x12 combo.

What's the benefit of one over the other? I quite like the idea of having a head that I can easily transport to practice and plug into the cabs at musical vision so I'd be practicing with the same amp as I'd be gigging with, while the combo option would only get taken to gigs. But the combo is probably cheaper and budget would be an issue (don't want to be spending more than 400 overall).

I know some of this was recently gone over in Rob's thread, but his needs are probably different to mine and I don't really have a lot of knowledge when it comes to amps anyway.

Hey there,

Yeah i wouldn't go for Fender amps as your right, they won't suit. You can use them, just like any amp, but your not going to get that gritty uber rock tone you want. Fenders are great clean wise, nothing better out there apart from some boutique amps but for overall sound i'd go for Mesa Boogie or if thats too much cash for you i'd pick the actual dedicated rock amp of Randall. They have a good tone and not too expensive.

Good luck dude

Would go for a fender to be honest. Also you're not gonna need more than a 50W head.

400 really isn't that much to work with if you're after quality... even second hand that isn't gonna get you that much.

what about this:

Orange Tiny Terror Combo (GAK)

If you fancied spending a bit more, an orange head would be a great choice - I could definitely see you being an Orange type of guy, Chris.

The cleans aren't amazing, and it's a few quid more but the Marshall DSL 50, but this is a standard all round kind of amp.

But like I say, 400 for a tube amp that has nice cleans but can also do rock/metal is not gonna happen. Save up for a little longer and get something that you're really happy with, unless of course your current set-up sounds like utter dirt.

I think one idea would be the marshall DSL50 - Can pick them up cheap enough and they are decent for what you need. Easy maintenance on them when it comes to revalving as they have external bias points. You don't need to poke around inside and be subjected to lethal voltages.

Channel 1 has a nice clean sound.

Not really sure of anything else in that price range valve based and reliable.

I think one idea would be the marshall DSL50 - Can pick them up cheap enough and they are decent for what you need. Easy maintenance on them when it comes to revalving as they have external bias points. You don't need to poke around inside and be subjected to lethal voltages.

Channel 1 has a nice clean sound.

Not really sure of anything else in that price range valve based and reliable.

haha, I was editing my post before you wrote this.

But yeah, I agree with Brian. A second hand DSL 50 would probably be your best bet.

Although I have heard those orang tiny terrors are pretty fucking loud, as well good.

Would go for a fender to be honest. Also you're not gonna need more than a 50W head.

400 really isn't that much to work with if you're after quality... even second hand that isn't gonna get you that much.

what about this:

Orange Tiny Terror Combo (GAK)

If you fancied spending a bit more, an orange head would be a great choice - I could definitely see you being an Orange type of guy, Chris.

The cleans aren't amazing, and it's a few quid more but the Marshall DSL 50, but this is a standard all round kind of amp.

But like I say, 400 for a tube amp that has nice cleans but can also do rock/metal is not gonna happen. Save up for a little longer and get something that you're really happy with, unless of course your current set-up sounds like utter dirt.

I could spend a little more later in the year perhaps. I did look at a tiny terror online yesterday actually.

My current setup makes do really. Could certainly be improved (currently metal zone into a big solid state Laney) though.

What about the head vs combo question?

Whats the going rate these days for a 2nd hand Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 head and 4 x 12 cab? Awesome amps.....I have one I want rid of....

The new ones just went up in price. Marshall raised the price on their 1960 4x12's.

You used to get them new at the cheapest online for about 329 and now they are on average 440 i think. At that price you are best spending an extra 100 quid and getting a Mesa 2x12 or a cornford 2x12. Better quality wood and build, and the speakers.

I think you can pick up a marshall cab second hand for about 250 to 300 in very good nick. Head, i would think would go for about 3 to 4 hundred depending on the condition.

The new ones just went up in price. Marshall raised the price on their 1960 4x12's.

I think you can pick up a marshall cab second hand for about 250 to 300 in very good nick. Head, i would think would go for about 3 to 4 hundred depending on the condition.

I've got a 70's vintage 4x12 cab and DSL 50 head for sale for less than that:up:

actually - this might be worth a look at. It's just been released so god knows when it will actually hit shops or how much it'll cost... Original one was within your budget so this will hopefully be in the vicinity.

Gak have that for about 440. I've already spotted it :up:

It's really tempting but I'm a bit wary of buying a chinese amp...

Wattage isn't a huge factor, but it does depend on what the amp offers. A 50watt single channel amp is going to have much more volume headroom than a 50watt 3 or 4 channel amp. This is one of the reasons why the Marshall TSL is best avoided, as it sounds weak and scratchy. A 100watt JCM800 is often too loud for small venues unless you get an Attenuator, which soaks the power between the head and the cab, meaning you can get that saturated valve crunch at a lower volume. Without this, you'll strugle to get a good tone out of it at an acceptable gigging volume as the valves just won't get hot enough.

However, the Orange Tiny Terror isn't really gig worthy. It's much more suited for recording, i.e. where you need that valve tone but at a lower volume. It could be mic'd up I suppose, but you're going to struggle to hear it on stage, and you'll struggle even more if you play a small venue that doesn't mic up cabs. Also, if you're wanting a metal overdrive, the Tiny Terror is going to scream the feedback at you.

As has been said, the Marshall DSL50 is a good piece of kit. It's not going to blow you away with quality, but it does the job and does it well. It drives hard (but is very limited in terms of tone, but it could be coloured with an EQ or an OD pedal) and the clean is immaculate. If you are wanting to use clean alot, then I would seriously avoid the JCM900 which just doesn't clean up well at all.

A combo is a good bet, because it will be loud enough for a reasonable venue, and if you turn up and there's a cab available to use, then you can plug it right in, giving you a 6x10 output (if it's a 2x12 combo you're using of course). Destroying!