aberdeen-music

Drum madness!!

Drummerboy

Ok guys i was basically wanting to know what is considered "drumming mad" as far as how many drum kits you own?? I live in a one bed studio flat and yet i have 5 drum kits and i think about 12 snares! Is this to much lol??? Also what equippment do you use as a drummer? Im sort of a geek when it comes to gear - love hearing what other folk use:up:

As for me here are my kits:

Main rig is a speical edtion Pearl Masters in red sparkle (my picture).

FVF custom acrilic kit (think Travis Baker lol)

Sonor Jungle kit

Premier Series maple

1960s Premier rosewood (Like Ringo had before the Ludwig)

Drummerboy

My kits:

Sonor SQ2 maple - (tiger stripe finish...miaoow) 22x18, 10, 12, 14, 16, 14x5SD w/ Sonor 600 series hardware

DW Collectors maple (purple lacquer finish) - same sizes w/ DW9000 series hardware

Other snares:

Tama Starclassic bubinga snare - 14x5.5

Premier Modern Classic maple piccolo snare - 14 x 3.5

Pacific soprano snare - 10 x 5

Pearl Eliminator double pedal

Zildjian cymbals:

20" K custom ride

14" K custom mastersound hats

13" A New-Beat hats

16" and 18" A custom crashes

16" oriental china trash

Other:

Pro racket cases, BeyerDynamic Opus mics, various random percussion bits and bobs

Proud to say that I achieved this little lot with the burden of a wife.

I have a DW collectors in a fantastic turquoise grain, 22, 10, 12, 14. I am far to scared to take this out the house so I had to invest in a "gigging kit"

My second kit is a Mapex Pro M kit in gold sparke. 22, 10, 12, 14, 16. I love this kit, I know that the Orion series is much more thought of, but these drums are fantastic. I really recommend this kit for gigging purposes, they sound great, look great and can't half take a battering!

I have 3 snares,

14 x 5 DW Edge

14 x 5 Chad Smith Sig

14 x 6.5 Ian Paice Sig

Cymbals,

Mostly Zildjian,

14 " K Custom Hi-hats,

2 x 16" A Custom crashes,

14" A New beat hi-hats,

18" Oriental china,

Sabian,

20" HH Power bell ride,

8" AAX Splash.

Hardware DW and Mapex (respective kits)

Iron Cobra pedals

Protection raquet and Hardcase cases,

Pearl remote hi hat

Wow a gear thread for drummers! I never thought I'd see the day :up:

Drums:

Mapex Black Panther 14"x5.5" Traditional Maple Snare drum (Satin Black with gold hardware)

PDP MXR kit (Satin Cherry to Black fade)

24"x18" bass drum

12"x9" rack tom

14"x12" and 16"x14" floor toms

Cymbals

Paiste 14" Signature Dark Crisp Hats

Paiste 22" 2002 Ride

Sabian 18" AAXplosion Crash

Sabian 18" AAX Dark Crash

Stagg 8" & 10" DH Splashes

Hardware

All Yamaha except for Tama Iron Cobra Flexi Glide bass pedal and Pearl Roadster throne

Others

Vater 5A sticks

Protection Racket bags

Also have a Roland TD3 electric kit in my flat's living room and currently residing at a friend's house is my old Yamaha Stage Custom with a random assortment of cymbals.

SWEET! keep it comming guys:-)

Ok nice kits here - Big fan of DWs. Not a huge one of Sonor even though ive got a jungle kit lol. I know the feeling about having a sperate "gigging kit" than the one you normally use - i was scared to take my Pearl kit out. My mums sending me my Premier series kit this week so can't wait to get it out the boxes! Has anyone ever had/played one? I was hooked after going on a course with steve white.

Hmmm i really need to by a metal snare...

how is that?! i've always wanted to play one.

I love it, I've had loads of Pearl snares over the years, and with the exception of the Brass Free Floater I think this is the best Pearl snare i've come across,

The drum is Nickel plated steel, and it makes the drum very bright and crisp, it also has a fantastic crack, and not only off a rim shot. When I initially got the drum I really didn't think it would suit playing rock stuff as I had bought it for funk, but it seems to have such a wide tuning range that it works really well for rock stuff. The nickel plating and large superhoops also makes it a pretty spectacular looking snare drum.

I'd say if you were looking for a drum in the 5" depth range, this one is well worth checking out!

Guest treader.

I use a Gretsch Catalina Club 14 X 6.5" Snare. It's pretty sweet sounding but can be quite a deep sound at times.

I also own a Yamaha 13 x 4" (or 3.5" im not sure) which is nice for tight funk/dance/electro beats.

SWEET! keep it comming guys:-)

Ok nice kits here - Big fan of DWs. Not a huge one of Sonor even though ive got a jungle kit lol. I know the feeling about having a sperate "gigging kit" than the one you normally use - i was scared to take my Pearl kit out. My mums sending me my Premier series kit this week so can't wait to get it out the boxes! Has anyone ever had/played one? I was hooked after going on a course with steve white.

Hmmm i really need to by a metal snare...

I thought my DW was utterly horrible which is why I bought my Sonor kit and it's honestly the best decision I ever made. I made the mistake of buying a DW, just because of reputation and kudos factor but IMO, the Sonor SQ2 just wipes the floor with the DW......the bass drum especially. From what I've gathered over the years, DW kits are a bit of an acquired taste. They can sound great, and many people love them to death, but I've heard from a few people that just couldn't get on with their DWs for some reason. I'm definitely in the latter camp.

