aberdeen-music

Classic Martial Arts/Kung Fu Movies

huntedbyafreak

Anybody in the know when it comes to the classics? I've seen a few that I've loved (Iron Monkey, Ong-Bak, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) but I want more! Which early Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan films to go for first? Which films would be totally off the radar?

Thanks in advance...

"The Big Boss" is my fave Bruce Lee flick......great film.

as far as jackie chan goes then check out the police story series. i used to be quite into kung fu films. sammo hung's stuff was always ace as well, pedicab driver being a particular favourite of mine.

i'm sure there'll be some genuine experts on here somewhere who can point out the more obscure stuff to go for.

Enter The Dragon is the best Bruce Lee film, certainly the most entertaining, the others can be kind of dull in between the fight scenes, although Fist of Fury and The Big Boss are worth a look.

There were 5 Lone Wolf and Cub movies and having seen them all I can advise just seeking out Shogun Assassin which amalgamates the first 2 in the series, the others are slightly boring and typically have an hour or so of meandering storyline with an insane closing action sequence.

Lone Wolf and Cub is a classic. Samourai film about a guy who carts his kid around in a pram and beats folk up.

Also, Shogun Assasin which is bizarre but brilliant.

The police strory films are a good place to start with Jackie Chan. Some of the stunts he does are incredible....YouTube - Cinemassacre's Top 10 Jackie Chan Stunts

shogun assasin and lone wolf and cub are the same thing are they not?

shogun assasin is weird because it's the 3 lone wolf films cut into one with most of the important story bits edited out so it's just the gory fights.

shogun assasin is weird because it's the 3 lone wolf films cut into one with most of the important story bits edited out so it's just the gory fights.

Shogun Assasin assembles bits of Sword of Vengeance and Babycart at the River Styx, the first 2 films if memory serves. They maybe chucked in bits of others but those 2 are the main source.

Spot on.... Was gonna correct myself. I meant to write Revenge of the Drunken Master, got them at the same time. That's the weird one with the strange belly button thing.

"The Big Boss" is my fave Bruce Lee flick......great film.

It's been a while since I have watched them (having the ones I have on video), but sure The Big Boss is one of my faves too, if it's the one with the poof guy in the pink suit and huge sun-specs?

here's a box set be worth looking at

Bruce Lee 30th Anniversary Commemorative Box Set [2003]: Bruce Lee: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

You also need to see the Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris fight in the Colloseum, if only for the Chuckster's laughable facial expressions and the comedy sound effects!

Oh! and and otherwise classic fight is cut with shots of a kitten playing with some rolled up paper o_O - eat your heart out David Lynch.

YouTube - Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris in Rome - Way of the dragon

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot to be said for a decent live action / kung-fu film, although my favourite types are those that fall into the 1-5 category. Poorly dubbed, cheaply made and usually flops. Second hand / charity shops are goldmines for these, although they're not to everyone's taste. I've got a fuckload of both types and will post a list of the best later.

Kung Faux is also quite a novel idea, and well worth watching / buying a couple of episodes on DVD. It's old films re dubbed by rappers from the wu-tang clan etc with load sof phat beatz through the story: Kung Faux