aberdeen-music

Whats the chances of making it as a band from Aberdeen

sross90

With real talent, hard work, dedication and persistence I'd like to think that an Aberdeen act could be quite successful. But then it depends what you mean by 'making it'- I'd say there's current acts hailing from Aberdeen who are achieving great things and creating a name for themselves.

How much chance do you think an aberdeen band has of actually getting somewhere?

Its such a hostile place, especially up here in Aberdeen!

Well, starting threads like this on a popular messageboard certainly won't help the state of things.

What's such a hostile place? (you say "especially up here in Aberdeen" you see). Dude, New York is a hostile place and Talking Heads did ok for themselves.

Also, it doesn't really matter where you come from, as you should really be playing in as many other places as possible. Relying on building up a name locally, or relying solely on the internet, works for very few bands, even fewer of which are any good / last beyond the initial hype.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Well, starting threads like this on a popular messageboard certainly won't help the state of things.

What's such a hostile place? (you say "especially up here in Aberdeen" you see). Dude, New York is a hostile place and Talking Heads did ok for themselves.

Also, it doesn't really matter where you come from, as you should really be playing in as many other places as possible. Relying on building up a name locally, or relying solely on the internet, works for very few bands, even fewer of which are any good / last beyond the initial hype.

Totally agree with this.

People have this thing that it's really difficult to "make it" coming from Aberdeen because there's not much in the way of record industry interest up here. That is true in the sense of that if you only ever play in Aberdeen, you're very unlikely to get anywhere, because the scouts or whoever that might "notice" you is pretty unlikely to be at Tunnels on a Wednesday night for example.

But, if you're dedicated to getting out there and touring, releasing EPs/Albums etc, I'd say that being from Aberdeen makes very little difference.

Copy Haho are doing exactly that, and I'm sure will go places. Likewise for X-Certs, who admittedly don't stay here anymore, but they are from Aberdeen.

My Mind's Weapon have got themselves signed, and Vesuvian got signed by an independent label from Manchester whilst on a DIY tour.

You could sell out shows all the time in Aberdeen, but if you're not going to gig around the country, you'd be very very lucky to gain any interest outside the metaphorical 4 walls of Aberdeen.

Well anything thing in the music industry is hostile, its cut throat!

One million people waiting for one person to say yes, the odds are low. But then the Aberdeen Reserve makes it a bit harder.

If your in Glasgow or Edinburgh and a band is good, people seem to make more effort to praise em and say well done. Pat on the back and all that.

Up here even when something is great whether its a band, a painting, an idea or anything really, people are lessed enthused to say well done and are more inclined to ignore it!

It brings it to the surface tho! In the responses already we have identified issues making Aberdeen a harder place to be noticed from.

No scouts etc, no record industry. Yes you can travel and go round the country but why cant we generate enough noise up here to attract what it is currently lacking?

Apart from population why shouldnt aberdeen be a good place for them? Whats lurking beneath that keeps them away?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
How much chance do you think an aberdeen band has of actually getting somewhere?

Two chances, slim and none.

If all you're striving for is to "make it big", become a celebrity and all that wannabe-star nonsense then you deserve absolutely zero recognition whatsoever.

Well anything thing in the music industry is hostile, its cut throat!

One million people waiting for one person to say yes, the odds are low. But then the Aberdeen Reserve makes it a bit harder.

If your in Glasgow or Edinburgh and a band is good, people seem to make more effort to praise em and say well done. Pat on the back and all that.

Up here even when something is great whether its a band, a painting, an idea or anything really, people are lessed enthused to say well done and are more inclined to ignore it!

Not everything in the music industry is hostile, it's a stupid stereotype. Everyone I've met has been genuinely nice and accomodating, even when it's some shitty band that have sent in a demo.