I thought my DW was utterly horrible which is why I bought my Sonor kit and it's honestly the best decision I ever made. I made the mistake of buying a DW, just because of reputation and kudos factor but IMO, the Sonor SQ2 just wipes the floor with the DW......the bass drum especially. From what I've gathered over the years, DW kits are a bit of an acquired taste. They can sound great, and many people love them to death, but I've heard from a few people that just couldn't get on with their DWs for some reason. I'm definitely in the latter camp.

I totally agree with this assessment, I've heard loads of players who have said they dislike DW drums, guess it's the same as everything though, it's all down to tastes. The drumming world would be a pretty boring place if everyone loved the same kit.

But at the end of the day the big manufacturers surely don't make bad drums with their top end ranges? Or do they?

I totally agree with this assessment, I've heard loads of players who have said they dislike DW drums, guess it's the same as everything though, it's all down to tastes. The drumming world would be a pretty boring place if everyone loved the same kit.

But at the end of the day the big manufacturers surely don't make bad drums with their top end ranges? Or do they?

No, I think all the big manufacturers are making very, very good stuff at the top-of-the-range. Christ, unless you're being picky it's hard enough finding fault with some of the middle-range kits. The stuff that these days costs 600-700 would have cost you at least double that in the early-90s and earlier.

LOL

really?? Chad smith snare? You know its practically an export snare with a different throw off? He does not even use it in real life much - he only uses it for drum clinics. In the studio aparently he uses Brady snares alot. I like the Ian Paice Snare though - the lug locks are a good idea. Wish more new snares had them as standard....

Ok not to sound bitchy here but i actualy came to see Soul Fricken Hot at the blue lamp last year and i was practically 10 feet away from your kit and i was'nt impressed. Again i was 10 feet away from Gavin Harrison at the porcupine tree gig last year and he has the same kit - again thought it sounded rather dull. It might be just my opinion on what sounds i like - i like ringy toms and punchy bass drums. To be honest the kit ive got sounds best with Evans heads and not the Remo ones which come with it - Dennis Chambers and Horarico Horednez (can't spell his name lol) both use Evans and they get their kit to sound much more hot i like it so i think im gona change to Evans soon. Again this is NOT to be bitch about your sonor and the finnish is to die for - just did not live up to the sound for me.

I have 99 "kits" - all on a Roland TD6 - very tasty - a kit for every occasion - but I do use a violin bow on real cymbals, and loads of real percussion .

I am too lazy to lug aboot real drumkits -the electric kit fits onto a toolbox with wheels -it fits in the car boot, and saves loads of trips in and oot o venues... mind you, I do like it when bands turn up with Tama Star Classics -a bit heavy, but they sound well tasty .

Ok not to sound bitchy here but i actualy came to see Soul Fricken Hot at the blue lamp last year and i was practically 10 feet away from your kit and i was'nt impressed. Again i was 10 feet away from Gavin Harrison at the porcupine tree gig last year and he has the same kit - again thought it sounded rather dull. It might be just my opinion on what sounds i like - i like ringy toms and punchy bass drums. To be honest the kit ive got sounds best with Evans heads and not the Remo ones which come with it - Dennis Chambers and Horarico Horednez (can't spell his name lol) both use Evans and they get their kit to sound much more hot i like it so i think im gona change to Evans soon. Again this is NOT to be bitch about your sonor and the finnish is to die for - just did not live up to the sound for me.

Hey, doesn't bother me.....my sound is what I personally like, but horses for courses. What you call dull, I would call "fat" which is the sound I'm after. I had a go of a Premier Series kit not long ago, and it's a very "open" sound. Completely different, and not my bag....but opinions....arseholes....etc.

I'm using Evans coated G2s on my toms.....and an Aquarian Super Kick II bass drum head, which if you like punchy bass, I suggest you try out if you haven't already.

Hey, doesn't bother me.....my sound is what I personally like, but horses for courses. What you call dull, I would call "fat" which is the sound I'm after. I had a go of a Premier Series kit not long ago, and it's a very "open" sound. Completely different, and not my bag....but opinions....arseholes....etc.

I'm using Evans coated G2s on my toms.....and an Aquarian Super Kick II bass drum head, which if you like punchy bass, I suggest you try out if you haven't already.

Arseholes?? Hmmmm well i did say it was not intended to be bitchy but obvously that was lost at the begining. Everyone has an opinon and thats kind of what blogs are about mate - not everyone with like Sonor or indeed Pearl or Premier. But ive heard the Evans EMAD bass head and it makes even a budget kit bass drum sound good - heard it on an export and had to look twice to see that it was not a more expensive kit. Ive currently got a Remo powerstroke 3 and it is a good head but it retains to much of the sound.

LOL

really?? Chad smith snare? You know its practically an export snare with a different throw off? He does not even use it in real life much - he only uses it for drum clinics. In the studio aparently he uses Brady snares alot. I like the Ian Paice Snare though - the lug locks are a good idea. Wish more new snares had them as standard....

I don't think at any point I did suggest that he did use it did? I like it, I don't really care at the value or the prestige it has, if you give me an export snare that I like the sound of, I'll

use it! :up:

And just for reference, I have seen Soul Funkin Hot on several occasions, and never have I been disappointed with the drum sound.

Arseholes?? Hmmmm well i did say it was not intended to be bitchy but obvously that was lost at the begining. Everyone has an opinon and thats kind of what blogs are about mate - not everyone with like Sonor or indeed Pearl or Premier. But ive heard the Evans EMAD bass head and it makes even a budget kit bass drum sound good - heard it on an export and had to look twice to see that it was not a more expensive kit. Ive currently got a Remo powerstroke 3 and it is a good head but it retains to much of the sound.

Erm...I think something may have been lost in translation. The correct phrase (which I truncated somewhat) is "opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one".......I wasn't calling you an arsehole!

(Sigh).