aberdeen-music

Deluxe Reverb Reisse Vs. Silverface Twin

Rusty Deathnail

Ok, ok. I probably seem a little obsessed right now but I've got a lot of time on my hands.

I want a Fender tube. Decision one made.

I've tried the Deville. Awesome. I've tried the 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue. Possibly even more awesome.

I've found a deal on a '79 Silverface Twin. It has had the reverb tank replaced as well as the grill cloth. I know the Silverfaces aren't held up in as high a regard as the Blackfaces but are they still great amps?

Would it be worth my while investing in a vintage Twin or going with a newer build (possibly the Deluxe Reverb reissue)?

Anyone have any experience with a Silverface Twin? I've read they can sound a little thin - does this ring true against modern build Fenders too or just the Blackfaces?

I just need some good personal experiences/opinions/info in case I want to go and try out the Silverface. I'm holding back as it will mean a fair bit of travelling. Just want to be as prepared as possible with info before heading down and trying it.

I've posted this in the Fender Forum as well to see if anything crops up.

I promise to stop talking about Fender tubes soon....and by soon I probably mean next year. Just wait till I actually get one....jesus.....

If the deluxe reverb is the tone you want, then who cares how good a deal the twin may be? 6V6s and 6L6's are totally different sounding. FWIW, the deluxe reverb is my take at the best club amp when you can mike it through a PA- loud enough to be a great stage monitor, not so loud that the sound guys get pissed off and turn off your vocal monitor to get you to turn down...

Late 70's Master volume twins are loud and clean. They can sound thin at low volumes, they're designed to be played loud- this is a 100 watt amp after all. Can you tell it's not a favorite of mine? I did have an early MV twin years ago, and it kept up with loud drummers and a shitty PA. But I also pulled 2 power tubes to cut the power...

I've had two silverface twins. I would not say they were thin, they would rattle stuff off the walls at a decent volume. I think people might think they are thin due to how bright they sound at times. I would have another one any day. The only thing I found was that when I played a dist pedal through them, they always sounded like a clean amp played dirty. They never sound liked a Marshall for instance. Now I know folk will say if you wanted a Marshall sound get a Marshall. I did in the end, but I still like the fender sound for a lot of stuff.

No help I know.......sorry

Bri

Hmmm....The bigger picture seems to be showing that this amp may be a little too loud for my needs. There's still something very appealing about them though. I need to source one so I can try it.

Sonhenry - Thanks for the info! I've heard pulling a couple of tubes makes them a little more manageable.

I don't really go for a hard distortion sort of sound, more moderate overdrive and it's nothing extreme...most of the time. I get what you're saying though.

I've also heard the stock speakers can sound a little muddy so it may mean some extra investment in getting those changed as well.

After my intial flurry of excitement, I am starting to wonder if this is the amp for me but, as is all too obvious, I can't really know until I've heard one with my own ears.

Hmmm....The bigger picture seems to be showing that this amp may be a little too loud for my needs. There's still something very appealing about them though. I need to source one so I can try it.

Sonhenry - Thanks for the info! I've heard pulling a couple of tubes makes them a little more manageable.

I don't really go for a hard distortion sort of sound, more moderate overdrive and it's nothing extreme...most of the time. I get what you're saying though.

I've also heard the stock speakers can sound a little muddy so it may mean some extra investment in getting those changed as well.

After my intial flurry of excitement, I am starting to wonder if this is the amp for me but, as is all too obvious, I can't really know until I've heard one with my own ears.

I'm still waiting fir my twin. I'm still not sure whether its a blackface or a silver face, but i'm reasonably sure its a silver. ordered the parts to have it serviced before christmas, last week the parts still hadn't come AND the guy who's doing it all for me got called out to dubai for a few weeks... great! i am, quite literally, dying to play it.

I was in the exact same position you are, a Deville/Deluxe vs. a twin. In the end this came up and it was a decent deal so i went for it... neither will sound bad. if worst comes to worst and it's tooo loud i'll pull out some tubes.

if you're absolutely desparate for a shot (and if i ever get mine) i suppose we could work summat out.

Thanks for the offer Sonhenry but I was working at Snafu last night. I didn't get a chance to check any replies.

Huw - If I am still in a state of decisional crisis by the time you get your amp, I'd really appreciate a shot. We'll see what turns up before then. Where did you buy it from if you are not sure what model it is?

I have a fender super reverb. the '65 reissue which is 45 watts and perfect for me as i like my cleans just at the point of breakup. The twin is too loud unless you're a stadium band but taking out two power tubes helps. I like the sound of 4x10" alnicos and the tube rectifier. I would've bought the deluxe but it didn't have a bright switch. Also, have a look at the ampeg j-20 'jet'. It is based on the '63 brown twin circuit.