aberdeen-music

Picky drummers??

Drummerboy

Right so heres the thing with me - i think im picky as a drummer. For starters i can't stand nicks, marks, scratches on my drums. When ive had it happen before ive ended up selling the snare/kit. Am i alone here lol? Also really picky about sound, again drummers spend years trying to perfect the perfect sound and im always trying to enhance my drum sound. Skin choice is obvously really important - i love high pitched ringy sounds where the drums are open. So i tend to use thinner skins. But for bass drum i like it punchy so at the moment its the good old Remo Powerstroke 3. What about you?? what skins you use and what sound do you prefer??:up:

Drummerboy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Controlled Sound (CS). Way more focussed sounding in the middle as it has a laminated centre. Nice midrange over the rest. More like an ambassador with focus than anything else that springs to mind :up:

That's exactly what it is....it's just a plain old coated ambassador with a heavy dot on the underside of the head.

I use Aquarian Super-kick II bass drum heads......coated 2-ply Evans G2 batterheads, 1-ply Evans Genera resonant heads and an Evans HD Dry snare drum head...the one with the tiny perforations around the edge.

Played Remo Emperors/Ambasadors for years, but prefer Evans at the moment.

That's exactly what it is....it's just a plain old coated ambassador with a heavy dot on the underside of the head.

I use Aquarian Super-kick II bass drum heads......coated 2-ply Evans G2 batterheads, 1-ply Evans Genera resonant heads and an Evans HD Dry snare drum head...the one with the tiny perforations around the edge.

Played Remo Emperors/Ambasadors for years, but prefer Evans at the moment.

Yeah ive been thinking about changing to evans for a while now - but the more kits you have the more expensive it is to re-skin the top and bottom of every hear:down:

Ive literally just 1 hour ago taken deilvery of my Premier Series kit and its got a Aquarian "Super kick 1" on it - any idea what thats like as i won't get to hear it until next band practice.....(sign)

Yeah ive been thinking about changing to evans for a while now - but the more kits you have the more expensive it is to re-skin the top and bottom of every hear:down:

Ive literally just 1 hour ago taken deilvery of my Premier Series kit and its got a Aquarian "Super kick 1" on it - any idea what thats like as i won't get to hear it until next band practice.....(sign)

I actually bought a Super-kick I by mistake not that long ago, thinking it was a super-kick II.......they're good. Not as fat sounding as the SK II, but a very decent head....

Much the same as the difference between Powerstroke II and III heads.

Your opening sentence is a bit odd. It need not be any more expensive using Evans than using Remo...you hardly need to re-head all your kits simultaneously, nor is it desperately important to re-head the undersides on every drum. Next time one of your kits is due a re-head, try Evans as a trial. Why waste a fortune doing all 5 kits when you might not even like them?!

I actually bought a Super-kick I by mistake not that long ago, thinking it was a super-kick II.......they're good. Not as fat sounding as the SK II, but a very decent head....

Much the same as the difference between Powerstroke II and III heads.

Your opening sentence is a bit odd. It need not be any more expensive using Evans than using Remo...you hardly need to re-head all your kits simultaneously, nor is it desperately important to re-head the undersides on every drum. Next time one of your kits is due a re-head, try Evans as a trial. Why waste a fortune doing all 5 kits when you might not even like them?!

Cool cool - ive nver realy used a Powerstroke II so can't compair but the Aquarian I looks like a thinner head than im used to so it much even be more punchy:up:

Regarding the Evans heads - to be honest i know what your getting at. However im very picky about everything matching on a kit. As in if it has Evans on the top, it has them on the bottom etc. But i would of course do it on 1 kit first to see how it went. The one i want to change is my Pearl as ive seen A few drum clinics with pearl players who use Evans i think it sounds much better on a Masters kit. You said you god, or had, a Premier modern Classic by any chance?? What they like? Ive only ever played a standard 14, by 5.5 inch. Ive heard bad reputation about the nickleworks strainer being fragil though!!

Cool cool - ive nver realy used a Powerstroke II so can't compair but the Aquarian I looks like a thinner head than im used to so it much even be more punchy:up:

Regarding the Evans heads - to be honest i know what your getting at. However im very picky about everything matching on a kit. As in if it has Evans on the top, it has them on the bottom etc. But i would of course do it on 1 kit first to see how it went. The one i want to change is my Pearl as ive seen A few drum clinics with pearl players who use Evans i think it sounds much better on a Masters kit. You said you god, or had, a Premier modern Classic by any chance?? What they like? Ive only ever played a standard 14, by 5.5 inch. Ive heard bad reputation about the nickleworks strainer being fragil though!!

Hmmm, sounds like you might have a little OCD going on there re. same heads on top/bottom, but each to their own....:up:

Premier Modern Classic is an excellent drum......and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the strainer. Much smoother action than most, and as with most things, if you look after it, I very much doubt it will break.

