aberdeen-music

home recording

Guest Stripey

Guest Stripey

How many of you record at home, and what gear do use for it? Do you make your own CD's? Or do you record at places like Exile and get them to produce the finished CD for you?

i record acoustic demo's on my bro's computer and put them on a CD-RW an let the band hear them first before proceeding. I use Cubase 5.1 and WavLab and i use zoom's ps-02 palmtop studio as a pre-amp through my line-in 2record the gtr an vocals seperately in Cubase.

peace,

Danny.

p.s. we recorded some full band tracks in Cpt. Toms for a reasonable price, jus havent got round 2 mixin an masterin the last two tracks for a demo CD which everyone has been moanin at me 2 get finished for about a year! LOL!

Guest Neubeatz

Various methods, different situations.

Sometimes I record at home, straight on to pc, Wavelab 5, Sound Forge 6, sometimes record in the exchange basement, (mac with garageband)

Last "studio" recording was at Cap Toms, with The Famous Prostitute, the cd tracks from there got a little tickle with adobe audition, before getting mp3d for the net,

I have a cdrw here but I have never used it for a "production run", If listeners want DT tracks, they generally d/load them,

Some one has asked me to record a couple of ambient tracks for their own personal use, so they will get one off cds recorded and burned at the hoose.

I generally use cracked softwarez and computers rescued from skips,

You can hear The Famous Prostitute here.

Currently just for recording ideas it's guitar in a Korg Pandora PX4 personal effects processor for amp/cab/effects. This then goes straight into PC through the line in on my sound card. Final destination is Cakewalk Guitar Tracks or Adobe Audition.

I currently record straight to a 4-track Yamaha MT-50 cassette portastudio (kindly given to me by Mike Napier of the Downroads). Then I mix onto minidisc, before transferring the best mix to CD-R as a master. When I've enough songs I put out a CD-R for sale. Then I deal with the complaints from a disappointed public! (all 2 of them).

I think you can get bogged down with technology, mastering etc!

Guest Stripey

Thanks for your replies its interesting to hear how you guys go about doing things. Do you do any post-processing to the tracks like compression/limiting/eq (of the whole mix or the individual tracks...)

i do it the same way as alan cynic except i use a fostex XR 5 four track and i put an alessis midiverb box through the four track for some additional effects.

been mastering down some old four track stuff which was recorded on an amstrad machine! i was quite productive in the early 90!

Thanks for your replies its interesting to hear how you guys go about doing things. Do you do any post-processing to the tracks like compression/limiting/eq (of the whole mix or the individual tracks...)

Personally I don't....I want it to sound the way it was when I recorded it, but a couple of times some record companies have tinkered with my masters to reduce hiss, get wider range etc It hasn't unduly irritated me.

Kitchen Cynics..........................................what's EQ?.......................................

I use a Tascam 4 track (which we used to record the whole Spike Pile Driver album). Then get it burned on to CD by Captain Toms, Tom also uses a compression button which does something cool to the sound :up:

I also have a digital 12 track which Im still working out how to use! (for my solo stuff)

I think for Element 106 we will simply use Captain Toms

I use Cubase SX 2.01 (which for evaluation purposes you can normally find on something like kazaa if you look hard enough) - For guitar I plug into a Line 6 POD II. PC is an AMD 1900XP so roughly 2Ghz performance wise. 512MB ram, 100GB hard disk with an external disk (firewire but USB2 would be fine too) for making backups.

I've got some example stuff at http://www.eutioa.co.uk which was originally done in Cubase 5. To be honest I've only recently gotten good at using this stuff and there's a lot to learn if you want it to sound professional - those examples tracks are somewhere in between competent and good but you can get excellent results if you try - I would say the emphasis is still on the musician(s) to record good stuff in the first place (garbage in, garbage out as they say - or alternatively you can't polish a turd!) - so you still need to do several takes if you want a perfect performance even if you only have to play the riff once and then loop it.

Guest AX FAE TX

Terminal.X. use a FOSTEX VF 08 which stays at DX'S HOUSE

I HAVE A FOSTEX VF80 - we put down some tunes then swap machines adding to each others tracks .

we have now also got a copy of CUBASIS -but as we don't read instructions progress is slow -but as you find things out the music grows.

then burn it straight from digital onto the phillips cd recorder/copiers -for master cd.

then use a computer to copy the rest.

I use Cool Edit Pro v2 (now Adobe Audition) to record via mic/line in, then master with T-Racks 24. Utterly amazing application T-Racks - I recommend everyone (including Mr Cynic) gets it. :D

Oh yeah, and I'm regressing to 4 track recording too, as my PC isn't all that portable. Plan is to transfer individual tracks into Cool Edit and remix as necessary.

