aberdeen-music

Picky drummers??

Drummerboy

This is so true about "house hardware" - its always bent to buggery and you can never really change the angles etc on it. The only main problem ive got with taking all your own gear is weather they can be bothered to let you use it - i had a gig at the Moorings bar last summer and this band had come up all the way from Hull to play. Their drummer had brought his pearl Masters with him but they did not let him set it up even though he was perfectly hapyp for all of the drumms that night to use his kit - boo hoo to the moornings!!:down::down:

boo hoo to the boy who was stupid enough to take a drum kit all the way up from hull, if he had asked before he would had saved himself the bother.

There is no venue in aberdeen, bar the moorings, that wont let you use your own gear, and the reason they wont is because they provide kit that is more than good enough and is set up sound wise for their building.

Why would you want to bring your own kit to a gig to see it get abused by other bands who have no interest in making sure it stays in good nic? Put the lemon tree aside and its almost completely pointless taking your own drum kit to a gig in aberdeen, for the quality of sound most places produce alone, your fancy 3000 DW is going to sound almost exactly the same as the battered premier thing in drummonds.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is that angling your drums towards/away from you depends entirely on your own technique, your grip, the way you throw the stick at the drum etc...and making some blanket statement suggesting that you will sound shit unless you're drums are positioned a certain way is bollocks.

Example....Mike 'Puffy' Bordin, of Ozzy/Faith No More fame, plays with his toms ridiculously high and flat. Like most people, I couldnt possibly play his kit with my way of playing, but he hardly sounds shit does he?

exactly! everyone plays their own way, no one has the right to say "your shit" because they dont set up the kit the same as they do.

I like this thread.

Echo Frosty's point about being able to play almost any type of set-up: it's all fine and well being picky when you're practising or in the studio with your set up, but at gigs there's always going to be a chance you'll have to use a house kit that won't be tailor made for you. A good drummer will get round this, no matter what style he/she plays.

I don't use hi-hats on my live Wifebeater set up. I don't need them because I prefer the volume of a crash/ride, but again that comes down to what you prefer.

:up:

if i was a drummer i'd agree with this. you use an Evans on your snare don't you? sounds off the chizzle.

(didn't see this first time round!)

Aye! Evans on the snare (and everything else apart from the bass drum). Sounds totally mint as! ...Although recent bashing has require a little retuning, it still gives a decent thuuuummp.

boo hoo to the boy who was stupid enough to take a drum kit all the way up from hull, if he had asked before he would had saved himself the bother.

There is no venue in aberdeen, bar the moorings, that wont let you use your own gear, and the reason they wont is because they provide kit that is more than good enough and is set up sound wise for their building.

Why would you want to bring your own kit to a gig to see it get abused by other bands who have no interest in making sure it stays in good nic? Put the lemon tree aside and its almost completely pointless taking your own drum kit to a gig in aberdeen, for the quality of sound most places produce alone, your fancy 3000 DW is going to sound almost exactly the same as the battered premier thing in drummonds.

My point was not about worrying about brining your kit to a gig to have others use it as obvously the guy said he did not mind. Ths point was the guys who run moorsings could have made an expection as it would not have been the end of the world to set up his kit - they just could not be assed. But anyway it depends what gigs you go to - alot of gigs with my band are booked for us - as in we are the main band playing. So i do take a kit most times becuase A) The venue we play does not normally have a kit or B) i'll be the only one playing it so i don't mind taking it.

I like this thread.

Echo Frosty's point about being able to play almost any type of set-up: it's all fine and well being picky when you're practising or in the studio with your set up, but at gigs there's always going to be a chance you'll have to use a house kit that won't be tailor made for you. A good drummer will get round this, no matter what style he/she plays.

I don't use hi-hats on my live Wifebeater set up. I don't need them because I prefer the volume of a crash/ride, but again that comes down to what you prefer.

:up:

Ahhhh Wifebeater - good old Dave on guitar. I miss him - used to play in Red Mongouse with him:up:

My point was not about worrying about brining your kit to a gig to have others use it as obvously the guy said he did not mind. Ths point was the guys who run moorsings could have made an expection as it would not have been the end of the world to set up his kit - they just could not be assed. But anyway it depends what gigs you go to - alot of gigs with my band are booked for us - as in we are the main band playing. So i do take a kit most times becuase A) The venue we play does not normally have a kit or B) i'll be the only one playing it so i don't mind taking it.

The moorings clearly states that no band is allowed to bring their own drumkit unless they specifially ask Flash and get his approval beforehand. Its no small job to take down the kit at the moorings as it is always set up to use without any dicking about. Also the moorings does no sound checks and setting up a new kit would require it which again would be a waste of time when you already have a kit set up and sound checked.

