aberdeen-music

Metronome beeps; how to get rid of...

dorkusmalorkus

hello,

i was just wondering if anyone had tips on how to get rid of software metronome bleeps from their recordings? had this problem a few times but as my new song is soley on acoustic guitar you can really hear the beeps in that background and its a bit shit.

i only have an LE version of my recording software so it doesn't offer any other sounds for the metronome, like a click or anything, so beeps it is. the acoustic was just mic'd up and did the mic just pick up the bleeps from my headphones when i was playing or....?

anyhoo, i've fiddled with the autogate and limiter in the dynamics but i seem to only ruin the 'naturalness' of the acoustic playing when i fuck with these (or i've not been patient enough!). but, yeah, can anyone help me oot?

Cheers, Davy.

Most likely the Mic picked up the beeps from your head phones. What software are you using? You could use a software synth/kit and set up a track with clicks/bangs/bird noises to use as a metronome.

As for getting rid of the sound you could try a very tight EQ on the frequency of the beep if you can manage to isolate it but this will possibly affect the sound of the guitar depending on the frequency.

I don't think phase cancellation would work as the bleed was from headphones and picked up by the mic so room acoustics,delay etc. will have changed the source sound but it's worth a try: record the beepy metronome onto a track (internally) and then reverse the phase of that track, you might need to shift it half a m/s or so (you should be able to sync up the beeps using your software's wave editor) but if it works you will have no beep and no effect on the guitar sound.

Confused ?( Just record the thing again!:up:

hello,

i was just wondering if anyone had tips on how to get rid of software metronome bleeps from their recordings? had this problem a few times but as my new song is soley on acoustic guitar you can really hear the beeps in that background and its a bit shit.

i only have an LE version of my recording software so it doesn't offer any other sounds for the metronome, like a click or anything, so beeps it is. the acoustic was just mic'd up and did the mic just pick up the bleeps from my headphones when i was playing or....?

anyhoo, i've fiddled with the autogate and limiter in the dynamics but i seem to only ruin the 'naturalness' of the acoustic playing when i fuck with these (or i've not been patient enough!). but, yeah, can anyone help me oot?

Cheers, Davy.

Sounds like you've picked up bleed from your headphones. Gating it won't help much, except when you're not actually playing the guitar. Limiting it will make it worse because you'll lower the dynamic range, making the metronome sound louder relative to your peak volume.

I agree with LFO that most remedies are doomed to failure. Your best bet is copying and pasting a section with just click on it (i.e. no guitar playing, coughing, finger-on-string noise etc) onto another track, reversing the phase and having a little play with it.

Personally, I'd get a set of closed-back headphones and record it again. They will not only greatly reduce headphone bleed onto the mic, they will also reduce ambient noise bleeding into your ears.This allows you more control over your monitoring and the ability to turn the headphones down, reducing mic bleed even more.