aberdeen-music

First Ever Gig?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Inspired by the stories in the Ride / Verve thread..........

What was the first gig you ever attended...?

Mine is a surprisingly credible Radiohead, AECC, November (I think...), 1997, aged 15.

It was absolutely amazing.

They were supported by Teenage Fanclub who I had never heard of at the time, and didn't really appreciate at the time :(

(Second ever gig was Cast at the Music Hall - not quite so credible, but I loved it! :) )

1st was AC/DC at the AECC supported by the Wildhearts. I was 15 or 16 and built like a toothpick, I ran right down to the front row when we got in and then got totally squashed when AC/DC came on. I literally don't think my feet touched the floor for the first few songs and I got knocked over but a bunch of bikers helped me up :up: my first experience of gig cameraderie. I ended up going back a few rows to avoid the crush and enjoyed the gig immensely.

2nd was Skunk Anansie at the Music Hall in 96. I met Cass and Skin before the gig. I've still got Cass' autograph somewhere I think. I was also at the Radiohead gig above, it was excellent.

Terrorvision at the music hall. Awesome gig. Just after they gatecrashed the top 10 with Perseverance.

2nd was Skunk Anansie, also at the music hall and also a great gig.

Terrorvision was my first too, and I went to Skunk Anansie also. Skin felating the theramin opened my teenage peepers to a world of rock antics!

Notable gigs from around that time: 3 Colours Red/Symposium at the Lemontree; Will Haven/Psycore/Tura Santana at the Lemontree; The Manics at the Music Hall, Clutch/Therapy? at the Lemontree. Good times....

Terrorvision was my first too, and I went to Skunk Anansie also. Skin felating the theramin opened my teenage peepers to a world of rock antics!

Notable gigs from around that time: 3 Colours Red/Symposium at the Lemontree; Will Haven/Psycore/Tura Santana at the Lemontree; The Manics at the Music Hall, Clutch/Therapy? at the Lemontree. Good times....

I'm totally jealous of the Manics at Music Hall, my big brothers were both there and tell a great story about that day. Bastards. I was only 14, and probably didn't really know who the Manics were......

I also missed their last gig at Music Hall, which both my brothers went to. I was stuck in work on a bloody Sunday night. I work about 2 minutes from the Music Hall, and got a text from my mate saying he had a spare ticket, but I just couldn't get away. I also missed a Manics SECC gig in 1998 because I got bloody chickenpox. I did finally see them at SECC circa 2001. Ian Brown supporting. He was shite. I bought a t-shirt which said "All Rock'n'Roll is Homosexual" which I thought was hilarious at the time...

Status Quo at the AECC in the early ninieties...man that was shit. Remeber getting dragged to it by my cousin and it was fucking awful.

(didn't wanna put in Kylie Minogue "gig" from 88/89 time in)

Kylie was your first gig.

Awesome :up:

I'm totally jealous of the Manics at Music Hall, my big brothers were both there and tell a great story about that day. Bastards. I was only 14, and probably didn't really know who the Manics were......

I also missed their last gig at Music Hall, which both my brothers went to. I was stuck in work on a bloody Sunday night. I work about 2 minutes from the Music Hall, and got a text from my mate saying he had a spare ticket, but I just couldn't get away. I also missed a Manics SECC gig in 1998 because I got bloody chickenpox. I did finally see them at SECC circa 2001. Ian Brown supporting. He was shite. I bought a t-shirt which said "All Rock'n'Roll is Homosexual" which I thought was hilarious at the time...

I'm sure I was at another gig the same night as the Manics played so I didn't go to it. I went through a phase of hating the Manics with a passion, around the time were releasing shite like Tsunami and If You Tolerate This, though I did really like the Everything Must Go album. In fact I remember watching them at Leeds 2001 and complaining all the way through it, so I went and watched Rocket From The Crypt instead. :rockon:

It wasn't till I discovered the Manics back catalogue that I really got into them.

My first was the infamous Siouxsie & the Banshees gig at the Capital 07/09/79, when Morris & McKay fucked off.

Support from the Scars & the Cure (who ended up doing two sets). While queuing to get my 2.25 ticket refunded heard Severins bass rumble & rushed back to see Siouxsie, Steve, Robert Smith & Lol Tolhurst do a 20 min version of the lords prayer :up:

Mine was Ocean Colour Scene at the AECC, circa 96/97. 'Marchin' Already' tour.

Support was from a Brummie band called Sergeant funnily enough, and PP Arnold who sang on 'It's A Beautiful Thing'.

And from then on, I never looked back!

I was there, about 15 years old and trying to pull some hottie that looked like Natalie Imbruglia and failing badly......

Don't remember Sergeant supporting - do remember PP Arnold though. I still remember to this day she was wearing a very figure hugging dress and she had a wee pot belly...

Also - reply to Lucky - I just recalled I watched Manics at Glasto 2007, right at the front, and there only seemed to be about 10 of us who were actually Manics fans, the rest of the crowd were there to see some shite band who were on after them, I forget now who it was...

Mine was Ocean Colour Scene at the AECC, circa 96/97. 'Marchin' Already' tour.

Support was from a Brummie band called Sergeant funnily enough, and PP Arnold who sang on 'It's A Beautiful Thing'.

And from then on, I never looked back!

I was there too...

brilliant gig..though i remeber Oscar Harrison (drummer) going about pre gig with Jim Leighton which was quite surreal.