aberdeen-music

New Animal Collective

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I cant remember what it's called, and the CD is stupid and doesn't actually say anywhere, apart from possibly in some very thin and weird writing on the middle case (which is packaged within a 2nd case).

I heard this last sunday but wasn't allowed to buy it. and now I have my own copy. on first couple of listens, it's really fantastic. the songs are the most straightforward & 'pop' that the dudes have released in their melodies and structure, but it's still too weird to be 'accessable' to your dad. as they hinted at with the last record (and especially live) the focus has been moved away from traditional instruments anymore - no guitars or drums, or if they are, they are barely audible & only present for effect...it's synths and drum machines all the way. the weird thing is though, while the instrumentation has become more synthesised and digital, the overall production and sound is probably closer to 'feels' than 'strawberry jam'. everyone i have spoken to has said that they are finding it hard to get into, which I guess is quite a common reaction to a new AC album. personally though, i've gone into this one head first and I'm loving it.

anyone else have any thoughts?