aberdeen-music

Glass Wolves

Fraser Mac

Glass Wolves on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Hey Guys, I'd like you to check out the recordings i did for my band "Glass wolves"

i did them in college, im studying HNC sound production and engineering,

Were playing;

Aberdeen Cafe Drummonds on the 22nd of Feb with Ramsey, Saikano and The Aftermath - 2,

Glasgow Twisted Wheel on the 25th with Through Solace (WALES) and Never Back Down (Germany) - TBC

Also talking about a few shows in march with To Catch A Predator from dundee in march,

I wouldnt mind seeing it live. The recordings don't do it justice in the slightest.

Sandy's voice sounds really good. The rest of the recording is just lacking underneath it.

I understand you did it yourself, but I think for a proper demo you should get down to Exile or Captain Toms and record. If you know what you want out of Toms, Paul does a fucking spot on job.

Woops, I missed last night. Hopefully we'll have a gig together soon however?

I wouldnt mind seeing it live. The recordings don't do it justice in the slightest.

Sandy's voice sounds really good. The rest of the recording is just lacking underneath it.

I understand you did it yourself, but I think for a proper demo you should get down to Exile or Captain Toms and record. If you know what you want out of Toms, Paul does a fucking spot on job.

Woops, I missed last night. Hopefully we'll have a gig together soon however?

Its not until the 22nd of feb dude, will be good to get on somthing soon,

could see abpout a snafu show or somthing?

I hope you're about music over a band logo too, Fraser - because your current one makes me feel like someone just shat in my eyes.

The drums have a pretty good natural sound to them, sound like they were recorded in a decent room. Vocals sound fine too. The guitarist needs to tighten up quite a lot though...

Yeah, we just had Tom fire somthing up really quick while we were waiting for the photos to be sent to us,

i think a half desent sound from the guitars considering it was a 1x10 laney combo,

im future were looking to goto seagate in dundee, sunset squad and floods of fire city's stuff from there sounded good,

when we get better amps we'll head out there,

i think a half desent sound from the guitars considering it was a 1x10 laney combo,

I was meaning the playing more than the tone...

Recording a great guitar tone isn't easy even if you have brilliant amps. There's so many variables. Read Slipperman's "guide to recording distorted guitars from hell" if you want to get deeper involved. And you have ten weeks to spare reading about it.

What DAW were you using?

Graeme at Seagate is a top dude and really easy to work with. A band I used to play in did an album there with him over a couple of weekends and I throroughly reccommend. My only gripe was the drum samples on the snare but thats mainly down to hitting the thing too hard. However, for the type of chunny hardcore on the mp3s the Seagate drum sound would probably suit you.

Whilst not intending to be a prick here; you should work on tightening up before you hit seagate to get the best out of your time with Graeme, he is very quick at sticking everything together and you can get maximum results if you are tight and ready to go.

Sounds alright... kinda raw and that, quite like that aspect though. Snare and kick sound good, but didn't like the tinnyness of the cymbals. Fine for a quick demo though.

I think the vocals sound good for that shouty hardcore thing, although they are way way too high in the mix for my liking. And did you pan them left or is my stereo fucked? Listening through headphones i was was getting all vox in my left ear.

there are some good moments that i quite like... i much prefer a hardcore band that either don't do break/beatdowns, or do them well (Desalvo's - Oedipus Rising). That first song was ruined for me by that rotten intro, even though it kind of gets going after.

I was meaning the playing more than the tone...

Recording a great guitar tone isn't easy even if you have brilliant amps. There's so many variables. Read Slipperman's "guide to recording distorted guitars from hell" if you want to get deeper involved. And you have ten weeks to spare reading about it.

What DAW were you using?

Used Pro tool 8HD with an SSL 900w+ desk, used an avalon outboard compreeser for the bass with a Sans Amp plug in,

Sounds alright... kinda raw and that, quite like that aspect though. Snare and kick sound good, but didn't like the tinnyness of the cymbals. Fine for a quick demo though.

