aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

Anyone watching Community? Rinsed the whole first season in a day and a half. Really funny, nerdy movie references, good looking broads, what's not to like?

New season of 30 rock has started. Haven't been blown away so far. Dexter either; nothing will top Jon Lithgow so that show should just stop.

Community may well be the best sitcom to come along in the last 5 years. It's amazingly consistent too, not been many dodgy episodes so far and series 2 has started equally strong. It's just started showing on TV over here but it's been hidden away on VIVA which is a relative of MTV - channel 358 on sky - so don't be surprised if you don't hear much about it. I think it's Tuesday nights at 8 or 9. People who like funny things should watch it.

The second episode of new 30 rock did it for me, all of the Jack stuff with him making the dvd to teach his potential son about the world was gold as far as I was concerned.

Community may well be the best sitcom to come along in the last 5 years. It's amazingly consistent too, not been many dodgy episodes so far and series 2 has started equally strong. It's just started showing on TV over here but it's been hidden away on VIVA which is a relative of MTV - channel 358 on sky - so don't be surprised if you don't hear much about it. I think it's Tuesday nights at 8 or 9. People who like funny things should watch it.

The second episode of new 30 rock did it for me, all of the Jack stuff with him making the dvd to teach his potential son about the world was gold as far as I was concerned.

VIVA is also on Freeview channel 19/20 or there about.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, but for anyone who likes Band of Brothers, Tom Hanks has done another WW11 mini-series with HBO - I can't fucking wait for this...

OK, I finally got this on BluRay box set, and finished the whole thing today. Can't help feeling slightly disappointed, but I suspect that's because I was looking for another Band of Brothers which it was never going to be. If I'd seen this one first it might have been the best thing I'd ever seen, but it's not quite up there. The story is a bit harder to get into as you don't really get to know the characters before it launches into the action and it's easy to lose track of who's who. And there's a couple of pointless romance stories that you just want to get over with and back to the fighting - the whole of episode three is pretty much a waste of time.

Having said that it does look fucking amazing, and there's plenty of 'woah, fuck me...' moments. And the amount of extra stuff on the bluray is incredible, totally in depth background stuff with historians, writers and some of the veterans themselves popping up everywhere.

Fucking amazing, just not quite as fucking amazing as I'd hoped for. 9/10

Anyone else seen it?

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished watching all the stargate series.....I'd never heard it of before january when i happened across one episode of stargate universe...I decided to watch all of season one of SGU then i was hooked...I then watched all the other stargate seasons arse about tit....After one season og SGU i then watched all 5 seasons of stargate atlantis which i totally enjoyed....I didnt really want to watch the original stargate (sg1) series as there was 10 seasons and 2 movies.....But after running out of things to watch i watched them and i loved them......If anyone has a spare year to watch all these i'd highly recommend them...

All in all 11/10 for the entire stargate tv show's....

It was too slow and too focused on banalities rather than the extraordinary. An episode about a backed up toilet and no plungers in the cargo hold wouldn't have been a surprise. There were only a few good episodes in the whole first season and although season 2 has been an improvement I saw this cancellation coming a mile off. They dropped the ball. The characterisations suffered from the same issue as highlighted in the epic RedLetterMedia review of The Phantom Menace.

Skip to 6:45 and play the same game with the Stargate Universe characters versus the Stargate SG-1 characters. Eli and Rush get pass marks but most of the SGU 'characters' are paper thin and totally unlike-able. Greer has been better over season 2 but for the most part we never understand anyone's motivations, nor do we care.

Also, flash backs and reveals to develop a character? S1E4 of Lost "Walkabout" set the bar for this. The flash back has to tell us something new about the character otherwise they're pointless and BORING!

• 2 weeks later...

Either last Sunday or last Friday night (can't remember which) I found the pilot for Sons of Anarchy on TV. Only saw 3/4 of it, but thought it was ace. Told the missus I wanted to start watching it and was thinking of looking for it on DVD. Christmas morning rolls around and turns out my mum got the first two seasons for me about two weeks before I'd seen it. :)

Loving it - brilliant show. Slowly making my way through season one now.