One million people waiting for one person to say yes? Odds are low? You're talking complete nonsense, no wonder you're starting threads like this. You shouldn't be waiting for anyone, do things off your own back and people will start to take note, whether it's a wee kid in the middle of nowhere who buys your 7", or the guy that runs your favourite record label. There aren't any "odds" as it's not a lottery, it's about pulling the few good bands out of the mountains of rubbish. Your dividing of cities and referring to the "Aberdeen reserve" is going to do you or anyone reading this thread absolutely no favours, it reeks of jealousy and a narrow mind. If we take Glasgow, for example, the 'big' bands of the last decade have all DONE THINGS OFF THEIR OWN BACK AND GOT OUT THERE WITHOUT WAITING FOR A GUY TO PULL UP IN A LIMO AND THROW MONEY AT THEM - Mogwai (putting out their own releases, etc), The Delgados (starting the influential Chemikal Underground, promoting Interpol, Arab Strap et al), Snow Patrol ("toiling" away for years...), etc...

Again, it's a stereotype that the music scene / bands in Glasgow and thereabouts are a lot more friendly towards each other - you just need to look at Jock Rock to see a level of bitchiness you may think you associate solely with Aberdeen.

It brings it to the surface tho! In the responses already we have identified issues making Aberdeen a harder place to be noticed from.

No scouts etc, no record industry. Yes you can travel and go round the country but why cant we generate enough noise up here to attract what it is currently lacking?

Apart from population why shouldnt aberdeen be a good place for them? Whats lurking beneath that keeps them away?

Brings what to the surface? OBVIOUSLY it's slightly harder in that Aberdeen is far North. I'm sure it's hard for someone in Bangor to break into the oil industry, given it's distance from Aberdeen... The UK record industry is based in London, get used to it. It makes perfect sense given the size of the place...

"Them" ? I'm unsure what you mean here, but I'm guessing you're referring to people involved in the music industry. Well, I know for a fact that quite a lot of people from "the music industry" are aware of bands from/in Aberdeen, and have come up here, it's hardly announced via a myspace bulletin, given that it's just some dude coming to watch a band.

You seem to be implying that Aberdeen would/should make a good place for part of the "music industry" to reside? Again, prettttty stupid given it's geographical location.

Less moaning, more doing things. That's what creates any image of a "scene" that may or may not attract the "right" people, as false as that "scene" may in fact be.

If all you're striving for is to "make it big", become a celebrity and all that wannabe-star nonsense then you deserve absolutely zero recognition whatsoever.

Though I agree with you on that is what the guy seems to be implying, "getting somewhere" is of course completely relative - putting out a few tapes and doing a few tours may be a band's own definition of success, for others nothing short of selling out arenas will do. Like I've said, it doesn't matter where you are from in order to achieve the vast majority of "goals" you could set yourself relating to music (I say "vast majority" - someone wanting to be a "famous singer" would obviously have slight benefits coming from a well known stage school, for example).

Id settle for some feedback! Even if thats to be told that im pish. Direction, Ctrisism, Suggestion, Advice, pointers from people and other bands so that we can start responding to and pleasing the people that

Im slightly confused by your response tho.

Im in it for the fun but I wouldnt complain if i were in a band that made it to a top level?

Surely you would want to be at the top of your game wouldnt you?

Why would you not want to make it?

Id settle for some feedback! Even if thats to be told that im pish. Direction, Ctrisism, Suggestion, Advice, pointers from people and other bands so that we can start responding to and pleasing the people that

Im slightly confused by your response tho.

Im in it for the fun but I wouldnt complain if i were in a band that made it to a top level?

Feedback is everywhere, it doesn't have to be written/spoken. People vote with their feet. If your audiences aren't increasing in size/enthusiasm over time then you might be doing something wrong, or at least could be doing something better. Whether it's the musicianship, stage presence, songs, promotion, attitude in general, pissed the wrong people off (generally you should avoid pissing anyone off, it makes life easier), you'll have to figure out for yourself on the whole. People have opinions, but trying to squeeze it out of them is another matter entirely. Constructive criticism is even rarer - what's the use in being told "you're pish" without being given any pointers or clue as to WHY this might be the case?

