aberdeen-music

Gear to buy for 2009?

Lame Guitarist

Anyone got any gear purchases they are aiming to get this year?

Mines is the new Mesa Boogie Mark 5 amp head which is supposed to be released after its debut at NAMM in the states this week. I want one o them babies in my hands by Feb hopefully. If not then its a Diezel VH-4

Also i think i will invest in a new piece of gear for recording. i was thinking of leaving the world of 4 or 8 tracks behind and getting software for the laptop. any recommendations?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely need a new amp and probably a new guitar too. At the moment I'm leaning towards an Orange Tiny Terror as it seems to have a lot of bang for the buck, but I'm not sure. Probably buy a shitload of pedals that I'll end up using one or twice and never look at again, too...

Pretty close to getting a new guitar... A Reissue 1972 Telecaster Deluxe. I love 'em.

A new set of Pickups for my Les Paul hunk of Mahogany...BareKnuckle Holy Diver's i think.

A delay pedal of some description... possibly a DL4, TC Nova or some awesome analogue thing.

A sweet distortion preamp... an Xotic BB plus or something like that

Depending on my amp reverb... an EHX Holy Grail

Would like another guitar too... something like a Jaguar or a jazzmaster. Not too soon though.

A firewire interface and a mic... presonus firepod, somthing with at least 6 mic pres anyway and an SM57.

that's probably gonna take a lot longer than a year.

I'm very intrigued by the Mark V. Sounds like that missing link in what I'm after. Will have to give them a serious look after they're out :)

MXR Flanger Doubler rack unit. Need one of these for my Randall rig I'm building. The Dime shrine if you will :laughing:

Another cab will be on the way at some point. Plans are to get a solid 4x12 but gut it and put in a single 15" and 2x10" in the enclosure. If I don't get on with it, I'll put the 4x12" back in and sell the other speakers :)

If any guitars come along I'll have a good look, but there's not anything I'm heart set on at the moment. Wouldn't mind a floyded dual hum TA Drop Top but that, and finding the right Les Paul, may be a while longer than just this year. Especially if I'm picking up other stuff too :)

Guest idol_wild
Phil, have you compared a deville and a deluxe side by side? 40w is more than enough for gigging and it costs like 150 smackers less. just a suggest.

I did have a wee looky, but I'm not sure at all what amp I want.

First stop is a lovely guitar.

How come a Jaguar? Mind and change the bridge so you can actually play the thing.

Because they sound nice. What is wrong with the bridge? ?(

The strings tend to pop out of a Jaguar's bridge which is a right pain. It is because there isn't one groove in the saddle like most tune-o-matic bridges. Instead, there are loads, which is meant to be great for string placement, except that it doesn't work.

Some stuff about the bridge from wikipedia:

Many guitar players find fault with the design of the tailed bridge, which features saddles that have many grooves cut into them (similar to screw threads). The idea behind this design was that you could space your strings to best suit your needs but the strings may jump out of the grooves when playing with force. The problem is worse on Japanese-made (reissue) Jaguars. The saddles on the Japanese Jaguars have more shallow grooves than their American-made counterparts (vintage or reissue[citation needed]).

Before attempting modifications, it is advisable to install the strings for which the instrument was designed. When the Jaguar was designed, in the early sixties, heavy-gauge flatwounds were most common, and the G string was wound instead of plain. The Jaguar performs best with such strings[2] These, in general, increase string tension and help keep the setup tight. Flatwounds fit the saddle grooves better, and the increased mass of the strings also serves to decrease buzzing on the bridge saddles. In the 80s and 90s the heavy strings chosen by Jaguar (and Jazzmaster) players also contributed to the characteristic sound that became associated with the guitar. A lighter gauge pick will also help to absorb some of the force from hard playing.

If a modification must be done, the cheap and easy solution to this problem is to deepen the string grooves with a file. Rattling saddles can also be an issue with stock Jaguar bridges. However the saddles can be locked in place by setting the bridge baseplate relatively close to the body while adjusting the individual saddles upward, and using the posts to adjust action. Many Jaguar players as a solution replace the Jag bridge with a Fender Mustang-style bridge which is more solid in construction, however with some setups the strings can rattle against or contact the back of the Mustang bridge, meaning that buzz will not be reduced. Another means of stopping the saddles from rattling is to dip the entire bridge assembly in melted wax. The wax, when hardened, holds the saddles in place. A similar technique is used on guitar pickups.