Hmmm, sounds like you might have a little OCD going on there re. same heads on top/bottom, but each to their own....:up:

Premier Modern Classic is an excellent drum......and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the strainer. Much smoother action than most, and as with most things, if you look after it, I very much doubt it will break.

Hmmm well its not umcommon to what your stuff to match but yes i am picky about it. hence why i went with Pearl to begin with and they have great drums, hardware and their percussion an't that bad either.

Cheers for the heads up about snare as i wil prob get one soon. But if you check out the new cat online from their website the new snares look fantastic as they use the same lugs as the series kit and it has a new strainer so might go with that instead:up:

I'd say I am quite picky. Any drums I buy must have a satin finish or else I'm not interested. Not really a fan of playing the house kits at the tunnels etc as they don't sound even nearly like I want it to and so quite often I take my own. As for tuning, I like everything tuned really low and don't use moon gell or anything like that

All my heads are Evans (except for the Bass Drum Reso) as I like how open and lively they sound and the coating endurance is pretty good. Had Aquarian's on for a bit and really liked them but recorded they sounded quite dull. The heads I use at the moment are:

Snare batter - Coated G1

Snare reso - Hazy 300

Toms batter - Coated G2

Toms reso - Clear G1

Bass batter - EMAD Coated (I ended up not using the foam rings so might get an EQ4 Coated next time)

Bass reso - Aquarian Regulator

:D

I'd say I am quite picky. Any drums I buy must have a satin finish or else I'm not interested. Not really a fan of playing the house kits at the tunnels etc as they don't sound even nearly like I want it to and so quite often I take my own. As for tuning, I like everything tuned really low and don't use moon gell or anything like that

All my heads are Evans (except for the Bass Drum Reso) as I like how open and lively they sound and the coating endurance is pretty good. Had Aquarian's on for a bit and really liked them but recorded they sounded quite dull. The heads I use at the moment are:

Snare batter - Coated G1

Snare reso - Hazy 300

Toms batter - Coated G2

Toms reso - Clear G1

Bass batter - EMAD Coated (I ended up not using the foam rings so might get an EQ4 Coated next time)

Bass reso - Aquarian Regulator

:D

Yeah i must admit i don't think i have ever liked a typical "house" drum kit as most are battered to hell! Mind you thats even more picky than me only buying drums with a satin finnish lol. But 3 of my kits are sparkles so i guess i like those alot for some reason - think its becuase of when the light hits it on stage or so it really stands out better.

Cool heads - as i say im not used to Evans heads yet. But i do LOVE the EMAD bass drum head from Evans. Its such a good idea and it makes even a cheap kick drum sound ace.

i like evans heads. i also like drum kits with as little shit as possible, cymbal snare and kick plez

I wish i could just do with as little as possible - but when your used to a big rig its harder to size down. having said that where i practise for my blues band i just use a sonor jungle kit and hats, crash/ride and ride so just a typical jazz setting really.

hi hat, snare, kick, floor tom, i wish i could just use one cymbal but i really need two. one with a good bell so i can get them braid 'TINGS', and the other with a decent crash.

if i was a drummer i'd agree with this. you use an Evans on your snare don't you? sounds off the chizzle.

I reckon if I was a drummer, I would scrap the hi-hat completely, as I don't like them unless they are open and clattering around. I'd just alternate between the chiming of the ride cymbal and the tinkling of the bell, then make a load of racket with a crash the size of houses. Maybe I'd mix it up a bit with a cowbell, or two different cowbells of slightly different sizes. Then just a kick and a dead tinny, clangy snare. And maybe a sample pad, that triggers a singular clip of a pre-recorded mass-handclap, like on Queen's We Will Rock You. Anthemic

I reckon if I was a drummer, I would scrap the hi-hat completely, as I don't like them unless they are open and clattering around. I'd just alternate between the chiming of the ride cymbal and the tinkling of the bell, then make a load of racket with a crash the size of houses. Maybe I'd mix it up a bit with a cowbell, or two different cowbells of slightly different sizes. Then just a kick and a dead tinny, clangy snare. And maybe a sample pad, that triggers a singular clip of a pre-recorded mass-handclap, like on Queen's We Will Rock You. Anthemic

No hi-hat???(

I take it your in a heavy band ? I actually want to change my hi-hat as im bored with the sound now.

This is all nonsense. I don't give a poo what my drums sound like. I learnt on a 3rd hand Olyimpic by Premier kit that could have been anything between 10 and 30 years old, I really don't know, or care. I now have a Premier Cabria that I got second hand and a bunch of mismatched cymbals that I bought off ebay. It sounds ace!

I guess I'm not a picky drummer... I never understood why people don't just use the house kit at gigs. Saves a lot of bother, no?