Making it is fine - it being the main reason for making music in the first place is wrong. Make music for music's sake. If you're good enough and you work hard enough then the success will come.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Though I agree with you on that is what the guy seems to be implying, "getting somewhere" is of course completely relative - putting out a few tapes and doing a few tours may be a band's own definition of success, for others nothing short of selling out arenas will do. Like I've said, it doesn't matter where you are from in order to achieve the vast majority of "goals" you could set yourself relating to music (I say "vast majority" - someone wanting to be a "famous singer" would obviously have slight benefits coming from a well known stage school, for example).

Indeed. Going from his post I took his definition to mean chasing the celebrity dream, something I find inherently distasteful to put it mildly. In terms of personal ambitions I've pretty much achieved most of mine i.e. putting out a small run of CDr's, doing split releases with killer bands and playing gigs with some more killer bands. The only thing I haven't done that I'd like to is go on tour, and this year should take care of that.

You're right, everyone has different goals but nobody should sell their soul to achieve them.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Not bothered my arse about being at "the top of my game". The "scene" I'm in and around doesn't work around competition, it's about mutual support, encouragement and co-operation with like-minded folks. There should be a damn sight more of it too.

Why would I not want to make it? Because I have a life outside of this! Music, whether making or listening to it, should be about enhancing your enjoyment of life, not taking the place of it. I feel sorry for these "my music is my life" people. Such a pity if that's all you have in your life. It's a hobby for me, one of many. Fame? Fuck that, I'm happy to go about my life as it is, I'm not a recognition junkie and I'm not exactly a people person.

Besides, writing songs called "She walked into a door" isn't going to win many popularity contests...

If your band;

a) is good* at what they do, and b) works hard (practising, gigging**) then you WILL have some sort of success, or at the very least achieve some of your goals.

Success is a relative term, as others have already outlined.

*Good doesnt mean you and a few of your friends think you are good. It means good enough to perform on an even level with the better bands in your genre in Aberdeen/Scotland/UK/the World (depending on the parameters you use to define success).

**Practising/gigging doesnt mean jamming once a week in captain Toms and playing a gig once a month in the moorings.

Besides, writing songs called "She walked into a door" isn't going to win many popularity contests...

Unless you move to Alabama/Texas/New Orleans.

I think you need to take heed of the words of two of the guys who are "going places" with their respective bands.

In my opinion, you should accept advice given from Dan because My Mind's Weapon are clearly going about their business the right way, in that they've been recognised by a European label, and given a 2 (?) album deal.

RF Scott should also be listened to, because from what I can see Copy Haho are doing all the right things. It's clear from many who post on this forum, and gig goers that Copy Haho are creating good music, and they're doing all the right things to promote said music. I'd be very surprised if their hard work doesn't pay off.

Also, like he says - "success" is very subjective. If your ultimate dream is to have a bit of fun with your band, then it shouldn't really bother you too much about record industry interest - but there's very little chance of getting that interest if you're going to play gigs in Aberdeen and not put yourself out there. If your ultimate dream is to be in a massively famous band, you certainly won't achieve that within the parameters of Aberdeen city in my opinion.

I used to think along the same lines as you, in that if a band was good they would get noticed and make it, and that it was unfair how so many good bands in Aberdeen were being overlooked, when it was easy to make it in Glasgow. But, it seems fairly obvious to me now, that what you need to do is play gigs everywhere. You can't just sit back and expect these music industry type dudes to come to you, you need to get off your arse and bring your music to them. And that isn't just posting a myspace link or whatever - that will happen hundreds of times a day. And, if you do send them a myspace link and they happen to click on it, and they see your "tour dates" as Tuesday night at the Tunnels, ABERDEEN, Saturday at Drummonds, ABERDEEN, a couple of weeks later, Cellar 35 ABERDEEN, they'll probably just click off it and not be arsed.

