aberdeen-music

HMV purchase Moshulu?

Kowalski

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
As always, Mr Rass has hit the nail on the head with this already but since the first start of this thread...

Just found out,in the last 4 months we have gone from

Barfly Aberdeen

to

a Mean Fiddler venue - dropping the barfly tag as we are too big to be a barfly venue.

to

HMV / Mamagroup owned (possibly still mean fiddler venue)

to

being told to bill all current events as Moshulu presents.. and to drop the barfly tag.

All very confusing...

Anyway,

HMV popped past in the form of two directors last week.

Both were very nice people and came to see the place and meet us.

They had a look around, took some notes and they asked us what we thought could be done to the venue to make more people come and maximise buisness and we said our thoughts - which are all the things we all read about on here (toilets, carpet, general lighting, venue maintenence and etc).

They were keen on listening to us and i think when they officially become involved (a month or so away) they will actually bring a lot to the table without an awful lot changing really.

For you guys,

It doesnt change much really that the punters would notice - no name change unless they refurb from scratch (miles away if it does happen but it isnt unlikely) - apart from unfortunately yes tickets will be in hmv instead of one up. I am going to try and speak to the powers that be about this but i can guess the answer. This will happen at some point but i dont know when, until you hear differently - go to one up.

For us staff,

It changes a few things - who we answer to possibly on some levels, the way we put shows on sale, run shows, and there will (im sure) be some changes to the management structure at head office level which will no doubt change our job titles.

All in all..

From a marketing point of view - its a good move.

Bascially they have a really good online marketing / branding team whos specific job will be to make sure everyone knows which bands are playing, when and for how much.

We try to do that as much as we can using these forums, getting posters out, mailouts etc but...

The current barfly website is pretty crap and has limited info on it - there is also no way to assess how many people are actually checking it - its basically a link from my diary / calender to the public - i click confirmed on a show - you guys get to see it.

WIth a proper website itd be much better - something they said theyd do.

Theyre talking about using their tie ins with festivals to get more bands up here - also a good thing.

They also said when they start to stock tickets, the artists catalogue will be given prime

place in the store so when punters go in they will see what shows they can buy tickets for and also what records they have out - i think this includes locals.

So id imagine i can speak to them about stocking local cds for local line ups too - something one up do admittedly but hey ho.

So, yeah, its a big corporate company muscling in on something but in a way i can see their logic. And to be honest, from my point of view - if theyre going to do all ticketing and help with marketing - it makes my job a lot easier.

Like a lot of people including myself, they see potential in the venue.

I think everyone agrees the venue has spades of it.

Maybe theyll be the ones , along with the mamagroup guys, to make the best of the place - they certainly have the know how.

In the meantime, its up to us to keep the venue as busy as possible and as well maintained as possible - which everyone is doing - and i think if we can keep our figures up (january has been quite healthy despite having no gigs) then theyll reciprocate and well see the benefits in due course.

Maybe theyll even get rid of the carpet...

x

Cool man, but keep the carpet. It's like an institution ;)

• 2 weeks later...
- apart from unfortunately yes tickets will be in hmv instead of one up. I am going to try and speak to the powers that be about this but i can guess the answer. This will happen at some point but i dont know when, until you hear differently - go to one up.

Do you know or can you ask if this means folk can buy tickets in stores without an extortionate booking free ala Ticketwanker, etc.

hmv is a good pick from a shit bunch to be fair. and the prices are pretty reasonable...

16 a CD reasonable?

It sucks because they get a lot of good imports in (well they say its imported...) and this seems a good reason for them to whack an "EXCLUSIVE IMPORT 20" sticker on it...then you stroll down to One Up and find the same CD for like 7.99....:down:

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
16 a CD reasonable?

It sucks because they get a lot of good imports in (well they say its imported...) and this seems a good reason for them to whack an "EXCLUSIVE IMPORT 20" sticker on it...then you stroll down to One Up and find the same CD for like 7.99....:down:

I think HMV is on the whole quite reasonable. The only places I buy CDs from (generally) are HMV and One-Up.

I was in Perth at the weekend and picked up 5 albums for about 35 in HMV, which I'd say is pretty good.

If you find a CD in HMV at 20, a good idea is to have a look in One-Up before buying it. If you can get it for 8 in One-Up, just buy it there.

As for the whole HMV owning Moshulu debate, if managed properly, it could be a good move for Moshulu and local bands.

I'd like to think they could wangle a way of still selling tickets in One Up as well though, because a store like One Up obviously needs and deserves support.

Do you know or can you ask if this means folk can buy tickets in stores without an extortionate booking free ala Ticketwanker, etc.

You dont really have to have an extortinate booking fee on ticketmaster/ticketweb etc. Just dont take the postage etc and collect your tickets at the box office. Thats available at most shows, that way you only have a small booking fee.

You dont really have to have an extortinate booking fee on ticketmaster/ticketweb etc. Just dont take the postage etc and collect your tickets at the box office. Thats available at most shows, that way you only have a small booking fee.

Nah, with Ticketmaster it's the same price to pick it up as it is to have the tickets delivered, 1.65, in addition to the service charge.