aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

3 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Fargo season 1 and 2 are both excellent. I think I might prefer the second one too. I can't wait for the finale.

I think the references to the film (and many other Coen Bros films) are far too strong for it ever to work or get away with being something wholly separate. I think the way in which it's been done is brilliant and I wonder if it might inspire some other movie inspired shows.

Does anyone watch The Leftovers? I got through the two seasons quite quickly in the last couple of weeks. I'd only rate it as decent, worth a watch but it seems like there are many people (online at least) who think the second season has turned it into the best show on tv.

I really hope we don't go down the road of constant film > tv series

Again, Fargo is great. The recapturing of the spirit of the film works really well - but it will quickly get boring if we start seeing things like 'Napoleon Dynamite tv series', etc. I much prefer fims/tv shows/whatever to be unique pieces of work. I've moaned about it on here before loads - I can't stand the fact we value re-purposed content so highly these days. Comic book movies, sequels, now movie-to-tv semi-remakes.

While I agree it would be tiresome if it started happening all the time, the point is that Fargo is not re-purposed content like those comic book movies It's something new and different. I guess I actually don't really care where the inspiration comes from as long as it's good and in my opinion Fargo is easily the best tv show on at the moment. I also think it is sometimes overstated how much of a modern issue this is. How many old Dracula films are there? How many robin hood films? I won't argue it doesn't happen more now but I see it as a natural increase over time rather than something which has started out of nowhere in the last 20 years.

Alkaline, The Leftovers has just been renewed for a third and final season. 

• Upvote 1

It definitely happened in the past, just nowhere near the level it does now. There have always been 'studio' films (Dracula and Robin Hood being good examples), but the balance between those and 'original' films was a lot more even. This was back when there was no such thing as 'independent' films too.

There was a conscious shift by Hollywood in the early 80s towards heavily controlled content, driven by studio execs with market research rather than directors with a 'vision'. Heavens Gate - if you're interested - was the tipping point. The guy who did deerhunter spent shitloads of money on a film that bombed and almost put United artists out of business. There was a brief resurgence in the early 90s after Tarantino (which to me was our generation's heyday) but in general we're still in that mode.

That's not to say the content/directors aren't out there. im not a fan of Kevin smith but I'd much rather he get the 100s of millions that go into yet another spiderman movie to go and make one of his films.

the movie-to-tv series thing I can just see following this trend is all.

I recently started watching Wayward Pines. It's very mysterious, sort of sci-fi, Matt Dillon plays an FBI agent who is in a car crash and wakes up in this creepy little town in rural Idaho. He discovers he can't physically leave the town (when he tries to drive out one side he find himself driving back in the other side) and he can't communicate with anyone outside the town, and everyone is being monitored at all times by some mysterious force. Also there are other people in the town who arrived in similar circumstances and got stuck there for years and have to keep up this Stepford Wives facade about their idyllic lives and they aren't allowed to talk about life before the town. It's like Twin Peaks meets The Truman Show meets Lost. M. Night Shyamalan had some hand in making it. It's pretty good so far. Also Juliette Lewis is in it and I like her.

Just started F is for Family. Netflix original animated show. Only 6 episodes so far, but I hope there's more to come.

Bill Burr is the lead. Like Bill Burr? Then you already like this show. Bill Burr shouts and swears and depicts 1970's American life. The animation is a little bland, but it's a well written show. Lots of laughs.

On 12/19/2015 at 10:15 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Just started F is for Family. Netflix original animated show. Only 6 episodes so far, but I hope there's more to come.

Bill Burr is the lead. Like Bill Burr? Then you already like this show. Bill Burr shouts and swears and depicts 1970's American life. The animation is a little bland, but it's a well written show. Lots of laughs.

I got halfway through the episode and got bored. Not because of the jokes, and I know it was meant to be a parody, but the storyline. Seen it on almost every animated sitcom and couldn't sit through it.