But if they were to click on Copy Haho's (to use the example again) page and see a UK wide tour, they'd be more interested, and might go and check out the show that is in their city.

Its such a hostile place, especially up here in Aberdeen!

Just as good a chance as being from anywhere in the UK. It takes hard work and a lot of dedication to do it. Prepare to be skint for a good few years if you are planning on attempting it as well.

The Shamen were a pretty tasty live band, they did all right for themselves .

Oh, I can move move move any mountain :up:

You're getting some rep for reminding me of the Shamen. Brilliant!

It really depends on what you consider 'making it' to be. You can head down to Glasgow and get on 'Britain's Got Talent' or 'T-Mobile Unsigned Act' (officially the worst TV show name in history) and enjoy ten minutes of screen time.

Or you can use the Internet - MySpace is now almost 100% about new bands but if you haven't set one up already then...really...give up now! Youtube is chock-full of amateur footage...if you're funny then put together something mildly amusing which also features your music and has potential to be forwarded on as a viral e-mail.

Mind you, there's that awful myth that the Arctic Monkeys were created via the Internet and specifically MySpace. That's bollocks - a mate of theirs simply knew how to create basic web pages and uploaded their demos to it. From there they got a play on Zane Lowe in late 2004 and it grew and grew.

As for record company A & R men not coming up here, that's largely nonsense too. True they won't just pop up here "for a look" but how many of them actually do that anyway? Usually when they go to a venue in London or Glasgow it's to specifically see someone they've done some background research on. There's no way anyone would say "nah, Aberdeen's too far away" if they'd been really impressed by a demo of yours, they'd come up and have a chat. If you're not good enough for someone to travel to see you then you aren't good enough to sell records to the masses.

So...that's the way I see bands from Aberdeen communicating with the action down south. Once you're signed up, then you can do a Geneva or a Shamen and relocate to success or oblivion.

Shite - I just realised I posted the She's so Lovely lyrics on the completely wrong thread. That has nothing to do with "making it" as a band in Aberdeen.

If a mod is feeling like it - please move to the Killers/Coldplay/Scouting for Girls hate thread........ :)

It really depends on what you consider 'making it' to be. You can head down to Glasgow and get on 'Britain's Got Talent' or 'T-Mobile Unsigned Act' (officially the worst TV show name in history) and enjoy ten minutes of screen time.

Or you can use the Internet - MySpace is now almost 100% about new bands but if you haven't set one up already then...really...give up now! Youtube is chock-full of amateur footage...if you're funny then put together something mildly amusing which also features your music and has potential to be forwarded on as a viral e-mail.

Mind you, there's that awful myth that the Arctic Monkeys were created via the Internet and specifically MySpace. That's bollocks - a mate of theirs simply knew how to create basic web pages and uploaded their demos to it. From there they got a play on Zane Lowe in late 2004 and it grew and grew.

As for record company A & R men not coming up here, that's largely nonsense too. True they won't just pop up here "for a look" but how many of them actually do that anyway? Usually when they go to a venue in London or Glasgow it's to specifically see someone they've done some background research on. There's no way anyone would say "nah, Aberdeen's too far away" if they'd been really impressed by a demo of yours, they'd come up and have a chat. If you're not good enough for someone to travel to see you then you aren't good enough to sell records to the masses.

So...that's the way I see bands from Aberdeen communicating with the action down south. Once you're signed up, then you can do a Geneva or a Shamen and relocate to success or oblivion.

I pretty much agree with this as well. My point on A&R type guys being less likely to come to Aberdeen - what I mean to say is, that if you have a tour around the country and book yourself some shows everywhere, there is far more chance of someone who's received your demo/myspace/whatever to come and see you. It stands to reason that if they see that all you have is Aberdeen dates, they'll be less interested in flying up to see one Aberdeen band than if you've got a gig booked in their city. It also gives you more chance of exposing your music to more A&R guys around the country.