aberdeen-music

Pickup Change in Epi Studio Dot

Rusty Deathnail

Hey gang,

I want to change the pick ups in my Epiphone Studio Dot as they are just too muddy for me (Alnico Humbucks). Any recommends? I'm quite the noob when it comes to pick ups so advice is welcome. I want something brighter and cleaner in the mids.

I've read that some pick ups can be a bit hot for hollow bodies.

So far the best names/possiblities which have come up are :p 90's, Mean 90's, and Pearly Gates.

Maybe a silly question but how would single coils fit with a hollow body? An avenue worth investigating or leave well alone?

P90's it is then!

Currently looking at options from

https://tvjones.com/pickups/magnatron.htm

Zephyr Blues P90 Pickups: SD Pickups: Custom-Made, Hand-Wound Pickups by Dave Stephens, Stephens Design

Bare Knuckle Pickups, North Devon, UK - Hand Wound Guitar Pickups

Welcome to Lindy Fralin Pickups: Fralin P-90 Style Pickups - the Finest Guitar Pickups Available Today!

Wizard Pickups

Also found a similar thread on here which mentioned a few of the above makers as being pretty reputable which is good.

Thanks for the tip Bigsby - it looks like a winner to me! I'll check out the sound clips when I get home.

How about Seymour Duncan P-Rails, with a bit of push-pull jiggery pokery you can get P90, humbucker AND strat tones from the one pickup:

Progressive - P-Rails SHPR-1 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Alternatively they make a humbucker sized P90.

Progressive - Phat Cat SPH90-1 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

I haven't actually played either, but my experience with Seymour Duncan pickups has been excellent in the past.