aberdeen-music

Picky drummers??

Drummerboy

Guest treader.

I'm really picky about how the toms sit on my kit. and how the snare sits. If the snare isnt flat (I get that from playing in pipe bands) I get really annoyed and feel like a can't bust a groove properly.

I'm also really picky about what sticks I use, and cant just adapt to any pair of sticks like some drummers I know can.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note to Cap Sant: You are not Peter and Craig. :up:

:up:

My opinons on drums are meaningless anyway. I've barely even touched a drum kit in my life. I don't want to. I broke two fingers whilst trying to carry two drum stands in one hand before because I'm shit. I accidently clattered them against a door, and they twisted my ring and pinky fingers right round. They might as well have just broken right off. Drums can do one!

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'm really picky about how the toms sit on my kit. and how the snare sits. If the snare isnt flat (I get that from playing in pipe bands) I get really annoyed and feel like a can't bust a groove properly.

I'm also really picky about what sticks I use, and cant just adapt to any pair of sticks like some drummers I know can.

ok that is one thing. i need the snare high and flat. if not i can't play on the rims properly and thus i can't get the correct dynamic range from it. i can't stand drummers who have their snares sitting at a fucking angle, how on earth could it possibly help unless they have totally deformed arms? and snare drums that are down at your fucking ankles. what a bunch of assholes!

ok that is one thing. i need the snare high and flat. if not i can't play on the rims properly and thus i can't get the correct dynamic range from it. i can't stand drummers who have their snares sitting at a fucking angle, how on earth could it possibly help unless they have totally deformed arms? and snare drums that are down at your fucking ankles. what a bunch of assholes!

Buddy Rich managed fine....

Guest treader.

Buddy Rich had his tilted away from him, as most jazz drummers tend to do.

I think Tom means when people tilt the drum towards themselves, thus making everything they play shit.

This is all nonsense. I don't give a poo what my drums sound like. I learnt on a 3rd hand Olyimpic by Premier kit that could have been anything between 10 and 30 years old, I really don't know, or care. I now have a Premier Cabria that I got second hand and a bunch of mismatched cymbals that I bought off ebay. It sounds ace!

I guess I'm not a picky drummer... I never understood why people don't just use the house kit at gigs. Saves a lot of bother, no?

wait until you come to record your kit - only then does it really hit you how good or bad sounding it is. And alot of musicians like using their own stuff - i guess it all depends if you care about things like the sound and "playability" of your instriment do you start to care about which kit you play - the house one or your own.

Buddy Rich managed fine....

travis from blink also does.

I tend to tilt mines slightly forward, i must admit i first did it because i watched a heap of buddy rich videos but now i find it very difficult to play when its not tilted. I find it better for getting a very punchy sounding snare.

As for the keith moon comment, you are talking about something different, the point that was made was not setting up a set of hats would be a cool idea, but moon used hats alot of the time he just used cymbols more often. I dont think a kit would feel right without a set of hats, i use them for keeping time as much as anything, it would be strange not to have them there.

Yeah i kinda agree with this. The only drummer which springs to mind who never used a hi-hat much is Keith Moon and he was a nutter lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The drummer that sprang to mind is the chap from Jupiter Lander, who's name escapes me. I think he uses hats in JL, but in two of his previous bands, Duckstab and We Are Corpses!! he just used a snare, ride and one tom. No hats. It sounded ace.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Buddy Rich had his tilted away from him, as most jazz drummers tend to do.

I think Tom means when people tilt the drum towards themselves, thus making everything they play shit.

yeah i did. angled at an incline to the drummer's face.

The drummer that sprang to mind is the chap from Jupiter Lander, who's name escapes me. I think he uses hats in JL, but in two of his previous bands, Duckstab and We Are Corpses!! he just used a snare, ride and one tom. No hats. It sounded ace.

Hmm well guess it ovbously does happen but again its hard to see most mainstream music without hats - jazz maybe. alot of thats on the ride/crash rides anyway but id be lost without a hi-hat...

yeah i did. angled at an incline to the drummer's face.

Hmm, I dunno... I usually have my snare angled slightly towards me, and I seem to get a decent sound, rimshots and all. Surely it all depends on height though? If you're playing matched grip, the stick comes down in an arc in front of you, so it all depends where in that arc it makes contact. If the snare is set quite low then I can see how having it angled away could work, but if the snare is quite high surely it has to be angled towards you? And the whole Buddy Rich comparison only works if you're playing orthodox grip, doesn't it?

Anyway, I think it's important (or handy at least) to be able to play on any kit without having to spend an hour tweaking each bit until it's exactly right. I'm sure the sound engineer types would agree that there is nothing worse than watching a drummer endlessly adjusting everything during a changeover. If you're supporting another band and using their kit, you should be able to avoid mucking about with their setup unless absolutely necessary.

wait until you come to record your kit - only then does it really hit you how good or bad sounding it is. And alot of musicians like using their own stuff - i guess it all depends if you care about things like the sound and "playability" of your instriment do you start to care about which kit you play - the house one or your own.

Agree with all of this. I tune to notes with brand new heads when recording. The results are very worth the effort :love:

Regardless of whether or not I take all my own drums to gigs, I always take my hardware. There is no way I'd ever put my cymbals on house stands as they are nearly always lacking a cymbal sleeve and are quite often stuck and hard to adjust. I've also played too many house hihat stands which didn't lift properly. And then there's the issue of thrones as I sit quite high and most are stuck a foot off the ground. It's all about me getting the setup I want and feeling comfortable. The more comfortable I feel, the better I'll play.

Of course there is also the part of me not understanding why you would pay thousands for a kit just to leave it at home :D

Bottom line is that angling your drums towards/away from you depends entirely on your own technique, your grip, the way you throw the stick at the drum etc...and making some blanket statement suggesting that you will sound shit unless you're drums are positioned a certain way is bollocks.

Example....Mike 'Puffy' Bordin, of Ozzy/Faith No More fame, plays with his toms ridiculously high and flat. Like most people, I couldnt possibly play his kit with my way of playing, but he hardly sounds shit does he?

Agree with all of this. I tune to notes with brand new heads when recording. The results are very worth the effort :love:

Regardless of whether or not I take all my own drums to gigs, I always take my hardware. There is no way I'd ever put my cymbals on house stands as they are nearly always lacking a cymbal sleeve and are quite often stuck and hard to adjust. I've also played too many house hihat stands which didn't lift properly. And then there's the issue of thrones as I sit quite high and most are stuck a foot off the ground. It's all about me getting the setup I want and feeling comfortable. The more comfortable I feel, the better I'll play.

Of course there is also the part of me not understanding why you would pay thousands for a kit just to leave it at home :D

This is so true about "house hardware" - its always bent to buggery and you can never really change the angles etc on it. The only main problem ive got with taking all your own gear is weather they can be bothered to let you use it - i had a gig at the Moorings bar last summer and this band had come up all the way from Hull to play. Their drummer had brought his pearl Masters with him but they did not let him set it up even though he was perfectly hapyp for all of the drumms that night to use his kit - boo hoo to the moornings!!:down::down:

Bottom line is that angling your drums towards/away from you depends entirely on your own technique, your grip, the way you throw the stick at the drum etc...and making some blanket statement suggesting that you will sound shit unless you're drums are positioned a certain way is bollocks.

Example....Mike 'Puffy' Bordin, of Ozzy/Faith No More fame, plays with his toms ridiculously high and flat. Like most people, I couldnt possibly play his kit with my way of playing, but he hardly sounds shit does he?

Don't forget good old Vergin Donati - the way he goes around those toms above his head is mado_O