aberdeen-music

Favourite places in the north east?

framheim

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bennachie

I've climbed it once, not doing it again.

My idea of a day out with mates is getting pissed, going bowling or something along those lines. Climbing Bennachie is NOT what I'd call a bonding day out.

I got dragged up it on the 2nd and people were actually sliding down on their bum from the top.

It was freezing, we were all split up into groups of 2 because we all walked at different speeds and complete strangers felt compelled to stop and say hi.

What the hell makes people want to climb all that way just to look fields?

cool, good shouts folks. i'm trying to compile a list of places to take photo's of that kind of sum up the north east. a few on there on my list and loads that i didn't have.

can you give a few reasons why you like these places and also where they are(i'm good but i don't know how to get to everywhere!).

where's roseisle, burghead, primrose bay and culbin sands?

for the record mine are probably catterline harbour, stonehaven war memorial(always know i'm home once i see that) and the walking along various points of the river dee. :)

Primrose bay (near Hopeman, which is north of Elgin)

HopemanSentinel.jpg

_wsb_433x300_0404_Cove_Bay.jpg

In the 2nd photo there is a cave in the right hand side where *apparently* sailors used to smuggle rum into the mainland. It is rumoured to be a kilometre or two long, but we've got too scared/muddy/wet about half a km in.

There is also a great wee chunk of the cliff missing, which means you can climb up and sit inside a cliff and watch the sunset with a few tins. Here's a picture of us on tour with Glasgow band Julia Thirteen (Jonny from Take a worm and Doc from Aereogramme present), sitting in said chunk of cliff.

775186509a4012328754b27886340l.jpg

Roseisle is up near Burghead and has a great big long beach which still has various beach defense points from WW2. Surrounded by forest and various picnic and barbeque points. Nothing too exciting, but great for walking the dog/going for a jog.

20060605-S1030619.jpg

aye, but where's burghead? :)

The Beach; especially Don est/Murcar/Bod side

(We're the only major city in Scotland with a beach...and a really good one at that! Why are we not better know for it? We have amazing coast lines here. Ok its not exactly warm but its still ace. Mind you the crap that has been allowed to built on the 'main' beach here is an embarrassment.)

Fittie

Duthie Park / Ferryhill. (old stompin ground)

Old Aberdeen through Seaton park to The Brig o' Balgownie (Great walk)

Albyn place/Queens Rd ( for big, impressvie, old granite buildings)

Scoulty Hill (Great for hungover sunny sunday afternoon walks)

Benachie

Gamrie/Gardenston

Braemar/Balleter

Haddo House (Great Gran lived on the estate. Amazing times kicking about there as a kid)

Crathes Castle

Lochnagar

Damn we're lucky to live in a great part of our fine land.

-

The Burn o' Vat

Possibly my favourite place in the world (on a sunny day). My friend and I were trying to explain it to another friend last night and all we could come up with was excited squeaks and references to Ferngully :S

The grounds of Haddo House are lovely to amble around on a frosty day as well.

cool, good shouts folks. i'm trying to compile a list of places to take photo's of that kind of sum up the north east. a few on there on my list and loads that i didn't have.

can you give a few reasons why you like these places and also where they are(i'm good but i don't know how to get to everywhere!).

where's roseisle, burghead, primrose bay and culbin sands?

for the record mine are probably catterline harbour, stonehaven war memorial(always know i'm home once i see that) and the walking along various points of the river dee. :)

Burghead is about 5 miles north west of elgin and its beautiful. There are lots of woods stretching along the bay to roseile - you can walk there through the forest - there are old fisher huts, shipwrecks and pillboxes. There is a rather nice b and b down the harbour run by a friendly family. They celebrate new year on the 11th of january with the burning of the clavie - a barrel filled with tar is taken in a procession up the main street and placed in romwell.

If you are looking for somewhere to doss head on up to the east shore and follow the cliffs round there is an old observation box under the cliff.

Since its a small place its easy to get from roseile - burghead - cumminestown - hopeman - lossiemouth - elgin - you can cycle from roseile to elgin without touching a road

Even better attempt the cycle whilst pissed, when i was about 5 me and some mates found a crate of beer in one of the old fisher huts and tried it, got as far as hopeman and were mesmerised by the big slide.

I would love to live there again :(

I've climbed it once, not doing it again.

My idea of a day out with mates is getting pissed, going bowling or something along those lines. Climbing Bennachie is NOT what I'd call a bonding day out.

I got dragged up it on the 2nd and people were actually sliding down on their bum from the top.

It was freezing, we were all split up into groups of 2 because we all walked at different speeds and complete strangers felt compelled to stop and say hi.

What the hell makes people want to climb all that way just to look fields?

because

abzshire1.jpg

It's a pretty unchallenging hill to climb really, I just love it because I've been going up it since I could walk, with my dad mostly, but me and my mates do actually go up on "bonding" days. It's great in deep snow.

Pah, Bennachie isn't worth getting out of bed for.

n288600018_44211_1509.jpg

This was worth every second, though...

As for places to go, I'd recommend the area around Ballater. There's just so much there - Loch Muick would be my recommendation, though.

don't be a dick, bennachie is certainly worth getting out of bed for. it's a fine hill/small mountain and certainly a good days walk.

where's that photo anyhoo? better not be fucking poland.

also i'm not just looking for places to go, i want to hear peoples reasons why these are your favourite places and what makes them special. yea i'm compiling a list but aside from generating discussion i want to go to these places with an understanding of what to try and capture about them.

so to take cloud's example here about loch muick, why is that one of your favourite places in the north east, what does it make you think of and what memories come back when you think of it? this should be particularly relevant to you now that you as an expat surely. Loch muick reminds me of a fine winters walk with my friends and discovering that it is indeed one of the windiest places in scotland.

some great posts though, my lists getting pretty extensive!

here's some pics i've taken of some of the places already mentioned here:

429518151_1b17f8d97c.jpg

Loch Muick

429519456_04134ce3e2.jpg

Bennachie

2245478786_b020e269fe.jpg

Dunnottar Castle

453064024_73bc515ca2.jpg

Stonehaven War Memorial

Those pics are amazing. Good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

thanks!

hopefully i can get more cracking pics of north east places and maybe, just maybe start to make a living out of this stuff :)

incidentally, has anyone ever bought a photo of somewhere they liked? doesn't have to be here but maybe a good photo of a holiday location or something.