I think the vocals sound good for that shouty hardcore thing, although they are way way too high in the mix for my liking. And did you pan them left or is my stereo fucked? Listening through headphones i was was getting all vox in my left ear.

there are some good moments that i quite like... i much prefer a hardcore band that either don't do break/beatdowns, or do them well (Desalvo's - Oedipus Rising). That first song was ruined for me by that rotten intro, even though it kind of gets going after.

yeah, i panned the vocals left, i thought it sounded quite good on my ipod, but im going to book in and do mox more mixing and what not,

the heavy bit at the start of 600psi has been ditched as we felt it didnt really add anything and just sounded too "emmure-ish"

and your right, vocals are incredibly too high in the mix, another thing to sort when i mix it,

cheers so far guys,

the heavy bit at the start of 600psi has been ditched as we felt it didnt really add anything and just sounded too "emmure-ish"

well done! i have no idea who they are, but i'll take a stab at generic hardcore band. I thought one bit sounded like that Alexisonfire single about a city... i forget the name. Where there's like two guitar 'hits' then the drums carry on.

EDIT: it was called 'this could be anywhere'

well done! i have no idea who they are, but i'll take a stab at generic hardcore band. I thought one bit sounded like that Alexisonfire single about a city... i forget the name. Where there's like two guitar 'hits' then the drums carry on.

I think it's called "This Could Be Anywhere in the World", cracking tune. I like Alexisonfire actually, very good live too.

I like where you lot are going Fraser but i have to agree that the name is pish and the logo is mince.

I think this particular style of music sounds quite good when the recordings are particularly "rough" around the edges but you still have to be tight musically and there are a few timing slips in both songs. Still, i like the songs and the overall recording isn't too shabby either.

I wouldn't pan vocals left... definitely, definitely not. Cool to have occasional backing vox being panned either side, but lead vocals should be centred in the mix, (along with bass guitar, kick drum and snare.) - unless of course you double track them and have the second take at the opposite side!

Upon clicking the link to the unorignally- but not terribly- named "Glass Wolves" myspace page, the songs took a while to load up. With a few seconds to spare, I looked to see if there was an alternate website to be found but instead, I was dismayed to be addressed as a cunt.

Soured from this first impression I had a glance at the lyrics to Loose Lips only to find the band had ripped off the lyrical refrain from a Terror song, which again, did not impress. By this point the song had loaded, and I listened to 600psi. James displayed quite a level of technical skill on the drums (not unusual for the genre) and for demos, the recordings weren't that bad, which I had been lead to believe (though the vocals sounded a bit muffled, but I have a feeling that is down to myspace compression). The song was fairly dull and lacked anything to hold interest other than the drums, but they weren't a pitched instrument, so that wore off fairly quickly. However, I did like the dulcet tones of the singers voice.

Then onto the aforementioned "Loose Lips"-possibly a reference to the 1943 war poster as well as a metaphor, which many other hardcore bands seem to have made a passing mention of at some point or another. I found this song again lacking in any interesting ideas untill 1.33 where a tempo change kicked in and altered the mood of the song and the following 52 seconds were postively riveting. But sorry chaps, 52 seconds out of 512 doesn't cut it.

2 C's out of a possible 6.

Upon clicking the link to the unorignally- but not terribly- named "Glass Wolves" myspace page, the songs took a while to load up. With a few seconds to spare, I looked to see if there was an alternate website to be found but instead, I was dismayed to be addressed as a cunt.

Soured from this first impression I had a glance at the lyrics to Loose Lips only to find the band had ripped off the lyrical refrain from a Terror song, which again, did not impress. By this point the song had loaded, and I listened to 600psi. James displayed quite a level of technical skill on the drums (not unusual for the genre) and for demos, the recordings weren't that bad, which I had been lead to believe (though the vocals sounded a bit muffled, but I have a feeling that is down to myspace compression). The song was fairly dull and lacked anything to hold interest other than the drums, but they weren't a pitched instrument, so that wore off fairly quickly. However, I did like the dulcet tones of the singers voice.

Then onto the aforementioned "Loose Lips"-possibly a reference to the 1943 war poster as well as a metaphor, which many other hardcore bands seem to have made a passing mention of at some point or another. I found this song again lacking in any interesting ideas untill 1.33 where a tempo change kicked in and altered the mood of the song and the following 52 seconds were postively riveting. But sorry chaps, 52 seconds out of 512 doesn't cut it.

2 C's out of a possible 6.

Which Terror song?

thanks for you opinion,

EDIT: Ive also taken the "THIS IS IS CUNT" part off the page, i didnt realise it said that,

Which Terror song?

thanks for you opinion,

EDIT: Ive also taken the "THIS IS IS CUNT" part off the page, i didnt realise it said that,

Keep your mouth shut. Might be a different band, thought it was Terror.