aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

That's me firmly on the Game of Thrones bandwagon. I watched the first few episodes back when it was first on and couldn't get into it but decided to stick it out this time. Totally won over now. Fantastic show. Only onto S02E08 so plenty episodes to go, which is ace. Gave an audible 'YASS!' when Joffrey took a turd to the coupon. It's unlike any show i've ever watched really - you've got to let it wash over you in a way, rather than look for characters or storylines to hook onto. The closest thing to a 'main' character is probably Arya so far but there's not really a main storyline, which I really like. Everything that happens is portrayed as both hugely significant and inconsequential in a weird way. Good shit like.

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2017 at 9:25 AM, Soda Jerk said:

True. It was a standard "this is all the characters" script, but still better than most. Especially as none of the characters dramatically changed after 6 episodes, like a lot of sitcoms.

They jump right into the weirdness in Episode 2. The Jeff/Pierce montage in Spanish class is probably in my top 5 favourite bits from the whole show.

It makes me sad that Chevy and Dan fell out. Some of my favourite moments included Pierce. But if you watch Harmontown it's quite obvious who was really to blame. Dan Harmon looks like an absolute bastard to work for. Especially when he has a network to answer to. 

48 minutes ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

It makes me sad that Chevy and Dan fell out. Some of my favourite moments included Pierce. But if you watch Harmontown it's quite obvious who was really to blame. Dan Harmon looks like an absolute bastard to work for. Especially when he has a network to answer to. 

I don't know much about Dan Harmon, but Chevy Chase sounds like a bit of a wanker, just in general. From reading about Chevy, it sounds like he's as racist and sexist as Pierce Hawthorne.

I like to think they didn't even need to script him.

On 2017-6-20 at 11:58 AM, AVB said:

any one else secretly love RuPauls Drag Race? 

yeah, nah.. me either  :popcorn:

I LOVE IT!! I'm just starting S6 and catching up on the latest episode of the current season. I hated S2 because the queens were haggered compared to S1 but so glad I skipped and went to S3 :) everyone hates the S2 winner so I think I made the right choice. 

I've only watched Community once but it is epic. It starts out like just another sitcom but once you watch a few you realise it's really really smart as well and so well written. It does things no other sitcom would dare do. Entire episodes about paintball fights and claymation episodes. I have a Troy & Abed in the morning coffee mug. My favourite moment is when  Abed & Jeff do the dance from the Breakfast Club. 

I'm just coming up to the end of series 5 of Orange Is The New Black. Fuck me this is a good series. The last two were pretty shit, this one is a crazy return to form. Really fucking dark. This is the darkest timeline. 

Edited by Lemonade

On 6/23/2017 at 11:48 AM, Soda Jerk said:

I don't know much about Dan Harmon, but Chevy Chase sounds like a bit of a wanker, just in general. From reading about Chevy, it sounds like he's as racist and sexist as Pierce Hawthorne.

I like to think they didn't even need to script him.

Basically Chevy didn't like how Pierce was written. And it shows. Mostly Pierce is an old racist but with a heart of gold. Slowly but surely we saw more racist/sexists moments than heart of gold moments. And while all the characters were 3 dimensional, Chevy felt his character was losing his 3rd and most redeeming dimension. Dan Harmon (going by Harmontown) was/is a severe alcoholic. And for all his smart ideas, I feel like a day on set would have been pretty close to the Dean directing the commercial. They had always butted heads. They never really liked each other. Chevy felt the work days were too long (to be fair, he was the oldest of the main cast, by a fair gap too) and to top it all off he began to dislike his character and resent Dan's writing. Dan and chevy not getting on (as well as Dan butting heads with studio execs all the time) lead to Dan's firing. Dan would even leave drunken voicemails on Chevy's phone and during a live podcast played one of Chevy's replies to get a laugh from the crowd. Pretty shit way to treat someone, especially if he's part of the main ensemble of your most successful shows.
One day during a take Chevy fucked up a line and shouted the N-word in frustration. One could see his side of it, he was so annoyed he blurted out the worst word he could. But when 2/7 of the main cast are black, it wasn't in any way appropriate. So he was sacked. Chevy did come back when Harmon came back for the hologram sequence in Season 5 Episode 1, meaning the must have at least partly squashed their beef and by all accounts, although they're not bosom buddies, they're definitely not enemies anymore.

