aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

• 2 weeks later...

The Simpsons.

Started from season 20. Figured i'd pretty much seen every episode give or take up to then. I'd say it's pretty strong at this point. A little bit more esoteric than the early seasons but still lots of clever lines and fairly strong episode plots. 

I started watching The League but couldn't make it past episode 6. It was pretty funny up until that point but this episode was so crass and (for want of a better word, because I wasn't really offended, more shocked these decent actors/writers would consider it comedy) offensive. The plot basically revolves around 5 guys taking the piss out of a woman for a whole 20-30 minutes. Seemingly for no other reason than her name is kinda funny. There's no other joke in there. You're meant to laugh at 5 guys bullying a girl behind her back and sometimes to her face. Would be interested if anyone else has seen it and there's some inside joke I missed or whether it really was a lame as I thought it was.

Edited by ca_gere

11 hours ago, ca_gere said:

The Simpsons.

Started from season 20. Figured i'd pretty much seen every episode give or take up to then. I'd say it's pretty strong at this point. A little bit more esoteric than the early seasons but still lots of clever lines and fairly strong episode plots. 

I started watching The League but couldn't make it past episode 6. It was pretty funny up until that point but this episode was so crass and (for want of a better word, because I wasn't really offended, more shocked these decent actors/writers would consider it comedy) offensive. The plot basically revolves around 5 guys taking the piss out of a woman for a whole 20-30 minutes. Seemingly for no other reason than her name is kinda funny. There's no other joke in there. You're meant to laugh at 5 guys bullying a girl behind her back and sometimes to her face. Would be interested if anyone else has seen it and there's some inside joke I missed or whether it really was a lame as I thought it was.

I watched The League all the way through (background noise more than actually WATCHING it) and it never gets any better.

xx

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH said:

Blasted through "The People V O.J. Simpson" in less than a week. It was excellent and I recommend it to anyone that enjoys in depth crime dramas.

It's brilliant. I watched it treating it thinking it would turn out as trash tv but it is really well done.

On 2/27/2017 at 11:17 AM, TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH said:

Blasted through "The People V O.J. Simpson" in less than a week. It was excellent and I recommend it to anyone that enjoys in depth crime dramas.

We watched it in 2 days. Loved it. 

On 2/27/2017 at 5:28 PM, Stroopy121 said:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season 4. Still fucking awesome. I actually binge-re-watched seasons 1-3 in the run up to watching 4 because this show is THAT fucking good!

Xx

That cliffhanger is something else. On again a couple of months though.

New Sunny has been great. Much more consistent than last season. Old Lady House was the only low point.

TP V OJ is ace. Highly recommend the ESPN documentary series that came out shortly after. You get so much more out of it having watched the series. It touches on a lot of the greater society stuff (racist cops, riots, etc) and a fair amount of the sport hero aspect that the drama kind of takes as read.

Just started The Kettering Incident which is pretty good. Set in Austrialia, pretty weird, possible aliens and the like. Has the blonde actor from The Night Manager as the main star, she is really good in it.

Catastrophe continues to be pretty god damn funny. Don't know how/if they will fit in Carrie Fishers death.

No Offense - mid way through the first season of this cop drama/comedy set in Manchester, good mid week watching.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Twin Peaks: The Return has been great TV. Thank god Lynch put his foot down and demanded 18 hours. The original 9 hours he was offered wouldn't be enough. We made home-made cherry pie and brewed some Death Wish Inc coffee and stayed up to watch the first two episodes at 2am. Well worth it. Episodes 3&4 were also amazing. (HELLOOOOOOOO) Can't wait for this week's episodes.

It was only after reading about Wally Brando Brennan that I got the joke. I didn't understand why a good 10 minutes were devoted to Michael Cera, then I got it. And I laughed retrospectively. Also, the scene between Denise and Cole was fantastic. I almost cheered when he said "fix their hearts or die".

Edited by Jaaakkkeee
  • Upvote 1

On 2017-6-3 at 9:17 AM, Scubby said:

Anyone watching American Gods? It's a bit different - Gillian Anderson is in it and she's brilliant. To be fair, all the actors and characters are great. 

I watched the first 2 episodes last night... its awesome but what the fuck is going on?!?!

2 hours ago, AVB said:

I watched the first 2 episodes last night... its awesome but what the fuck is going on?!?!

I think they make it a clearer in episode 3 or 4 - they straight out say what is happening and who is who, whereas in the book (soz) it isn't as explicit. 

• Upvote 1

American Gods is on my list. Anything with Gillian Anderson in it is worth watching these days.

2 TV-related things:

1) I've been watching the Simpsons off and on recently. Gotten up to about season 23. Came across this video the other day that really annoyed me:

There's no question the early episodes were a lot more clever and original but to get so dramatic about it and suggest that there's nothing good after season 8 is a little much. The Lady Gaga episode aside (which was one of the worst episodes of any TV show ever), almost every episode still has a whole bunch of really well-written jokes/lines. Far more than most other TV shows anyway. I understand there's only so many storylines you can have the SImpsons play out but to suggest the writers ran out of ideas at that Skinner episode is just dumb. It's not like every single episode prior was ground-breaking. Yes, it's not as good as it was but it's still pretty good.

2) Also been watching Trailer Park Boys. I watched it years ago but not since the Netflix takeover. Up to season 10 now. On the whole I've really enjoyed it but... HOLY SHIT the Snoop Dogg/Doug Benson episodes! Possibly the biggest shark jump i've ever seen. There's no effort to even bother writing them into the show, they literally just turn up out of nowhere. Got to be one of the laziest bits of writing imaginable.

14 hours ago, ca_gere said:

2) Also been watching Trailer Park Boys. I watched it years ago but not since the Netflix takeover. Up to season 10 now. On the whole I've really enjoyed it but... HOLY SHIT the Snoop Dogg/Doug Benson episodes! Possibly the biggest shark jump i've ever seen. There's no effort to even bother writing them into the show, they literally just turn up out of nowhere. Got to be one of the laziest bits of writing imaginable.

Although it's definitely a shark jumping moment, I think how they turn up is pretty inkeeping with the show. I mean they do a podcast and do tours. They are "famous" because of the "documentary". They've been on snoop's podcast while in character. So They're gonna have fans. It doesn't mean the storyline was any good. But it did make sense.

18 minutes ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

Although it's definitely a shark jumping moment, I think how they turn up is pretty inkeeping with the show. I mean they do a podcast and do tours. They are "famous" because of the "documentary". They've been on snoop's podcast while in character. So They're gonna have fans. It doesn't mean the storyline was any good. But it did make sense.

The fame part isn't mentioned at all in the show until that moment. One minute they're talking about making Sunnyvale a all-you-can-smoke resort, the next Bubbles is on jimmy kimmel then Snoop and co show up. I'd understand if they mentioned the documentary more than a couple of times the entire 10 seasons up until that point but that episode is the first time they go full meta (Drew Carrey going on about the 'doc'). 

Still funny. Just weird how they did It