aberdeen-music

Mott the Hoople Reform

jester1470

I doubt this will appeal to many out there but its worth a post, one of the most influential and underrated bands of the 70's:

to quote the press release:

"The return of one of the best loved Rock & Roll bands of all time, it has been 40 years since the highly influential Mott The Hoople formed in 1969. Mott The Hoople return to The Hammersmith Apollo scene of near riots following their shows in 73 and recorded for the legendary Mott The Hoople Live album. This will be the first time the original line-up has played together for over 35 years.

It is fitting that the 2009 shows are at Hammersmith Apollo this is where one side of the famous Mott The Hoople Live album was recorded in 1973 and was the venue they had to play twice in one day to satisfy ticket demand, the second show ending in near riot when the curtain came down on their final encore.

Who knows what will happen this time but these are sure to be historic gigs. Thanks to name-checks from Rock & Roll stars over the last 40 years and regular plays on radio, TV and film (All The Young Dudes is the lead song on the Juno soundtrack and features in many more), Mott The Hooples audience is getting younger. Whatever age, expect an audience which has an unshakeable belief in Rock & Roll.

In an era of band reformations, it will be still be shocking to their legions of fans that Mott The Hoople have decided to reform, with their original line-up, to celebrate their 40th Anniversary. Shocking but thrilling to fans who include Primal Scream, Morrissey, The Clash, REM, Queen, Blur and more ..."

Tixckets onsale tomorrow - that's another gig to look foward to :)

Isn't that the band that threw Jimi Hendrix off of their tour because he was showing them up?

Fuck them.

Wasn't that The Monkees? ;)

All the Young Dudes and All the Way From Memphis are top tunes (unfortunate use of "spade" aside), but you surely have to credit Bowie with a lot for this. He really went through an amazing purple patch in the early 70s where everything he touched turned to gold (see also his solo stuff, Transformer etc).

Isn't that the band that threw Jimi Hendrix off of their tour because he was showing them up?

Fuck them.

Mott the Hoople never toured with Hendrix so that would be a no,

snopes.com: Jimi Hendrix Kicked Off Monkees Tour

In 1974 though mott did have an up and coming band called Queen as their support who did certainly give them a run for their money and some nights definitely blew them offstage, they also remained good friends and various members of Queen have guested with ian hunter several times.

Wasn't that The Monkees? ;)

All the Young Dudes and All the Way From Memphis are top tunes (unfortunate use of "spade" aside), but you surely have to credit Bowie with a lot for this. He really went through an amazing purple patch in the early 70s where everything he touched turned to gold (see also his solo stuff, Transformer etc).

Bowie only wrote one song for them, though did produce the Dudes album because he was a big fan. i think the story was Mott had been reasonably succcessfull for a few years but never really made it big and they decided to break up, when David Bowie heard this he convinced them to get back together and gave them a song, they turned down Suffragette City before taking Dudes. The thing about Dudes is that to me the best part in it, the guitar intro wasnt a Bowie invention but was a Mick Ralphs (Mott and Bad Company Guitarist) creation.

I agree without Daviid Bowie we wouldnt have had some classic latter day Mott songs - not for guiding them in any way but for getting them back together, but its well worth checking out their earlier stuff as well which is excellent. Mott's first album was 1969, Dudes was 1972, and they split in 1974, it always amazes me that in those 5 years they released 7 great albums :)

Anyway got my tickets for Hammersmith today,

A9-10 on the Friday and B11-12 on the Saturday, should be a great night wonder if Mr bowie will turn up, I know that him and Ian Hunter arent such good friends now because of the way Bowie was about Mick Ronson when he died.

Even if they did I don't think it did Jimi's career any harm.

Or is this a personal thing? Were you good mates with him?

Dying probably did more harm than anything that happened when not dead. Saying that Dying may also have proved a shrewed and clever career move with regards to an immortal place in rock history

Tell me about it, thats another 2 front row seats and 150 lighter, and Eddie Izzard tickets go on sale today, it's going to be an expensive month...

I believe the Saturday has sold out and the Friday has less than 100 tickets left...