Harmontown is a great watch. But besides all the little talking heads about what a visionary he is, you get to see the real Dan Harmon. Not some Kubrick/Lynch style genius, but an aggressive, abusive drunk who is an absolute horror to work with. I mean Sarah Silverman quit one of his earlier shows because of how hard he is to work with. For all of Chevy's faults (and there's a few) I firmly believe the whole falling out was mainly Dan's fault. And although Season 4 was shit, if one had to go between Dan and Chevy, I'd say Dan was the one who deserved the sack. Until, y'know, chevy blurted out a racist slur during a blooper. 

Saw the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale. I liked it, but waiting on the mrs to finish to book so we can binge it together. 

So instead I've been rewatched Mad Men. Forgot just how great this program was. I stopped watching after Season 5 for one reason or the other and couldn't get back in to it. Genuinely forgot quite a lot that's happened so it's been great to almost see it for the first time again.

And since we're talking Community/Mad Men - GLOW. It's fantastic. Really slow starting, but by about episode 3/4 it picks up. Marc Maron really is the stand out for me in this though. he's great in it. his deadpan is hilarious. the ensemble are pretty great too. The leads are the worst part, but they grow on you the more you watch. Although I feel like Alison Brie get's shit roles. I feel like she's a great actress, but her roles can be super annoying. I've only seen her as Annie Edison, Trudy Campbell and Ruth from GLOW. Annie is the best character. Trudy comes across as a spoiled rich girl and makes you almost feel bad for the absolute prick that is Pete. And Ruth is cringey. And not in a Michael Scott sort of funny cringe. Just in a... urgh... I actually started playing guitar to split my focus while watching Glow because she's so cringey at times. But I didn't want to give up on it. But I think that's more to do with the character than Alison's acting. The "try to hard but failing actor" part is always cringey.

Also, Kate Nash is surprisingly good at acting. 

I heard Dan Harmon once made the entire cast and crew chant "Fuck You Chevy" at Chevy Chase too while his wife and kids were there. I'd have probably been annoyed about that too. Dan Harmon seems like kind of a dick. 

Must admit although I love Chevy Chase I never cared much for Pearse as a character. 

3 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

Chevy fucked up a line and shouted the N-word in frustration. ...., he was so annoyed he blurted out the worst word he could. But when 2/7 of the main cast are black, it wasn't in any way appropriate. 

It wouldn't be in any way appropriate regardless of the racial make-up of the cast.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

It wouldn't be in any way appropriate regardless of the racial make-up of the cast.

I think this is a discussion that merits it's own thread. What comedian's can and can't say. Although people don't like it, there's a lot to be said about "shock" comedy. The "its funny because you can't say that but he did" aspect. Sometimes it's done incredibly well (Louis CK has a whole bit about how he used the N word but not in a racial way when a white barista made him a coffee and he thought "N***a made the shit out of this coffee!") and some do it and crash and fail (Kramer for example). I'm always unsure, as it's a tough topic (especially for me, a white person) to try and find the perfect place. But I always say art should never be censored. And I agree with a lot of comedians that comedians and comedy actors do and should get more leeway than say Joe Bloggs on the street. I wasn't there, but to me it sounds like he said the most offensive language he could which shows how frustrated he was. It's using bad/offensive language almost as a metaphor. But, like I said, the time and place was inappropriate. Not just because of the other cast members, but that's definitely adds to the inappropriateness of it. 