Ive taken my kit to gigs before and found it to be the biggest waste of time ever, if your playing 30-40 mins why bother? I also do cover bands which i do take my own gear to but then we are the only band playing and we play for 3-4 hours.

Ths point was the guys who run moorsings could have made an expection as it would not have been the end of the world to set up his kit - they just could not be assed.

If there is one accusation that can never be levelled at the Moorings guys, it is a lack of assedness. Pretty much nowhere tries harder to help bands have a good gig. Do you know anywhere else that will supply a house guitar as a spare, and restring and retune yours if you break a string?

More info here - http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/moorings-bar/37344-rules-bands.html

If there is one accusation that can never be levelled at the Moorings guys, it is a lack of assedness. Pretty much nowhere tries harder to help bands have a good gig. Do you know anywhere else that will supply a house guitar as a spare, and restring and retune yours if you break a string?

More info here - http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/moorings-bar/37344-rules-bands.html

Have never played at the Moorings, but have to say that if more venues adopted their guidelines, the world would be a happier place.

Re. the house drum-kit, I can totally understand the Moorings' preference for bands using the house gear if there's a rapid turnover of acts on any given night, and if they've gone to the bother of EQ'ing the drums to perfection....makes a lot of sense.

Was just wondering if the use of house drums was expected at other live music venues across the land?

Have never played at the Moorings, but have to say that if more venues adopted their guidelines, the world would be a happier place.

Re. the house drum-kit, I can totally understand the Moorings' preference for bands using the house gear if there's a rapid turnover of acts on any given night, and if they've gone to the bother of EQ'ing the drums to perfection....makes a lot of sense.

Was just wondering if the use of house drums was expected at other live music venues across the land?

Yeah i agree it would not be the end of the world for them to be more flexable. And im not just talking about Aberdeen venues.

I was talking about the drum kit not guitar - they can be as nice as they like to the guitarist its not exactly going to affect me is it? I like the moornings and the folk which run it but again sometimes you just need to make an exception.

I was talking about the drum kit not guitar - they can be as nice as they like to the guitarist its not exactly going to affect me is it?

Did you read the link? The point you're missing is that you simply can not say that they "couldn't be assed". It is exactly because they could be assed, and go to such extreme lengths to make everything perfect on stage that on this occasion it was the drummer who should have had the sense to be flexible.

Problem is with other venues adopting the Moorings guidelines is that other venues don't have the nice gear and don't keep it in as good condition. When the drum heads and cymbal stands are held together with duct tape it doesn't inspire you to want to use them so they would need to do something about that first.

Rockers in Glasgow is the only other venue I've played where they insist on you using their gear for fast turnovers.

Did you read the link? The point you're missing is that you simply can not say that they "couldn't be assed". It is exactly because they could be assed, and go to such extreme lengths to make everything perfect on stage that on this occasion it was the drummer who should have had the sense to be flexible.

I was there on that night i am talking about and there was plenty of time to change the kit!! We had ages before the doors opened and if they had spent less time moaning over which kit to use and just set it up then it would have worked fine. I can't see why you seem to want to take sides in this - were you there??

I was there on that night i am talking about and there was plenty of time to change the kit!! We had ages before the doors opened and if they had spent less time moaning over which kit to use and just set it up then it would have worked fine. I can't see why you seem to want to take sides in this - were you there??

you really just dont get the point at all do you?

No i think you don't get my point but oh well.

why would you possilbe want to use a kit that hasnt been EQ'd specifically for the venue rather than the house kit that is set up to sound as good as it can? No matter what drum kit you bring it would have to be EQ'd as the moorings wouldnt allow it any other way, which would then take time out of the gig night, (they wont come in hours early to accomodate you and why should they?) which you would then moan at at the end of the night when you only got to play 4 of your hits instead of 5-6. The band from hull would then piss and moan they came all the way up (with their fancy drum kit) only to play for 20 mins and Flash then has to deal with it all before getting up the next day to start again.

NOW do you get the point?

This is indeed at times a very funny thread.

If it sounds good, you can adjust to your own preference of set up, near enough and folks that run the venue help heaps then its a win win situation? Any drummer turning up with his/her own kit to The Moorings should be allowed to take the house kit down, set up own kit, not get EQ'd differently from house kit, take down own kit and re set house kit. All of this within alloted set time. The rest of the band may have something to say about the minus 20minutes gig they get to not play!

Personally I would prefer to use my own kit at The Tunnels, and share it, as the house one is a little ragged around the edges, or was the last time I tried to use it.