aberdeen-music

Ride, supported by The Verve, The Capitol, 1992

What Scene?

Did any of you 'older' users of this forum attend this gig in Aberdeen during Ride's 'Going Blank Again' tour?

I actually feel sick when I hear some of my older chums talking about it! Ride did a record signing in HMV on the day of the gig apparently, and a few folk I know got suspended from school for skiving!

Would be interested to hear anyones' stories.......

Did any of you 'older' users of this forum attend this gig in Aberdeen during Ride's 'Going Blank Again' tour?

I actually feel sick when I hear some of my older chums talking about it! Ride did a record signing in HMV on the day of the gig apparently, and a few folk I know got suspended from school for skiving!

Would be interested to hear anyones' stories.......

One of my mates stayed in the bar during Verve's set - he still regrets this.

I was there. Ride weren't a patch on their earlier Music Hall gig due to the 'Going Blank Again' album, 'Leave Them All Behind' aside, being a definite slide in quality from 'Nowhere'.

Verve were pretty great, I'm not sure that they had even had their first single out at that point. They were a far better band on those early 3 singles than they ever were from the debut album on. I distinctly remember Richard Ashcroft robbing one of the cymbal stands and laying it at the front of the stage for kids to hit and inviting the crowd on the stage, cue panic stricken security trying to get a load of folk off the stage.

I remember trying to get a Verve T shirt and the guy at the stall asking if I was the person who had asked for one to be put aside earlier as they were otherwise sold out. Naturally I said yes so obtaining a T shirt while some poor twat went without, arf.

See that's the sort've thing I was after!

Yeah, a 'Nowhere' - era show at the Music Hall would have been pretty special to me. But hey, such is life! Doesn't stop ye wishing you went though!!!

Early Verve to me, 'All In The Mind' through to 'Storm In Heaven', I find incredible. The rest I can live without (a few tracks aside!) 8-)

yeah if i was older than 12 in 1992 i'd have loved to have been there, obviously just a bit older so that i was old enough to appreciate it & remember it and maybe designated driver that night so that i didn't get hammered and miss/forget it!

wish i'd been there to see the roses at the music hall in 1995 too just when i was discovering some decent music and they were probably on the downslide.

then there was that time my brother got tickets for the super furry animals and we forgot about it, wonder if that was any good.

managed to see some bands at certain stages which is cool but i think i've fairly gone off topic, sorry...

yeah the music hall gig was great, i don't remember much about it though or who the support were. i do seem to recall the twin peaks soundtrack album being played before the bands came on though which added to the atmosphere in the venue. i didn't go to the capitol gig, not sure why but wish i had...

edit - gig info

nope i still have no recollection of the support at all. pity slowdive didn't make it to the aberdeen gig, that would have been amazing