aberdeen-music

My Moorings virginity

Kaizen

First time was sometime in mid 1989, but it was through the day and we didn't know we were in The Moorings, thought it was Wagley's. Was not aware of The Moorings as such at that time.

Then on 9th Jan 1990 we went there to meet someone who was unable to show face in The Satellite Bar. It was a Friday or Saturday night. The place was heaving. Back then there was a choice of two doors leading off from the entrance. The one on the right was marked "Public Bar" and the other straight ahead was marked "Cocktail Bar". We opted for the cocktail bar. This led into a short corridor with another door at the far end which took you out roughly where the games machine is now. It was very dark. Ahead of us where tables filled with various heavy metal and biker types. Beyond that was a small dance floor. Behind us and to the right was the public bar which turned out to be in the same room. This was full of sailors and loose looking women. I was instantly hooked.

After that I used to started taking dates there to impress them.

Late 90s for me, probably about 98. Went to see the Richard Head band as one of the guitarists was my, and my friend's, guitar teacher. Full of biker types, we looked well out of place dressed for a night of shit clubs once we left the moorings. I remember a couple of fights breaking out and at least one guy getting glassed. All while we quietly stood to one side trying to watch the band.

It's much better now.

Late 90s for me, probably about 98. Went to see the Richard Head band as one of the guitarists was my, and my friend's, guitar teacher. Full of biker types, we looked well out of place dressed for a night of shit clubs once we left the moorings. I remember a couple of fights breaking out and at least one guy getting glassed. All while we quietly stood to one side trying to watch the band.

It's much better now.

I know who your guitar teacher was, that guy was great!

That might have been the night that Big Daz got barred. It's one of the few fights and the only glassing that I can recall, and I was there pretty much every weekend between 1990-1998. The Richard Head band usually played in The Malt Mill, think that might have been their only Moorings gig.

Is Big Daz still barred? I saw him on George Street yesterday, I haven't spoken to him in years.

I was a late starter, I didn't make my Moorings bow until 2003 I think, when one of my old bands played there, despite living on Virginia Street. I just assumed it was a "rough" harbour bar, I didn't know what it was like inside. The Tilted Wig was my local, or Drakes.

I made up for it during a hazy 18 months living in aberdeen
Text message every single day during that read "Gan' doon the moorings min?". Fucking good times.

First time was 2002. About 2 weeks before my 18th birthday (OOOOOOOH). Was with Ian from E106. They still had the booths. Was pretty much shitting myself. Second time was just after I'd turned 18. Was mainly drinking in The Tilted Wig with Bonesaw Bazz, and Dr Drakes, but after a while we got a taste for The Moorings. Mind meeting Bazz outside The Moorings when rennovations started and we were both a bit lost as to what to do. 2 weeks in the Tilted Wig. Was a glorious return when it re-opened.

Also mind the day when there was a problem with the plumbing. Came down about 2 on a Saturday afternoon. Every single Moorings regular ended up in the tilted wig, including Pete. He got a call to say it was back open and there was a mass entourage that all head down. Yas.

First time I went into the Moorings was 2000, I think, just after my brother had his first tatoo done at Richards. He was tatties as it was also his 18th birthday. At the time there was still a pool-table at the far end of the bar, which he danced on, before proceeding to start on a mate of mine twice his mass and ending up unconscious at the Fudge flat, good times.

Many, many good things have happened to me at the Moorings in the years following, dunno what I'd do without the place. Probably drink in a bar that's shit I expect....

Went to the moorings with a few mates on monday for the first time. We had been 99p bowling at codonas and fancied a drink. Was good fun =) Thought I'd let you all know!

Also, me and a mate made a start on the world beers list. That could end up being extremely expencive...

x

Did you know if you run this post through a cockney rhyming slang translator (which I just did, as I wanted some text to put in it and I had this thread open in another window), you get:

Went ter the bloody moorings wif a few china plates on monday for the chuffin' Damien Hirst nickle and dime. we 'ad been 99p bowlin' at codonas and fancied a Tiddley Wink. was Robin Hood fan =) thought i'd let ya aw kna! also, me and a China Plate made a start on the world Britney Spears list. that could end up bein' extremely expensive... x

whoohoo.co.uk - The British Dialect Translator

does EVERYBODY think the moorings is 'rough' before they go? i certainly did.

... although i don't really know why...

My mum warned me about it. My dad and her used to go occasionally back in the day but it wasn't until my dad's birthday a few years ago, which coincided with Binky's last Deadloss gig that I got them back down there and they fucking loved it. My mum was binned...chatting to Bri and Craigy I believe and my Dad and boyfriend sat (who were meeting for the first time) sampled the various malts behind the bar and got on like a house on fire.

Best night in the Moorings ever.

My mum worked there part time in 1979. Took her down about 3 years ago. Couldn't believe how much it'd changed.

Taking my Dad down was scary. Cue "You him and Stab's Dad? Nice work you did there!" constantly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've got great respect for any parents that call their children Stab and Tebags.