aberdeen-music

Anyone been to Rome?

Lucius

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I had a flying day visit to Rome a couple of years ago, and there is a LOT to look at. We did it all on foot, and were pretty tired by the end of the day.

I can't even remember much about individual things to be honest - just loads of really cool architecture and arty type stuff to look at - some of it is really amazing. One thing to note - if you want to see the Sistine Chapel, it closes at about lunchtime(ish), so go first thing. We made the mistake of aiming for Vatican City and there mid-afternoon to find it closed :(

So much to do and see in so little time. Be prepared to queue for pretty much everything. This site might be of some use to you...

Rome Things To Do - Rome Attractions - VirtualTourist.com

Oh and the advice about looking after you're valuables is spot on (people with sticky fingers will be watching you). Also, take care crossing roads, 'cause the driving out there is MENTAL!!! :up:

• Upvote 1

I think you can get these audio guide things now, sounds interesting like a tour guide but without one!!

Pickpockets are rife in all these touristy places which are mobbed, I got pickpockted in Barcelona last year (yip I was drunk) lucky it was only money and a card and nothing like my passport!!

I've been to Rome twice and loved it. Last time I went we waited to see the Sistine Chapel. I didn't really have much in the way of expectations but upon entering the hall and seeing it....well, I was blown away. What was even more impressive was seeing the School of Athens by Raphael. Remarkable. Yes, the was a long wait to see these and yes, the Chapel itslelf is hugely crowded but it was well worth it.

The Coliseum is a must. The entrance fee is a little high and the audio tour is a little difficult to navigate, but again it is worth doing to help bring a bit more detail to the building. It is wonderful getting the chance to walk around it.

Catch a gander of the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II whose derogatory nickname is the Wedding Cake due to it's uber ornate stylings.

The Trevi fountain is beautiful but ruined by venders selling the worst pieces of nonsense you have ever seen.

Oh god, the Pantheon. That is probably top of my list. It is beautiful and one of the finest preserved achievments from the Roman world.

All in all, it's one of the best cities to just wander about in. You don't know what great historic site is hiding just round the corner.

We never had any problem with pickpockets but I just treat anywhere I go with same approach - Don't go anyway which has a really bad rep, don't make yourself an obvious target, and stay aware of your surroundings.

I think we ate at a resturant called Ristorante Alla Rampa which is just next to the Spanish Steps. Best Tiramisu ever there along with some fresh pasta dishes which were wonderful (one starter had "hay and straw" pasta which was incredible!). I also had the best Baba Rum (sponge soaked in rum syrup) of my life in Rome.

If anything else jumps to mind, I pop it up.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
...and do watch the roads. Worst. Driving. Ever. Scooters will be up your arse before you know it.

Holy shit. I'd forgotten about the mental drivers.

Be VERY AWARE that the little green man on pedestrian crossings appears to be green light to mow down pedestrians.

Be very careful when crossing the roads. Mental bastards.

As far as pickpocketing etc - never bothered us at all. We were there in early January, and it wasn't mentally busy at all to be honest.

:up:

I spent a month in Rome this summer. I'd say a weekend is the perfect amount of time, any longer and you realise Italians should be wiped off the space of the planet...

Most of the sights are a tad dull unless you have a tour guide telling you some, probably made up, stories. Guide woman in the colloseum made two men in our group fight and likened me to a vestal virgin. Made my life.

My top tip is don't bother paying for it, just tag onto a decent sized one and they'll be none the wiser.

I've never been, but in terms of art, outwith the Vatican, what I would most like to see are Annibale Carracci's fresco cycle in the Palazzo Farnese, apparently its not as busy as some of the other galleries and churches, and an opportunity to see a world class piece of Baroque Classicism.

Google Image Result for http://depts.washington.edu/findrome/images/imagefiles/fresco/farnese.jpg

Also some good Caravaggios, in Rome, not the Farnese, at the Contarelli and Cerasi chapels, the Borghese gallery, the Doria Pamphilij, and the Museo Arte Anticca. Probably more too.