aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

I've been re-watching Arrested Development for the last couple of weeks. Still totally solid. What a So Solid Crew. I think I love GOB more than I love some members of my extended family. I also watched the fourth series for the first time since 2013. We woke up early on the day it was released and watched the entire thing in one sitting. Initially, I didn't want to admit that I didn't really enjoy it because I'd invested so much time in it, but I remember being pretty disappointed. Over the last few years, I think I've built up how much I disliked it in my head, but have always wondered if it was due to binge-watching it/constantly being on the look-out for background gags or things to look out for in other episodes and subsequently missing another billion jokes. It was better this time, with breaks between episodes and it probably benefited from me having gone straight into it after re-watching the previous serieseseses as all of the running jokes and weird phrases were still fresh in my mind.

GOB's breakdown to Ann is a beautiful moment.

Edited by kirsten

10 hours ago, kirsten said:

I've been re-watching Arrested Development for the last couple of weeks. Still totally solid. What a So Solid Crew. I think I love GOB more than I love some members of my extended family. I also watched the fourth series for the first time since 2013. We woke up early on the day it was released and watched the entire thing in one sitting. Initially, I didn't want to admit that I didn't really enjoy it because I'd invested so much time in it, but I remember being pretty disappointed. Over the last few years, I think I've built up how much I disliked it in my head, but have always wondered if it was due to binge-watching it/constantly being on the look-out for background gags or things to look out for in other episodes and subsequently missing another billion jokes. It was better this time, with breaks between episodes and it probably benefited from me having gone straight into it after re-watching the previous serieseseses as all of the running jokes and weird phrases were still fresh in my mind.

GOB's breakdown to Ann is a beautiful moment.

That's the one part I don't like out of the fourth season. It just felt forced at the time, and during a recent re-watch, still felt forced, while a lot of the other jokes that i didn't "get" first time around gave me a lol.

1 hour ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

That's the one part I don't like out of the fourth season. It just felt forced at the time, and during a recent re-watch, still felt forced, while a lot of the other jokes that i didn't "get" first time around gave me a lol.

I enjoyed that it highlighted GOB's ability to go from self-assured to completely broken in a second to the extreme. Also just a wonderful bit of Business from Will Arnett. The stuff that felt more forced to me was Tobias' misunderstandings of situations and his turn of phrase getting more ridiculous than previously.  

18 hours ago, kirsten said:

I enjoyed that it highlighted GOB's ability to go from self-assured to completely broken in a second to the extreme. Also just a wonderful bit of Business from Will Arnett. The stuff that felt more forced to me was Tobias' misunderstandings of situations and his turn of phrase getting more ridiculous than previously.  

Oh it definitely did that, but I felt like it went on way too long, past funny, in to cringe, past cringe into "just stop", past "just stop" into "didn't GOB used to be funny?"

I think Tobias getting more ridiculous is a symptom of the episodes revolving round one character at a time. First time I watched it I was like "wow Michael is a douchebag, he wasn't this douchey in the original" then you rewatch the original and you're like "oh, wait, Michael is a douche."

I think a lot of the characters flaws/traits are magnified to the ridiculous extreme when the entire half hour is focused on them and, for the most part, them alone.

I watched that Hip Hop Evolution 4-part series on Netflix. It was pretty good, but the time spent on certain subjects and artists seemed a bit rushed. I think if they got the right people involved a bit more, they could have filled it with at least 8 parts, because there's so much to talk about. They spent a great deal of time talking about disco music in the first episode. Then by the 3rd episode, Public Enemy gets about 3 minutes of screen time, and the Beastie Boys get a fleeting mention, then that's it. NY done. Over to the West Coast.

There's still some cool stuff I didn't know about though. It was interesting to learn how vehemently against the Aerosmith cover Run DMC were. I bet they're still raking in those royalties from that one track. Also interesting to learn that the original track had been used to rap over for many years before Run DMC did the cover.

I also liked how Kool Moe Dee wouldn't do the interview unless Shad brought him a chocolate cake with his face on it.

Decent, but rushed, and missing an enormous amount of detail I thought.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, TR!ΔNGLE TEETH said:

Has anyone else been watching The OA? I've seen six episodes so far, and I've been sucked into the story. It is ideal binge television.

I'm planning on it soon, but probably not 'til the new year. Netflix are nailing it TV-wise. Been bad with keeping up with TV this year but am trying to cram it all in at the last hurdle.

I only got five episodes through Better Call Saul series 2 and then moved to Poland only to find that Polish Netflix only have rights to the first series. I thought it was a Netfix original? So I recently started watching House of Cards again and am finally caught up. Such magnificent bastards. I'm glad that Claire has got even better. She is the best character of all time.

I tried filling the Underwoods-shaped hole with Narcos (TV show, not drugs) and it's good but I wasn't too desperate to keep watching so have left it at four episodes, with the intention of going back at some point. Instead, six years too late, I began watching Boardwalk Empire. It's so great. Immediately engaging, I blitzed through the first series in a weekend. It has also led to several important discussions among my friends about the possibility of finding Steve Buscemi attractive and has revealed that I'll basically fancy anyone if they are charming or funny. And a famous actor.

Edited by kirsten

Watched the first episode of The OA last night. It was good but far too mysterious. I can just tell I'm gonna get to the end of it and still not know fully what the fuck is going on. It was put together really well though.

Finally jumped on the Westworld wagon too. About halfway through and loving it. Anyone who says it's boring and slow is, frankly, an idiot.

23 hours ago, kirsten said:

I only got five episodes through Better Call Saul series 2 and then moved to Poland only to find that Polish Netflix only have rights to the first series. I thought it was a Netfix original?