As I write this i realise I can't even remember what the storyline was. Just that I was really annoyed it was being used again.

On 12/19/2015 at 10:15 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

2 minutes ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

I got halfway through the episode and got bored. Not because of the jokes, and I know it was meant to be a parody, but the storyline. Seen it on almost every animated sitcom and couldn't sit through it.

As I write this i realise I can't even remember what the storyline was. Just that I was really annoyed it was being used again.

Just googled it. Something him and his friends always do at his house is moved to someone elses because the other person has a better tv. yawn.

On 12/23/2015 at 7:44 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Fair enough. Not particularly bothered about the actual plot myself. Nuclear family sitcoms are nearly always based on mundane plots. The jokes make it worthwhile. Burr seems to have a significant hand in the writing, and it shows. He's good at shouting.

I'll give it another bash. I'm the guy that bailed on Sunny midway through season 2 and now it's my favourite tv programme. Probably just the mood I was in, bored. I wanted to be challenged more than made to laugh. I'll write Billy-B an apology.

Speaking of made to laugh, started season 3 of Brooklyn 99. It's getting sillier but I'm enjoying it. 

I'm now on the "Jessica Jones is the best thing EVAR" bandwagon. Loved that shit. And having finished it, the wife and I have binge-watched 3.5 seasons of Once Upon a Time. It's predictable hogwash that drags seasons out twice as long as they need to be by having characters make fucktard decisions, but I'm digging it. Robert Carlyle is fucking killing it.

xx

1 minute ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Started watching Nurse Jackie with that women from Sopranos. The writing has a nack for making every character with lines a totally reprehensible shithouse. Perhaps that is the message - Everyone is a cunt. Easy watching, a good few laughs. Not bad.

I fucking LOVE Nurse Jackie. It's so underrated! I've just seen that the seventh series is finally on Netflix, so I'll watch that when I'm done with Making A Murderer (can't watch more than one episode at a time because it's so rage-inducing). 

Did anybody watch Deutschland '83 on actual television on Sunday? I forgot about it but it looks good. 

17 hours ago, kirsten said:

I fucking LOVE Nurse Jackie. It's so underrated!

It just keeps getting better. It was just easy viewing at first. Now I'm hooked in the middle of season 3.

Jackie has a real Walter White thing about her. I want it to work out for her, but STOP BEING A SHIT.

Zoey and Thor are amazing. Gloria is a stonecold badass. Great show. All the characters are great, but it does have the most well written and acted female characters of any show I've seen in a long time.

On 12/23/2015 at 7:44 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Fair enough. Not particularly bothered about the actual plot myself. Nuclear family sitcoms are nearly always based on mundane plots. The jokes make it worthwhile. Burr seems to have a significant hand in the writing, and it shows. He's good at shouting.

went back and steadily watched the whole season. Fantastic. It was the mood I was in. I forgot my other half hadn't watched it so she didn't see the funny side when i threatened to put her right through that fucking wall. lol. 

On 1/16/2016 at 4:14 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

I definitely liked it lot more the 2nd time through too. I think it's all because of Burr though. I don't think I would give it as much attention if it wasn't for him.

Still not a patch on Bob's Burgers though. I am all about Bob's Burgers right now.

Bob's Burgers is fucking excellent! I might try some of F is for Family again, but it just felt like some mid-points from Burr's standup shoehorned into a cartoon for no real reason. If Bill Burr did a stand-up routine where he just talked about the events of that show happening to him when he was a nipper, it'd have been a thousand times funnier.

xx

I put off watching Bob's Burgers for too long, and I'm not sure why. It was an instant hit. Tina is the best.

So many great recurring guest stars too. Aziz Ansari, Bill Hader and Gary Cole especially are all great. Best animated show on TV right now by a distance.

I agree with the last bit. A Burr special would always be better. US comedy has a knack for the first season being hit or miss. Hopefully it will get better and branch out a bit.

Edited by Soda van Jerk