aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

New Walking Dead was on last night. Was okay. Better than it has been in a while, but that's not saying much. I'm pretty much at the point where I've invested so much time i feel like i have to see it through, and I'm unpatiently waiting for the final episode. Same with the comics. Time to get the Alien's involved and put an end to it. 

I thought the last season was actually pretty good. It's taken so long to build this world it you feel really invested in it so maybe my blinkers are on in terms of how good the show actually is. The mad lion king dude in the last season was equal parts ace and dumb. The Negan character was legitimately great though - so evil to the very core, which isn't always the case with baddies on shows like this. They went for it 100% to the point where he was so evil you kinda liked him for it.

I get weirdly nostalgic watching the Walking Dead. Watching them in such dire peril I'm thinking things like 'oh remember when life was bliss back in the prison'. I think it shows how well they've built up their universe over the years.

5 hours ago, ca_gere said:

I thought the last season was actually pretty good. It's taken so long to build this world it you feel really invested in it so maybe my blinkers are on in terms of how good the show actually is. The mad lion king dude in the last season was equal parts ace and dumb. The Negan character was legitimately great though - so evil to the very core, which isn't always the case with baddies on shows like this. They went for it 100% to the point where he was so evil you kinda liked him for it.

I get weirdly nostalgic watching the Walking Dead. Watching them in such dire peril I'm thinking things like 'oh remember when life was bliss back in the prison'. I think it shows how well they've built up their universe over the years.

Looking back, the season was actually okay. But the pacing was far too slow (we finally get negan then we have to sit through a bunch of bin-rakers talking like a stoned Yoda) and some of the script was just terrible -  they kept doing the bate and switch as if it was the most fantastic story telling device ever created. 

I think both Negan, and Ezekiel haven't translated well from comic to screen. Negan seemed super cool and menacing at first, but basically all he is now is a shit eating grin, leaning. I blame the showrunners for that though. JDM is a great actor, but i feel like he has no control over the character, and is just told to lean every DAMN time. They've made a very complex character very one note, and I think that kind of stuck with Kirkman as he wrote Here's Negan, which was pretty poor tbh.
And Ezekiel is very much a comic character. Hearing him do the theatre lines is just cringy at times.

Looking back, the way S7E1 was presented was brilliant. Showing Rick's trauma and making you wait to see who got killed was fantastic story telling. But any brilliance was trumped by that shitty S6 cliffhanger. 

On 23/10/2017 at 11:00 AM, AVB said:

Mindhunter on netflix is great. 

Binged this in 2 days. Really liked it. You can tell straight away it's a David Fincher project, which I love. Also, great to see the "His name is robert paulson" guy getting a meaty role. He was really great in it. As was the guy who played Ed Kemper. Fantastic.

Also watched Big Mouth. That's something else like. Belly laughs throughout and really surreal. Great cast too. 

Stranger Things 2 is getting watched now. Been pretty good so far.

On 10/28/2017 at 9:16 PM, Jaaakkkeee said:

Binged this in 2 days. Really liked it. You can tell straight away it's a David Fincher project, which I love. Also, great to see the "His name is robert paulson" guy getting a meaty role. He was really great in it. As was the guy who played Ed Kemper. Fantastic.

Also watched Big Mouth. That's something else like. Belly laughs throughout and really surreal. Great cast too. 

Stranger Things 2 is getting watched now. Been pretty good so far.

SHIT YEAH! Big Mouth is awesome! on the cartonn note I finally got in to Rick and Morty, didnt get it at first/didnt want too cos yknow.. 

stranger things season 2 is a disappointment made only slightly better by sweet sweet Winona 

On 11/9/2017 at 7:06 PM, Jaaakkkeee said:

Episode 7 was absolutely dire tho.

agreed, utter shite. I get they were trying to build up 11s transformation but it didnt work. the main points of it could have easily been a truncated storyline in another episode. As for those 'punks' ..gads min

Edited by AVB

9 hours ago, AVB said:

agreed, utter shite. I get they were trying to build up 11s transformation but it didnt work. the main points of it could have easily been a truncated storyline in another episode. As for those 'punks' ..gads min

I think that it was supposed to be an homage to gangs in those 80s films like The Lost Boys etc. that turned out more like a parody. And not a good parody, a Wayans Bro's affair.

It had some major points that needed exploring, but it was just so cringey and too close to a Heroes episode. A Heroes season 3 episode. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2017 at 8:53 PM, Soda Jerk said:

PUNISHER.

Spoiler: Everybody dies or gets gravely injured. Blood everywhere. Fuck loads of guns. Faces punched into a paste.

Rinsed it all in 2 days, now I just want to fight everyone.

I started it a while ago; a bit of a slow start. It was totally worth it for the last few episodes though. My cats had to run away in fear because of how excited I got when he finally got insignia'd up. 

Don't fuck with Frank.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee

I don't know why it's so compelling to watch, but it is. Rich people having rich people conversations. Jerry is a bit of a twat, and some of his guests who you might think are cool end up being a bit twatty too. But I keep watching it.

The Obama one is ace. Jerry had to be less of a twat to the president, but he still managed to be one a little bit.

On 04/02/2018 at 10:53 PM, Soda Jerk said:

I'm late to the Black Mirror party, but I'm totally on it now.

Except it's no party at all. I watch 2 or 3 at a time and then I can't feel feelings anymore. So bleak.

I can't go back. I really want to, but the Christmas Special fucked me up.

The Good Place - what a wonderful show. Ted Danson being cool older Ted Danson in hip new show a la Bored to Death. Kristen Bell being cute saying "Chidi". The whole package. Oh, also the story is pretty cool, and is strangely a more continuous story than other sitcoms. Loads of cool ethics stuff too. Comes from Michael Schur and I think that Fremulon has something to do with it (they make Brooklyn 99). Third season has been confirmed. I binged this in 3 days. All 2 seasons.

23 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Am I right in thinking they weren't always so bleak? Or am I just thinking of the David Cameron episode that I thought was a comedy?

I'm led to believe the Channel 4 ones are more black-comedy orientated from reading about them, but I've not seen them yet. Dived in at Season 4 and just finished both the Netflix seasons, working backwards.

The acting from the kid who plays Kenny in 'Shut Up and Dance' in S3 is incredible. That episode is mental. Be like Zuck and tape over your webcam.

Needed a Black Mirror antidote, so carried on with Brooklyn 99. I only got midway through Season 2 the first time, and then abandoned it for a long time. I did like it, but it got a bit samey and stopped grabbing me, despite all the cast being pretty great.

I thought it got quite a bit better in Season 3, as they introduce more rolling plotlines, rather than the more individual episodes in the first two seasons.

Gina and Holt are the greatest.

Bill Hader wasn't in it long enough.