It's still an AMC show, shown on AMC in Poland. Netflix have like an agreement to be the broadcasters in the UK. That's why it isn't all dumped in one day, like Netflix Originals. You still have to watch it week by week, the day after it aires on AMC. Similar to what happened with Breaking Bad season 5. I had my ps3 set up to watch Polish netflix and couldn't find season 5 anywhere on netflix and began to freak out as I was sure it was on Netflix for UK, then I reverted back to UK Netflix and saw it on the front page with "New Episodes Weekly." So as it is aired on AMC, and I think AMC has their own catch-up service, BCS isn't on Netflix over the pond as soon as it is here. Same with Always Sunny and Archer. They're on Netflix here as soon as the newest season finishes, where as the Polish have to wait a year.

I'm still waiting for Netflix to bite the bullet and buy Community Season 6 from Yahoo, as Sony Entertainment Television is a shite channel with no catch-up and watching Yahoo was a mess. It's available on the Playstation Store but I already have netflix, and if I wanted to pay extra for it I'd get it on DVD.

On 9/26/2016 at 10:21 AM, Jaaakkkeee said:

Twin Peak is a tough one. I like the wacky cooky stuff with the agent. But the rest is boring. Got Soap Opera levels of shit going on, some wifey moaning about not having silent runners, then a dream where the subtitles were in fucking spanish online. Is it cause it's David Lynch? Is that why everyone bums this program? 'cause at 45 mins a pop, i'd say only about 20 were decent. rest is pure unadulterated crap. over-acting is almost unbearable. I'll watch episode 3. But I think fans of this program might have a case of the kubricks. 

On 9/26/2016 at 5:59 PM, Jaaakkkeee said:

episodes 3 and 4 picked things up a bit. I read up a bit on it, and I see what ca_gere was saying now. Feel more invested. I saw there was a film that acted as both a prologue and epilogue. So, aye, it did get better. my mrs isn't impressed though and went to do housework. if she doesn't watch them it'll mean watching the rest of them at odd times.

I got "The Entire Mystery" boxset on Blu-ray for christmas, and I'm enjoying it a lot more this time round, as is my gf. Also, because of the dvd shops i was using it turns out I skipped an entire episode (I watched Pilot, then episode 2 first time around, and missed episode 1).

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 9:17 AM, kirsten said:

I tried filling the Underwoods-shaped hole with Narcos (TV show, not drugs) and it's good but I wasn't too desperate to keep watching so have left it at four episodes, with the intention of going back at some point. Instead, six years too late, I began watching Boardwalk Empire. It's so great. Immediately engaging, I blitzed through the first series in a weekend. It has also led to several important discussions among my friends about the possibility of finding Steve Buscemi attractive and has revealed that I'll basically fancy anyone if they are charming or funny. And a famous actor.

I'm one episode from the end of Boardwalk Empire but can't bring myself to watch until I have something else lined up after it. Any suggestions? I'm preemptively heartbroken for it to end. 

Please, someone talk to me about it. c u in the spoiler tagz.

I both love and hate the fact that the show so easily kills off main characters. Always keeping you on your toes knowing that anyone but Nucky could get got at any moment.

Mickey Doyle being shot in the throat in the penultimate episode was my biggest loss so far. And Van Alden in the episode before, I guess. Both characters were fucking great. I am surprised Eli has made it this far, but I think he and Nucky will die together. Possibly in a shot mimicking the one of them as kids lying on the grass, taken from above.

WHO KNOWS?!

I was out with some people from work on Friday  night, one girl is I think 20 or 21, we were talking about TV shows we like and specifically animations and she said "I never watch the Simpsons, it's so bad, though I've heard it used to be good". THERE ARE FULLY GROWN ADULTS IN THE WORLD WHO DO NOT REMEMBER THE SIMPSONS BEING GOOD. 

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

It's hard to blame them. With each passing year, the ratio of good Simpsons to bad Simpsons is lessened. There's more chance of them catching a bad episode than a good one. Seems every time I put it on, it's a bad episode.

I almost never watch it now but it's crap 100% of the times I do. Should have stopped 15 years ago. 

I have season 1 to 15 on DVD but I still complain when the shit ones are on TV.

The old seasons are still incredible. 3-10 is gold. 11 and 12 have lots of good episodes, but it's definitely the start of the decline.

The creators are pissing on their own legacy by continuing to make it. It's just 20 minutes of "How can we somehow shoehorn in this week's celebrity guest". Awful, awful writing.

My mrs has been watching Gilmore Girls. I forgot how much I hate the titular girls. I'm a fan of Archer and Sunny, yet Rory and Lorelai are the most selfish, self-absorbed, arrogant people I've seen on tv. I woke up this morning to my gf watching a scene where Lane pages Rory, who then asks for Lorelai's cell phone to go outside.

Why not just use it in the diner? 
The owner has a no cell phone policy.
But it's funny to wind him up.

Lorelai is a cunt.

Then Rory reenters the diner, shouts across the diner at her mum, interrupting other patron's meals, about how she's away to stand across the street from Lane and shout at her, probably annoying innocent bystanders.

Rory's a cunt.

They're just the worst people who thing talking fast and drinking coffee makes them good people. Also, what kind of shite mum is Lorelai letting someone of Rory's age binge on coffee all day, then she has a cheek to question Lane's mum's parenting. What an absolute cunt. I haven't seen A Year In The Life because I know it doesn't end with them both dying and I don't want to be sorely disappointed. I remember Gilmore Girls being good T4/E4 hangover tv. On rewatch, it absolutely boils my piss. What a pair of clowns. I shouldn't be too mad at Rory though (although I will because my rage knows no bounds), she's a product of her environment, her ma though. What an absolute fucking shitebag. 

• Upvote 1