aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

Outcast - based on the Kirkman comic of the same name. Good, but not the walking dead good. it's made by cinemax, so i didn't set my standards too high. but it's alright. definitely a case of the comics being better though.

Preacher - another comic adaptation, but this time they've changed quite a lot of the plot. the story is still mainly the same (preacher gets super powers) but it has a few different directions that make it better to watch alongside reading the comics. whereas outcast is sticking to the comics pretty hard and any new stories feel like padding.

I too was a 2nd goer with Bobs Burgers. I watched a couple ages ago and it didn't stick, but 2nd time around it was pretty instant. The Topsy episode might just be the best episode of anything, ever. It's just ridiculously good.

Love Mr Ambrose.

135fe599b0c94a1d945475fe2455c1e3.jpg

Who I recently found out is Billy Eichner, so no wonder he's great.

Watching Last Chance U on Netflix at the moment - a  documentary about East Mississippi Junior College's (American) football team where a lot of Division 1 dropouts end up. It's interesting stuff and a good watch, if depressing looking at adults whose education level is absolutely rock bottom and who have an 'academic advisor' is essentially employed to follow them about, making sure they go to class, have a pencil and a notebook, complete any assignments, so that they maintain their academic eligibility to be able to play football. It's a pretty good portrait of what happens to talented sportsmen in the US who are allowed to get away with anything because of their talent, when their behaviour catches up with them.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Spoonie said:

Watching Last Chance U on Netflix at the moment - a  documentary about East Mississippi Junior College's (American) football team where a lot of Division 1 dropouts end up. It's interesting stuff and a good watch, if depressing looking at adults whose education level is absolutely rock bottom and who have an 'academic advisor' is essentially employed to follow them about, making sure they go to class, have a pencil and a notebook, complete any assignments, so that they maintain their academic eligibility to be able to play football. It's a pretty good portrait of what happens to talented sportsmen in the US who are allowed to get away with anything because of their talent, when their behaviour catches up with them.

Mi'wagnah is amazing. Other than her, it's a pretty depressing watch. These kids grow up getting told they're the best, romp their way through high school dominating their peers, all the while not giving a fuck about school and not really needing to, then reality hits. Once done with football, the boosters, alumni, coaches, etc don't give a fuck about them and like a horse with a gammy leg, they get put out to pasture with no skills or plan b. This isn't even exclusive to these last chance ju-cos, it's the same story at college and NFL level. Sad state of affairs.

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2016 at 1:24 AM, ca_gere said:

Bloodline - STILL one of the best shows knocking about right now. If you haven't gotten involved, get on it. Second season takes off right where the first leaves. Coach Taylor is awesome in it.

We watched this on this recommendation. It's pretty good. Well shot, well written. Quite slow in places, but I think that all sort of adds to the feel.

Some hugely annoying characters/portrayals, particularly slanty Marco and his awful posture.

I think I would think this show was brilliant if it was a one-a-week job, but because we've blasted two seasons in a few weeks it's probably not felt as good.

6 hours ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

We watched this on this recommendation. It's pretty good. Well shot, well written. Quite slow in places, but I think that all sort of adds to the feel.

Some hugely annoying characters/portrayals, particularly slanty Marco and his awful posture.

I think I would think this show was brilliant if it was a one-a-week job, but because we've blasted two seasons in a few weeks it's probably not felt as good.

i get what you're saying r.e. if it was episodic, rather than binge. Some of the episodes are just so heavy. We spread them out quite nicely and it never felt like a slog. I still think its one of best shows out there in terms of writing and acting - it's rare that a show treats death and murder like real people would.

watching this made me think i'd move to the keys in a heartbeat, until i remembered about all the republicans and high flood insurance. looks like a beautiful place though.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:39 PM, ca_gere said:

Mi'wagnah is amazing. Other than her, it's a pretty depressing watch. These kids grow up getting told they're the best, romp their way through high school dominating their peers, all the while not giving a fuck about school and not really needing to, then reality hits. Once done with football, the boosters, alumni, coaches, etc don't give a fuck about them and like a horse with a gammy leg, they get put out to pasture with no skills or plan b. This isn't even exclusive to these last chance ju-cos, it's the same story at college and NFL level. Sad state of affairs.

It really is. The football and the intensity of the game and training is excellent, but these kids are totally hopeless. When you turn up to a class without a pencil or notebook, what chance have you got of being able to hold onto anything but the most basic of jobs?

• 1 month later...

I gave The Detectorists a go on Netflix. Written, directed and starring the lad who plays Gareth in The Office, about metal detectorists out in the countryside. It's a little slow to get going but it's good. Low-key black comedy. Well written, good characters. It's British, so there's only about 6 episodes. You can have it in an afternoon.

I'd never heard of it, but it's won awards and stuff. Was it on telly originally?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

I gave The Detectorists a go on Netflix. Written, directed and starring the lad who plays Gareth in The Office, about metal detectorists out in the countryside. It's a little slow to get going but it's good. Low-key black comedy. Well written, good characters. It's British, so there's only about 6 episodes. You can have it in an afternoon.

I'd never heard of it, but it's won awards and stuff. Was it on telly originally?

I'd never heard of it before but found it on a plane entertainment system and loved it. Toby Jones is ace.

Loved Narcos. Apparently Escobar's son isn't too happy about the portrayal of his mum or his grandma though.

Recently caught up with Fear The Walking Dead. I anticipated it being a slow-burner. Tried it once before but didn't think too much of the first episode. TWD had the handy plot device of Rick being in a coma, so when the show starts, there's already zombies. FTWD starts at the start of the endemic. So there isn't loads and loads of zombie hoards. It's... alright. But christ, Chris and Madison are so shite and annoying, it's strange they don't get on better.

• Upvote 1

Started Twin Peaks. First episode was hoorin lang tho. An hour and a half? Plus it's not on netflix anymore and it's hard to find decent versions of it in dvd shops. Should I stick with it? Everyone bangs on about it. Seemed alright. Just hoorin lang. Was looking at my phone most of the way through and couldn't be arsed watching the second episode last night.

59 minutes ago, Stroopy121 said:

This on Netflix? Sounds right up my street, Eichner is awesome!

xx

Unfortunately not. It's on "Hulu", whatever the hell that is. I downloaded it, illegitimately. Easy to find both seasons on the torrent site with Pirate in the name. I'd recommend it. 

I'd never seen Klausner in anything before, but she is awesome. Almost identical to Eichner's style of comedy. Which makes sense, as I then learned she is the creator and lead writer for Billy on the Street.

Just about to start season 2. Great TV. Best new sitcom I've seen in a long while. This and Master Of None are the best around right now.

Spent today watching the whole of season 2 of the US Office. Haven't watched it in ages. Incredibly consistent. Every episode is so good. 

Twin Peak is a tough one. I like the wacky cooky stuff with the agent. But the rest is boring. Got Soap Opera levels of shit going on, some wifey moaning about not having silent runners, then a dream where the subtitles were in fucking spanish online. Is it cause it's David Lynch? Is that why everyone bums this program? 'cause at 45 mins a pop, i'd say only about 20 were decent. rest is pure unadulterated crap. over-acting is almost unbearable. I'll watch episode 3. But I think fans of this program might have a case of the kubricks.