aberdeen-music

limiters stipulated by new entertainments licence - the death of live music?

stuartmaxwell

I'm not going to sign it until I see some background. What exactly is the legislation proposing this? Is it in the UK parliament or the Scottish? Licensing laws are devolved so the former wouldn't affect us here (though that shouldn't stop people signing it).

Is this just another panic inducing petition about legislation that doesn't actually exist and never will?

I'm not going to sign it until I see some background. What exactly is the legislation proposing this? Is it in the UK parliament or the Scottish? Licensing laws are devolved so the former wouldn't affect us here (though that shouldn't stop people signing it).

Is this just another panic inducing petition about legislation that doesn't actually exist and never will?

Whether it's in England/Wales or the UK as a whole, it'd certainly affect a lot of people on here - playing shows in places other than Scotland, going to festivals, etc - you might even get English bands who are playing up here using the same volume settings just because their soundman is 'used to it.'

From Mixmag.com

Noise restraint petition' email is out of date and should be ignored

We've had lots of clubbers sending us an email asking us to sign a petition about new noise restrictions it claims the government are planning on imposing on music venues.

There are no such plans. This petition was originally set up a year ago and the new legislation never came to light. It followed a story Mixmag ran in Nov 2007 which clearly stated the legislation could not force clubs to lower their sound levels - just make adequate measures to protect staff's hearing, ie giving out earplugs.

The guy who originally set up the petition has confirmed this with a statement on his website this week. Warren James - Professional Musician - Welcome

If everyone would stop being so bloody "amps at 11" and distorting all over the shop then it wouldn't be deemed necessary.

Oversaturated, overworked PA systems kill live music, for me at least anyway.

Yeah... i agree with this. At Drummonds i always hear this kind of whistling over the top of everything that's never present at the Tunnels. Sometimes get it at moshulu aswell, before they got in the new PA.

I really really dislike bands that play loud for the sake of it... there's nothing fun about tinnitus.

Yeah... i agree with this. At Drummonds i always hear this kind of whistling over the top of everything that's never present at the Tunnels. Sometimes get it at moshulu aswell, before they got in the new PA.

I really really dislike bands that play loud for the sake of it... there's nothing fun about tinnitus.

its at the tunnels...funnily enough, when the unprofessional bands are playing...i wonder why that is?

• 5 weeks later...

Some good news...?

We are pleased to tell you that there is no truth in claims that the Government is planning to introduce a requirement for entertainment venues to fit noise control devices.

Each Local Authority Licensing Authority considers every live music application on its merits, and decisions are made entirely by them. However, the Licensing Act 2003 does not allow mandatory conditions for live music to be imposed across the board. It would not be possible to impose such a condition without a change in the law and such a change is not, and never has been, on the Governments agenda.

There is also no legal requirement under health and safety legislation for entertainment venues to have noise control devices fitted, nor is there any proposal.

The Government is acutely aware of the contribution that music makes to our culture and we remain committed to a vibrant and flourishing creative sector, of which live music plays an essential part.