aberdeen-music

RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch

framheim

I wish I could have done this at my Ma's house.

Last time I was sitting in my room revising, there was a dirty great hawk like bird (probably not a hawk but I have little to no knowledge of birds (the feathered kind) so that's how Im going to describe it) on a branch of a tree about 20 feet from my room in the wooded area behind my house.

Sadly by the time I found my camera it flew away.

Great photos Dave. Your garden is definitely very good for birds - GS Woodpecker, Blackcap, Redpoll and Goldcrest are all good ones to get. I was away this weekend (making recordings of ducks, swans and geese on the Solway) so didn't do the garden birdwatch. I don't actually get too much in my (shared) garden even though my house list (i.e. the birds I've seen from my flat, and not just in the garden) is around 90 species. It's amazing what you can see in beautiful Torry with the aid of powerful optical equipment.

And, as you know, I'm interested in birds to an almost worrying extent, so would definitely make up for any assumed lack of interest from elsewhere on the forum. In other words, keep posting this stuff.

No fucking way!!

Well there you go Dave. Someone genuinely interested in feathery critters.

Great photos Dave. Your garden is definitely very good for birds - GS Woodpecker, Blackcap, Redpoll and Goldcrest are all good ones to get. I was away this weekend (making recordings of ducks, swans and geese on the Solway) so didn't do the garden birdwatch. I don't actually get too much in my (shared) garden even though my house list (i.e. the birds I've seen from my flat, and not just in the garden) is around 90 species. It's amazing what you can see in beautiful Torry with the aid of powerful optical equipment.

And, as you know, I'm interested in birds to an almost worrying extent, so would definitely make up for any assumed lack of interest from elsewhere on the forum. In other words, keep posting this stuff.

thanks mr owl!

although i'm obviously chuffed with the woodpecker i think the goldcrest is my favourite visitor just now. always had a soft spot for them and it's been years since i've seen one.

obviously living in torry you have the advantage of being near the birding beacon that is the ness. you just need to persuade them to come and sit awhile :)

Goldcrests are really great Dave. There were quite a few last autumn along the coast which had just flown across the North Sea. It's always remarkable and rather humbling to see such tiny birds after they've crossed a rough sea. Firecrests are really great too. Maybe there'll be one or two this year - they're rare up here though.

Actually I can't really understand why anyone would think birding is unlikely to attract much interest from people on a music forum. Artists like Sufjan Stevens, British Sea Power and quite a few others have claimed to be birders and birds crop up in one way or another in loads of songs. And birds are of course rather musical themselves (and maybe the origins of human music lie in bird music).

By the way, if you want to read some amusing stuff about birding then just google the phrase 'mindless swearing'.

Goldcrests are really great Dave. There were quite a few last autumn along the coast which had just flown across the North Sea. It's always remarkable and rather humbling to see such tiny birds after they've crossed a rough sea. Firecrests are really great too. Maybe there'll be one or two this year - they're rare up here though.

Actually I can't really understand why anyone would think birding is unlikely to attract much interest from people on a music forum. Artists like Sufjan Stevens, British Sea Power and quite a few others have claimed to be birders and birds crop up in one way or another in loads of songs. And birds are of course rather musical themselves (and maybe the origins of human music lie in bird music).

By the way, if you want to read some amusing stuff about birding then just google the phrase 'mindless swearing'.

i'm sure i read that one of the members of british sea power was taking part in one of the bigger rspb events at the weekend.

incidentally this is my favourite bird clip:

YouTube - Amazing! Bird sounds from the lyre bird - David Attenborough - BBC wildlife

A lot of venom for birdwatching. Weird.

I fear putting a feeder in the garden would attract more cats than anything else, but thanks for sharing the photos!

you just have to be sensible where to put the feeders. try and get them away from anywhere a cat can hide and leap out at them. having them at a decent height helps as well.

you can also get window feeders for if you live in flat or just want a close look at the birds.

i'm always a little torn about the cat thing. i'm big on cats but also like birds. guess at the end of the day it's just nature taking it's course.

Loads of birds come to my garden - unfortunately nane o the scantily clad variety . I dinna ken the names of most of the birds that visit - there's loads of wee brighly couloured spurdies, pigeons, magpies, blackbirds and thrushes and occasionally birds of prey .I will try to take some photos .

The only drawback I've thought of is that birds may use them while I'm trying to sleep and the cat will make very loud noises at them.

It's bad enough that he already thinks when all the lights get switched off and I'm in bed, that it's a sign for him to start running laps round the flat and meow as loud as he can.

The only drawback I've thought of is that birds may use them while I'm trying to sleep and the cat will make very loud noises at them.

It's bad enough that he already thinks when all the lights get switched off and I'm in bed, that it's a sign for him to start running laps round the flat and meow as loud as he can.

Stevie does that too, wee bugger!! or pays with her carrier bag...(yup she loves it bestest toy!! doesn't do too much with her cat toys, bags n boxes all the way)

She's quite good in the morning tho, she's taken to lying next to me and battering my face with her tail (aye there is no bum in my face btw she's lying down), then will stand onthe floor with two front paws on the bed and paw my face coupled with lots of meows....FOOOOOD MUM.....FOOOD!!

then will stand onthe floor with two front paws on the bed and paw my face coupled with lots of meows....FOOOOOD MUM.....FOOOD!!

Yeah Gizmo does that to me. Only once my alarm goes off though and he thinks he might get a favourable response. Then I actually go and put food in his dish and he doesn't eat. Just looks at me as if to say "Go-Cat again? Thanks, I'll maybe have some later."

Yeah Gizmo does that to me. Only once my alarm goes off though and he thinks he might get a favourable response. Then I actually go and put food in his dish and he doesn't eat. Just looks at me as if to say "Go-Cat again? Thanks, I'll maybe have some later."

(sorry for thread hijack last one promise!)

Yeah I get the same look when asking if food in dish, but some stroking and talking to her she starts to eat...weird but works

• 1 month later...
How do you know that you're not counting the same bird more than once?

you only count the most you have in the garden at one time. so if you have 5 starlings then they fly off and in ten minutes you have another 4 starlings all sitting in your garden you don't add anything to your total. if you then get 6 starlings in your garden all at once then you add 1 more starling to your total.

No, I don't think he did. And I don't think people making unnecessarily hostile comments on the thread subject is in any way helpful or conducive to the friendly atmosphere we're trying to propagate on the site. If you're not interested in birdwatching, don't bother contributing to the thread. I really don't want to see a situation arise again where people are afraid to discuss topics for fear of being trolled.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

what a load of nonsense, its ok to tear three layers of shit out of a dead person, its ok to take the piss out of youngesters who have had kids, all really generating a great atmosphere. The wind up thread was allowed to carry on with insults flying about everywhere and tons of unneeded comments that added nothing to the discussion but as soon as your mate starts a bird watching thread you come across with this crap.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

what a load of nonsense, its ok to tear three layers of shit out of a dead person, its ok to take the piss out of youngesters who have had kids, all really generating a great atmosphere. The wind up thread was allowed to carry on with insults flying about everywhere and tons of unneeded comments that added nothing to the discussion but as soon as your mate starts a bird watching thread you come across with this crap.

dave and i aren't friends. sorry to kill your wacky conspiracy there.