..and in a perfect world I would like some sort of boutique low wattage valve amp.

Try one of these....

Blackstar HT5 - 5 Watt Combo (HT5) from GigGear.co.uk

I bought one back in December (250) and haven't used my Fender since.

The Overdrive channel is just fabulous and the Clean is pretty good (not Fender good, but I don't use Clean that often)

Well built, small, light and great sounding - highly recommended.

You'r welcome to a shottie of mine sometime - and they comce in head format as well and sound great through 4x12 cabs.

A new guitar, possible an LTD EC-1000 or a Schecter with EMG's.

Wouldn't mind another amp, possibly a JCM900(I'm one of the few people who actually like these amps)

Gonna get my AC30 up and running ASAP.

A Rat or a Box Of Rock for my AC30.

Some mics, an FMR RNP, some decent XLR's...

I need another job :(

Mainly I would like to get myself a new guitar.

Not sure exactly what I will get but I would like a solid body electric guitar 25.5" scale (larger scale maybe possible), preferably ash or alder body (other woods are possible but that sort of idea). Floating bridge (preferably something a bit simpler than floyd rose but I am maybe asking too much), natural woodstain finish. Neck with 'vintage' feel but not going to stop me from doing any fancy stuff. Not sure about pickups. I could probably live with only single coils but at least one humbucker is preferable. Maybe humbuckers that sound really good coil tapped or hot rails or a mixture.

It also must sound good through the maximum number of amps I plug it into without the use of pedals. Not that I am against pedals but I want something that naturally sounds good.

Also interested by this Mesa Boogie MK 5 talk. Maybe get a Marshall 9200 + some effects unit so I can get my rack setup sounding better.

If I make more money than I expect this year might get a few pedals, Perhaps Boss Bluesdriver (maybe Keely mod), compression sustainer, a distortion pedal for high gain also, a decent reverb pedal (maybe TC electronics nova verb) and a decent delay pedal (not sure). TC electronics Chorus/Flanger would be nice also

I will put this on my wish list as i do every year though i'm less hopeful of achieving it this year:

Bogner%20Uberschall.jpg

ooh an ubershall (or however its spelt :D) Bogners are real nice. i tried the ecstacy but ended up going for the mesa roadster cos of the independant eq's for each channel and other options. They are nice though. i use bogner cabs as well which are fab.

Pricey though and the prices on Bogner just went up recently i believe

Mainly I would like to get myself a new guitar.

Not sure exactly what I will get but I would like a solid body electric guitar 25.5" scale (larger scale maybe possible), preferably ash or alder body (other woods are possible but that sort of idea). Floating bridge (preferably something a bit simpler than floyd rose but I am maybe asking too much), natural woodstain finish. Neck with 'vintage' feel but not going to stop me from doing any fancy stuff. Not sure about pickups. I could probably live with only single coils but at least one humbucker is preferable. Maybe humbuckers that sound really good coil tapped or hot rails or a mixture.

It also must sound good through the maximum number of amps I plug it into without the use of pedals. Not that I am against pedals but I want something that naturally sounds good.

Also interested by this Mesa Boogie MK 5 talk. Maybe get a Marshall 9200 + some effects unit so I can get my rack setup sounding better.

If I make more money than I expect this year might get a few pedals, Perhaps Boss Bluesdriver (maybe Keely mod), compression sustainer, a distortion pedal for high gain also, a decent reverb pedal (maybe TC electronics nova verb) and a decent delay pedal (not sure). TC electronics Chorus/Flanger would be nice also

There are a few mods which sound better than the keeley. you would be cheaper buying the blues driver and modding it yourself if your confident of soldering. I could give you the schematics

the mark 5 boogie is apparently a 3 channel amp with all the mark version bells and whistles and also a lot of the roadking features like progressive linkage and so on. Been one picture around of it in John Pettruci's rig as i believe he was demoing it for them as he is their main endorser or something. Looks nice like but i would bet it will come with a price tag of no less than 3k

There is a new delay pedal coming out by vox. the time machine. its a joe satriani sig pedal but it actually looks good on paper. has an analogue mode which might be the selling point and some other bells and whistles