aberdeen-music

Guide to pedal modifications part 1

Lame Guitarist

This is for the geeks that want to do this to their pedals.

Right part 1 how to true bypass a tubescreamer. This will work for any tubescreamer (Maxon or Ibanez) as they are all the same circuit anyway. First you need a 3DPT switch like the one in this link.

3PDT Foot Switch

I will compile as best pics as i can for this and put the rest of the thread together. You dont need any more parts as the rest involves removing components from the signal path. you do need a drill to drill a hole for the new switch.

This mod will give nice non tone sucked tone!

rest to follow in a few hours

even better, i found the keeley guide on how to do this. Its pretty simple and straightforward

Pedal Power - Q&A with Robert Keeley

Just be sure to drill the new switch in correctly as their is not much room in there for it. It should sit right in the centre of the Ibanez logo or Maxon logo. If your stuck gimme a shout and i can help.

I will post all the mods that are possible pretty soon for it. Will take me a while to type it all out

How easy is it to do basic mods with very little experience? I managed to fit a new pickup in my guitar, would most mods be of a similar skill level or are we talking proper electronic engineering here?

As long as your confident with soldering it should be a breeze. The ones am going to post for the tubescreamer are very easy and i will try to give as detailed info as i can. You only need to know what you are doing when it involves modding a pedal without instructions as you cant just simply swap a part out for another. you need to know how the circuit works. Almost ruined a few pedals last year by trying things that didnt work!! :D without studying the circuit properly. but its all trial and error. The mods i will put on here will be easy to follow and if they dont work it will 99% be caused by a solder joint that isnt correct.

That could be a problem, though I guess the only way to get confident is to do more of it...

you will get more confident with it as you do it. you need some de-solder braid and learn to de-solder when removing components but its easy enough.

I have a quide at home for soldering and learning to do that. i will dig it out and scan it in. its pretty user friendly i think so that might be handy.

you will get more confident with it as you do it. you need some de-solder braid and learn to de-solder when removing components but its easy enough.

I have a quide at home for soldering and learning to do that. i will dig it out and scan it in. its pretty user friendly i think so that might be handy.

I've never used braid, I use the little vacuum pumps for removing solder. Which reminds me - need to get some new tips, my current one is looking a little sorry for itself now.

• 6 months later...
That could be a problem, though I guess the only way to get confident is to do more of it...

I don't know if this is any help, but I've built a boost pedal using one of the BYOC pedal kits. The process is incredibly easy, requires no knowledge of electronics and is a great way to get confident at soldering. The pedals themselves are pretty great, and it saves you messing up some of your own pedals in the pursuit of knowledge.

Check them out here. I built the triboost.