5 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

I think this is a discussion that merits it's own thread. What comedian's can and can't say. Although people don't like it, there's a lot to be said about "shock" comedy. The "its funny because you can't say that but he did" aspect. Sometimes it's done incredibly well (Louis CK has a whole bit about how he used the N word but not in a racial way when a white barista made him a coffee and he thought "N***a made the shit out of this coffee!") and some do it and crash and fail (Kramer for example). I'm always unsure, as it's a tough topic (especially for me, a white person) to try and find the perfect place. But I always say art should never be censored. And I agree with a lot of comedians that comedians and comedy actors do and should get more leeway than say Joe Bloggs on the street. I wasn't there, but to me it sounds like he said the most offensive language he could which shows how frustrated he was. It's using bad/offensive language almost as a metaphor. But, like I said, the time and place was inappropriate. Not just because of the other cast members, but that's definitely adds to the inappropriateness of it. 

Not "can and can't". What is and isn't appropriate. Chevy was at work. It's not a "free speech" issue is a racial abuse in the workplace issue. And even when it comes to artistic boundaries, it's still all about what the audience will and will not accept and listen to, rather than what he comedian CAN'T say. You can say anything you want, but if you say that you think Ian Watkins is a hero for what he did to kids then you just won't have much of an audience.

xx

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

Not "can and can't". What is and isn't appropriate. Chevy was at work. It's not a "free speech" issue is a racial abuse in the workplace issue. And even when it comes to artistic boundaries, it's still all about what the audience will and will not accept and listen to, rather than what he comedian CAN'T say. You can say anything you want, but if you say that you think Ian Watkins is a hero for what he did to kids then you just won't have much of an audience.

xx

Yeah you're right. What is and isn't appropriate. But what you're saying here is kind of the opposite of what ca_gere is saying.

21 hours ago, ca_gere said:

I mean, it's a very thin line. Pierce has alluded to that word on more than one occasion. I'm not saying Chevy is any kind of method actor. But he's there to be the outrageous and offensive one. All I'm saying is it could have just been a man, who's paid to be outrageous, doing the most outrageous thing he could. And it fell flat. Or, perhaps he wasn't trying to be funny and is actually an old racist who let his true colours show.

Either way I agree he should have been reprimanded for his behaviour, definitely. All I was saying is that that could have been his intentions. Not that they were, and not that I agree with them:

On 6/30/2017 at 1:13 PM, Jaaakkkeee said:

One day during a take Chevy fucked up a line and shouted the N-word in frustration. One could see his side of it, he was so annoyed he blurted out the worst word he could.

I get what you're saying and I don't think you're an apologist for him or anything like that - but while I could theoretically see a number of different scenarios/reasons why he'd shout that instead of saying "ah fuck", NONE of those scenarios are excusable under any circumstances. I mean, it's not like he was acting in Django where that was every second line of dialogue.

What's interesting to me about it is that when I shout something in frustration, it's usually fairly instinctual. Sometimes it'll be fuck, sometimes shite or pish. If I want to shout something "quirky" or off-kilter, it takes a second's thought to decide to shout "cockwomble" or something equally loathsome. So if he shouted a racial slur in frustration, it's either because it was just under the surface waiting to be said or because he stopped and thought "hmmm, think I'll play the N-card here!" and either way, what a cunt.

And after that, asking the rest of the cast, especially the non-white actors and double-especially Yvette Brown and Donald Glover, to continue working with him so closely would be a pretty bad move from a director. A schism in the cast like that would be way worse for the show than losing a key cast member.

xx

• Upvote 2

There was an Overwatch pro player who got sacked from his team and banned for a similar (but objectively worse) outburst. The guy basically accepted his lumps but tried to make excuses about how he just wanted to say the nastiest thing he could - "I was extremely upset and I was trying to make the person I was angry with upset as well". Now, in a twisted kinda way, that makes sense. A conscious effort to say something you KNOW will upset and anger someone - you deliberately choose the "worst" word you can think of. But I very much doubt that's what Chevy was trying to pull.

(Video below doesn't show the guy screaming the n-word btw, just talks about the incident and shows the context, apology etc.)

xx

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a few things on the go at the moment. My wife won't "binge watch", won't even watch two episodes in a row, so we have to have a few things we can alternate  between. With her I'm watching GLOW, Rick & Morty, Arrested Development and Star Trek: The Next Generation. On my own I'm watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and Star Trek: Deep Space 9.