aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

A pretty pish year for TV, Misfits, Peep Show delivered, even a middling series of South Park beats most things into a pulp, and that 'Community' on Viva is decent what I've caught of it. Also BBC4 Friday music evenings have been good, and I've seen some nice documentaries on things. My boycott of reality TV has kept me sane, as I don't have to watch loads of divs; singing/dancing/living in a jungle/trying to get a shit job in Essex (NOT LONDON)/cooking tea for other divs/build a new house, ad nauseam, ad infinitum.

Just finished all of Mad Men. It's so brilliant. Season 4 of that was easily the best thing shown this year.

Treme was also really great and I look forward to seeing it develop, it would have been my clear no.1 if I hadn't got into Mad Men this last month.

Boardwalk Empire was mostly just alright with a ton of wasted potential.

Best of UK tv was The Apprentice which was just ace this series up until the last couple of episodes.

OK, I finally got this on BluRay box set, and finished the whole thing today. Can't help feeling slightly disappointed, but I suspect that's because I was looking for another Band of Brothers which it was never going to be. If I'd seen this one first it might have been the best thing I'd ever seen, but it's not quite up there. The story is a bit harder to get into as you don't really get to know the characters before it launches into the action and it's easy to lose track of who's who. And there's a couple of pointless romance stories that you just want to get over with and back to the fighting - the whole of episode three is pretty much a waste of time.

Having said that it does look fucking amazing, and there's plenty of 'woah, fuck me...' moments. And the amount of extra stuff on the bluray is incredible, totally in depth background stuff with historians, writers and some of the veterans themselves popping up everywhere.

Fucking amazing, just not quite as fucking amazing as I'd hoped for. 9/10

Anyone else seen it?

I got the DVDs for Christmas and have watched the first 2 episodes (really looking forward to the third episode now!). Seems a little more sentimental than BoB. I quite enjoyed them but have had to rewatch some sections so I can figure out who's who. Once the helmets are on it's hard to tell although I found that with BoB also. I find the historical background section at the start of each episode is quite important to set the scene as it is easy to lose track in the episode. I'd probably be quite happy with an hour of well shot warfare anyway.

I also got the Thick of It box set. I've never seen an episode but having loved In the Loop I'm looking forward to watching it.

My boycott of reality TV has kept me sane, as I don't have to watch loads of divs; singing/dancing/living in a jungle/trying to get a shit job in Essex (NOT LONDON)/cooking tea for other divs/build a new house, ad nauseam, ad infinitum.

I would generally agree and don't watch much TV anyway but I must admit to having got right into 'Strictly'. Mainly for the female professionals but I eventually found myself guessing what score each judge was going to give and getting involved in conversations about the contestant's personal lives with the missus. It's an easy trap to fall into what with all those sparkly things and enchanting women.

This year brought the end of Lost, which to be honest could have been a fuck ton better. I finally finished watching Twin Peaks, which was amazing. I only wish it didn't lose the magic and continued for a little bit longer. Season 7 of both Curb & Peep show delivered aswell. I seemed to be the only person that enjoyed both Burnistoun & Limmy's Show. I still need to catch up on The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire & Breaking Bad.

Stuff that didn't really do it for me - Pete vs The World, The Morgana Show, Tramadol Nights (as much as I tried to like it, its piss poor), Gary Tank Commander, Desperate Fishwives (fucking misrable), The misadventures of Todd Morgan (wtf happened to David Cross) and Whites.

I would generally agree and don't watch much TV anyway but I must admit to having got right into 'Strictly'. Mainly for the female professionals but I eventually found myself guessing what score each judge was going to give and getting involved in conversations about the contestant's personal lives with the missus. It's an easy trap to fall into what with all those sparkly things and enchanting women.

This happened to my Dad as well. He got scarily good at predicting the judges scores.

I've just finished Battlestar Galactica. I have questions for people who have watched it.

A. Is 'The Plan' worth getting?

B. Where do I go from here? What other sci-fi series would you recommend that is on par with BSG? I feel like there's a big cylon-shaped hole in my heart that needs filled.

Surely you should follow on with Caprica, which has something to do with BSG.

I've just finished Battlestar Galactica. I have questions for people who have watched it.

A. Is 'The Plan' worth getting?

B. Where do I go from here? What other sci-fi series would you recommend that is on par with BSG? I feel like there's a big cylon-shaped hole in my heart that needs filled.

I've been told the plan is OK but not great, so I haven't bothered. As someone else said, Caprica is a good shout. It's been pretty good so far and you'll be instantly familiar with the universe as it is just a BSG prequel. I would recommend Star Trek Deep Space 9, my favourite of the Trek series and certainly the most epic in terms of story arcs etc. I'm quite fond of Stargate Universe too, but it hasn't been many peoples cup of tea. I'd also say that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is worth a shot. IMO Battlestar is arguably the best thing that's been on TV in the last 10 years and far and away the best piece of sci-fi TV I've seen.

Thanks for posting that Frosty - I hadn't heard the news. For me the most heartbreaking parts of the Band of Brothers TV series were the interviews with the Easy Company veterans that bookended the episodes and the realisation that none of those guys were going to be around for a lot longer.

Winters always came off in his books and in interviews as a very humble and modest person who had lived through an extraordinary time and was grateful for surviving when so many others he fought alongside did not. I hear the words legend and hero bandied about on a daily basis but Dick Winters really fitted the bill. He was a shining example of a generation we'll sadly never see again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished season 3 of Breaking Bad. Excellent show. I don't quite rate it as one of the very best (i.e not Wire, Mad Men, Sopranos good.) but it's right up there in terms of pure entertainment. Some great acting too. Ca't wait for the next season.

I started watching Misfits yesterday and I've already got half-way through series 2. This show is so much fun. Very silly, but really funny and addictive.