aberdeen-music

Les Paul - Middle Pick Up Position

Huw

Mine sounds like total crap. A lot of the output level dissappears and the tone is unuseable for any genre of music. Don't really get it.

Is this the case with all LP types or is it just the (pretty rank) pickup combo i have (the stock ARIA pickup in the neck and a seymour dimebucker in the bridge).

Anybody got replacement pickups fitted in their LPs that could maybe advise me on a set?

One of your pick ups is out of phase with the other one.

It can be rewired, (IE:two wires swapped round).

ahh i see. that's what happens on a strat between pickups isn't it? regardless, it sounds shocking on my LP and i want rid of it.

that will involve soldering won't it? any idea which two wires?

ahh i see. that's what happens on a strat between pickups isn't it? regardless, it sounds shocking on my LP and i want rid of it.

Could help you to get a Peter Green style tone though.

Anyhoo, when working correctly I would say the middle setting is best suited to fingerpicking, arpeggios or general rhythm, it's a more "jangly" kind of sound. Rockabilly too.

Could help you to get a Peter Green style tone though.

Anyhoo, when working correctly I would say the middle setting is best suited to fingerpicking, arpeggios or general rhythm, it's a more "jangly" kind of sound. Rockabilly too.

not a huge fleetwood mac fan (that's peter green ain't it?) to be honest.

i reckon if the sound was any good it'd be usable for that sort of stuff though, but it's just not. the HUGE signal drop doesn't help.

Guest treader.

ALL OF THEM. No, I don't know, a few here and there. I'm left handed so they aren't as readily available. But I've played Epiphones and Gibsons rather than cheap copies. I dont remember exact models because I'm not a gear head really.

SGs are much better than Les Pauls in my opinion. I've never played a Les Paul i've liked either.

Again, horses for courses. You can't really compare the two because the Les Paul has very different body construction and subsequently very different tone. They both do what they do well, just differently.

Again, horses for courses. You can't really compare the two because the Les Paul has very different body construction and subsequently very different tone. They both do what they do well, just differently.

I can and will compare the two. They are both guitars. I play guitar. I've played both. I prefer SGs. There, compared! How bizarre o_O

I agree that Les Pauls sound fine and look fine they just don't play well for me. I find them clumsy and as i have particularly long arms, very uncomfortable to play. The SGs body shape and lack of bulk make it more of an attractive prospect than a Les Paul. I find that my Ibanez AR series offers more than the Les Pauls out there as a similar type of guitar as well.

it does some things well... seriously warm clean tone on the neck. Get some really good chunk out of the bridge. wee bit dark, but that's the point. i wouldn't use it for gigging. Its a battered 20+ year old Aria, however it feels amazing. Doesn't feel like a 200 quid guitar, to me at least.

Basically when i want to play other peoples songs on my own i use it because it doesn't nose dive like an sg (i can't physically play an sg i don't get the whole holding it up AND playing thing - what is that about?) and have you ever tried to play anywhere near fast on a tele? no, because its impossible. So it's pretty useful.

Veldt - I don't think i'm cut out for that rewireing shizzle just yet... need to practice my soldering first.

I can and will compare the two. They are both guitars. I play guitar. I've played both. I prefer SGs. There, compared! How bizarre o_O

I agree that Les Pauls sound fine and look fine they just don't play well for me. I find them clumsy and as i have particularly long arms, very uncomfortable to play. The SGs body shape and lack of bulk make it more of an attractive prospect than a Les Paul. I find that my Ibanez AR series offers more than the Les Pauls out there as a similar type of guitar as well.

Well, you might as well say you prefer Teles, or Ibanez's or a Martin acoustic, they are also guitars. But no point saying SGs are "better", they're just different, and obviously if you're poofy and can't handle a 9lb guitar then SGs will be more up your street. ;)

Well, you might as well say you prefer Teles, or Ibanez's or a Martin acoustic, they are also guitars. But no point saying SGs are "better", they're just different, and obviously if you're poofy and can't handle a 9lb guitar then SGs will be more up your street. ;)

Haha, point well glossed over. SGs are better for me because of my arm length, not the weight. I find them easier to play cause i don't feel like George Formby playing one. Surely i can be the judge of the? I also like the sound of my SG more than the Les Paul i owned and the others i have played.

What's wrong with saying you prefer a particular guitar? There's no way you can justify that school of thought.

Guest treader.

Actually, tell a lie. What's the little flat Les Paul in a like Yellow-y wooden finish? Is it a Jnr or a Special or something?! I've played one of them and it was pretty slick.

What's wrong with saying you prefer a particular guitar?

Nothing, but you said they were better. But an SG won't be "better" if you want to sustain a note for a particular length of time, because it won't do it (for as long as an LP anyway) because it doesn't have the body mass.

Actually, tell a lie. What's the little flat Les Paul in a like Yellow-y wooden finish? Is it a Jnr or a Special or something?! I've played one of them and it was pretty slick.

Could be a Junior or a Special, depending on how many pickups it has. Cool guitars, but very different to a "traditional" LP, ie one with a mahogany body, maple cap and humbuckers. More like an SG in fact. ;)

Nothing, but you said they were better. But an SG won't be "better" if you want to sustain a note for a particular length of time, because it won't do it (for as long as an LP anyway) because it doesn't have the body mass.

They're "better" for me. Last time i checked i'm the only person that plays my guitars ;)