aberdeen-music

A History of Scotland

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Has anyone else been watching BBC's fine series of documentaries on the history of Scotland?

I've caught a couple now and they are thoroughly engaging and informative.

Watched the whole lot and thought it was great but it stopped too early. It basically ended with the union of the crowns and I was hoping to see stuff about the covenanters, the jacobite rebellions, glencoe and the scottish enlightenment.

Guess Neil Oliver's hoping for a second series.

Guest idol_wild
I don't mind this programme and it has been good when I've seen it but I really can't stand Neil Oliver. He ruins it for me

It took me a while to warm to him too, I must admit. But I find him clear, concise and passionate, yet dry and somewhat unbiased. Which is a good thing.

Wirelessly posted (LG/KU990-Orange/v10f Browser/Obigo-Q05A/3.6 MMS/LG-MMS-V1.0/1.2 Java/ASVM/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

A second series has already been commissioned :)

It's been pretty entertaining though a bit of a rough guide to scottish history. Maybe we'll get more in depth stuff off the back of it.

Yeah i watched them all aswell and as much as Neil Oliver comes across as being arrogant for some reason i actually quite enjoy his programmes.....Coast is another i quite enjoy......He is passionate and pretty accurate on factual scottishhistory not fashionable popular scottish myths.......I dont believe he's 100% unbiased like as he is 100% scottish making a programme regarding the scots V the engurlish........

Im not sure what it is about Neil Oliver that makes him so unpopular could it be his smugness? lol