Blue Tit - 2

Great Tit - 2

Coal Tit - 1

Chaffinch - 2

Greenfinch - 3

Starling - 9

Woodpigeon - 1

I'd take part, but the most I'd see living in town would be a seagull:down:

you'd be surprised. so long as you've got something to hang a feeder from you can attract a good range of birds in the centre of town.

all the birds i saw in my hour bar the woodpecker are potential visitors in the centre of aberdeen. we're quite lucky as we've got a lot of green space in town which supports a good variety of wildlife.

it's also important to record a lack of birds so that the rspb can find out if there's any species which are declining. house sparrows have declined by around 60% in the last few years putting them on a watch list of birds which could become endangered. i had a pair who would nest outside my bedroom window when i lived in rosemount. it was nice watching them build their nest every spring(if you like that kind of thing).

I wish I'd known about this yesterday when I was staying over at my girlfriend's. Her garden's much better for birds than mine, which is just basically seagull, seagull, seagull, seagull, seagull, magpie with what may possibly be the remains of a blue tit in its mouth, seagull, seagull etc...

i meant to post something up earlier in the week but forgot. you should look closely at those gulls though as there could be some unusual ones in there. i think familiarity means that we don't really pay attention to them but there is no such breed as a seagull. it's quite tricky to tell some of them apart though(it's a common problem for even seasoned birders) which i guess is why people just go with seagull, me included.

as i said in my previous post, even the seemingly mundane needs to be recorded.

also, you can do it at any point of the year really just for your own curiosity or pleasure. it's quite relaxing watching the wee birds flitting between the feeders.

I seriously doubt there are enough people on this board interested in bird watching, let alone enough to necessitate an entire thread.

Dave, wise up. :down:

I don't think that is fair, I have enjoyed this thread just for Dave's photos. Maybe this thread will spur peoples' interest in the subject, which is no bad thing.

I seriously doubt there are enough people on this board interested in bird watching, let alone enough to necessitate an entire thread.

that's a bit unfair. i hadn't even taken those photo's when i started this thread. there are at least a couple of people interested in birdwatching on this site and the point of rspb big garden birdwatch is to raise awareness of what happens in your garden for those who aren't already into it.

you don't need to be an active birdwatcher to look out the window and notice you've got some birds in your garden.

Wirelessly posted (LG/KU990-Orange/v10f Browser/Obigo-Q05A/3.6 MMS/LG-MMS-V1.0/1.2 Java/ASVM/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Also my bird photos aren't really that good. I need a longer lens as these had to be cropped a fair bit. It's nice if folk like them but i take pictures of birds just for my own amusement.

Great photos Dave. Your garden is definitely very good for birds - GS Woodpecker, Blackcap, Redpoll and Goldcrest are all good ones to get. I was away this weekend (making recordings of ducks, swans and geese on the Solway) so didn't do the garden birdwatch. I don't actually get too much in my (shared) garden even though my house list (i.e. the birds I've seen from my flat, and not just in the garden) is around 90 species. It's amazing what you can see in beautiful Torry with the aid of powerful optical equipment.

And, as you know, I'm interested in birds to an almost worrying extent, so would definitely make up for any assumed lack of interest from elsewhere on the forum. In other words, keep posting this stuff.

I'm well up for this thread ...Good on you dave.....Myself included have been ignorant to the species of birds that come into my garden...Due to programmes like spring watch and even one of daves pictures i now know certain species by recognition....Some of the smallest birds in your garden go on to travel thousands & thousands of miles every year and then return to your garden......I find that absolutly fascinating.