Guest Stripey
I use Cool Edit Pro v2 (now Adobe Audition) to record via mic/line in' date=' then master with T-Racks 24. Utterly amazing application T-Racks - I recommend everyone (including Mr Cynic) gets it. :D[/quote']

I haven't tried t-racks myself, read about it though, it sounds pretty good. I used to use Akai Quadcomp VST (4 band compressor/limiter) on the master bus but I've been getting better results with Yamaha "Final Master" VST now, its top notch and very configurable.

I don't actually do any recording, all my sounds come from digital sources (mp3's/vst synths/divx's (audtions "extract audio from video" function is damn useful;))

Wouldn't mind getting to grips with the video side of Audition (doesn't Cool Edit 2 have a rudimentary version of this? Will have to take a look sometime. But at the moment my Pentium 2 is just not fast enough to get into video, plus the 4Gb hard drive fills up rather quickly! :D

Guest Stripey
Wouldn't mind getting to grips with the video side of Audition (doesn't Cool Edit 2 have a rudimentary version of this? Will have to take a look sometime. But at the moment my Pentium 2 is just not fast enough to get into video' date=' plus the 4Gb hard drive fills up rather quickly! :D[/quote']

cool edit 2 (which i actually use, haven't upgraded to the adobe version yet) just has "extract audio from video" as an option in the file menu...its great but sometimes chokes on big files like 700 meg dvd-rips and doesnt extract the whole thing.

that's a pretty big question! Get audio from samples, instruments (usually bass, double bass, guitar, keyboards (woooooo!!! The flat has a moog!) and vocals using my delta 66 omni and some mics, midi instuments (battery and lots of synths, though I only usually use a few I have), controlled via my ex7 (sadly mostly just used as a master keyboard). All this gets bunged into cubase. I usually use production as a fairly creative part of recording, then mix it roughly. If I decide to record something properly, I'd get a friend to mix it (gav?) and give it to a mastering company.

Guest Stripey
that's a pretty big question! Get audio from samples' date=' instruments (usually bass, double bass, guitar, keyboards (woooooo!!! The flat has a moog!) and vocals using my delta 66 omni and some mics, midi instuments (battery and lots of synths, though I only usually use a few I have), controlled via my ex7 (sadly mostly just used as a master keyboard). All this gets bunged into cubase. I usually use production as a fairly creative part of recording, then mix it roughly. If I decide to record something properly, I'd get a friend to mix it (gav?) and give it to a mastering company.[/quote']

Yea I definately look at production as being a very big part of the creative process, I usually eq/compress/filter parts as I'm writing them, then once its all down just need some minor tweaks to get everything sitting right. Since at the moment all my stuff is going onto mp3 or CD-R I just use a mastering compressor on it myself, but if I was going to vinyl I'd leave that out and pay the place to master it for me...

How much do you usually pay to get something mastered, and what format does it end up on?

this thread has prompted me to dig out 'parallel dog days' which remains an astonishing record' date=' as lo fi as it gets![/quote']

Thanks for remembering it, delboy. It's just been re-issued on the US label Secret Eye, who have done stuff with Thurston Moore, Bonnie Prince Billy etc

Kitchen Cynics.............................making the sounds you don't want to hear..........

cool' date=' i remember seeing a load of other kitchen cynics albums in retro blue (RIP) but never had the money to purchase any. how many you made exactly?[/quote']

I've done quite a lot on cassette/CD-R on my own, but officially it's 3 vinyl albums (2 of which got reissued on Get Happy, who put out some GBV stuff), plus 3 CDs (although one is on a strange Belgian CD-R label called Audiobot). I've also had a few 7"s out over the years, and tons of songs on compilations (alongside Country Joe, Bardo Pond, Thurston Moore, Tom Rapp, Half Japanese, Ghost, Television Personalities etc)

The Cavern used to have some vinyl, but I don't know if there are any left.

Kitchen Cynics.................................doggedly plodding on......................................

Guest Sundaram
I've done quite a lot on cassette/CD-R on my own' date=' but officially it's 3 vinyl albums (2 of which got reissued on Get Happy, who put out some GBV stuff), plus 3 CDs (although one is on a strange Belgian CD-R label called Audiobot). I've also had a few 7"s out over the years, and tons of songs on compilations (alongside Country Joe, Bardo Pond, Thurston Moore, Tom Rapp, Half Japanese, Ghost, Television Personalities etc)

The Cavern used to have some vinyl, but I don't know if there are any left.

Kitchen Cynics.................................doggedly plodding on......................................[/quote']

What compilation is 'Now's the Time' going to be on?