aberdeen-music

Guilty pleasures

Ithaca

Right folks, I was wandering if you fancied sharing all those guilty music pleasures you normally tend to keep on the down-lo. Now I'm not trying to cause a mass debate about whether artists mentioned here are credible (everyone is entitled to there opinons etc etc etc, and fuck it some tunes just have that sentimental attachment), but I'd love to hear from those death metal loving dudes that just can't help singing along to Hanson's 'Mmm Bop'' etc.

Also, what was your parents music taste like? Were you subjected to the likes of Neil Diamond day in day out (I have to confess I can't help singing along to 'Love On the Rocks' when I hear it - I know, I know!) On the flip-side, did you're folks' taste in some way shape you're own?

That's enough questions from me. Happy Saturday! :up:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet jesus, I like Megadeth AND the Cardigans.

I am sickened when I see the phrases 'guilty pleasure' and 'perfect pop'. Apparently everyone thinks they're the only person in the world with a remotely eclectic musical taste.

edit: As for my parents's influence, the first songs I remember are Psycho Killer by Talking Heads and Ry Cooder's Crazy 'bout an Automobile. Amazing.

Mostly I listen to classic rock, indie, dance (techno, DnB, breaks), blues, hip-hop. But here are a few of my "guilty pleasures".

The Caesars and not just "Jerk It Out", Beyonce, Kelis, Amerie, Pink, hell I even own a kylie single (for the remix admittedly). I even like that Leona Lewis single, probably the only reality pop/music show song I have ever liked.

Coldplay, no one admits to liking them, but yet they still sell that many albums, how?

My list could go on forever.

I am 100% guilt-free in my loving of Fall Out Boy, Coldplay (generally the new record, but some of the older stuff is decent as well), Slipknot, Dragonforce, Panic at the Disco etc. etc. etc.

I realised only a short while ago that expressions like "good pop music" are just euphemisms for "it's not particularly cool, but I like it". I don't understand why anyone feels the need to justify liking anything.

As for my parents' music taste, my mum loves the Beatles, Amen Corner, The Small Faces, Queen etc. while my dad is well into Pink Floyd, Neil Young, The Blue Nile, The Who and Jackson Browne. They both tend to come through to Aberdeen/Glasgow with me for gigs sometimes though. Me and my mum went to Edinburgh to see Duke Special a couple of years back, while my Dad came down to Tool, Iron Maiden, Muse and some others. They introduced me to a lot of excellent music, and are also open-minded enough to listen to stuff I bring home, which is great.

Guilty ones...George Formby, Melanie, Jim Reeves in small doses and Joan Armatrading.

My folks liked Johnny Cash, which put me off him, Miki & Griff, Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves etc (but the only bit of that which stuch was Gentleman Jim. Luckily my big sister & her boyfriends liked decent stuff, so I had a steady diet of early Who, Stones, Beatles, Kinks etc

Guest davetherave

guilty

My parents liked some really bland stuff, I remember them playing those early 70s top of the pops compilation albums with the new seekers and such like (I'm 42), being Welsh they were huge fans of Tom Jones and Mary Hopkins. Luckily I had a cool uncle that introduced me to sabbath, slade and King Crimson!

Guilty pleasures for me would include anything from my youth, Madness, Buzzcocks, XTC :up:

I guess I own things that stick out of my collection quite sorely, but I wouldn't consider myself feeling guilty for liking any of them. A good song is a good song. I really dig post-Peter Gabriel era Genesis, when it became purely Phil Collins' band, and they just wrote stadium-rock pop songs.

I also really like Huey Lewis and the News. Sports is a great pop album. The Jackson Five, Joe Cocker, The Housemartins, The Monkees... Just old pop music in general.

I used to like a lot of classic metal, but I haven't listened to any for ages. The first three Metallica albums mainly, but when I've started to play them recently, I've usually switched them off shortly after.