aberdeen-music

Electric Guitar Strings?

TelecasterSam

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and possibly even where the tree's they were built with came from :D

I am actually sad enough to know this in a lot of cases. There is a big difference between Indian rosewood and Brazillian rosewood (my two Les Pauls have Indian rosewood fingerboards but my Silvertone 1452 has Brazilian rosewood :gringo:).

The next thread may be "Who is Aberdeen-Music's biggest Guitar Nerd"

Hate Event (James) gets my vote. He seems to be the only one here that knows accurate dimensions of all his guitars and possibly even where the tree's they were built with came from :D

I agree with your vote :p

I AM indeed rather geeky with regards to my guitar gear! It's all good though, I'm happy to advise and help out where possible :D

I am actually sad enough to know this in a lot of cases. There is a big difference between Indian rosewood and Brazillian rosewood (my two Les Pauls have Indian rosewood fingerboards but my Silvertone 1452 has Brazilian rosewood :gringo:).

Too right they're different!

I went for an Indian Rosewood board and top on my old Explorer, was the sludgiest, darkest thick rhythm tone ever! :)

I think this could be the dullest thread on Aberdeen-Music unless you are some sort of sad guitar nerd. :D

i have found this thread to be riveting...

iv'e tried a lot of different stuff, but settled for Gibson Les Pauls (10's) on my Gibbos (although the consistency of Les Pauls (the strings) has varied a lot)

Ernie Ball 10's on my strats and D'addarios 9's on my Parkers.... i have no idea what is on my lap steel 'cos i have never broken a string on it in over 1.5 years...

guitar geekery is great!!! though i was once able to tell you the types of capacitors i used in tone controls but now i can't remember any of it!!! :down:

i use rotosound strings on my bass, the heavyest gauge i could get, and keep them untill they are festering with dead skin so that the higher trebly sounds are muted! :up:

guitar was always D'addarios 10 gauge's for standard tuning and a seven string set for tunning down to A or Ab sillyness. i always changed them regularly but just haven't go the time nowadays!! :down: tokia sg was great for down tuning as it has a neck like a telegraph pole!!

I think this could be the dullest thread on Aberdeen-Music unless you are some sort of sad guitar nerd. :D

Stripey would have ruined this thread if it had been posted 6 months ago.

I used to be a massive fan of DR- found them to be long lasting with consistent tone. They seem to be fucking awful nowadays though- the last 2 or 3 packs I've bought sounded ridiculously dull. For the last couple of years I've been using D'Addario 10-46 on most guitars and 11-52 on my Dean. I reckon I'm going to try a set of Elixirs next time I'm restringing, just to see how they fare.

• 1 month later...
Any recommendations on bass string gauges? I tune my main bass down to drop C for a lot of the stuff I play, but I reckon I need to move up to a higher gauge to counteract the buzz I've been getting from the looseness of the strings. Also, any particular brand I should try?

Honestly? Go for a five string. Can't go wrong. I got a sweet deal on a maverick five string on here not that long ago and I don't think i'd ever go back to four string playing again and it'd save you having to re-tune your bass all the time. :up:

Honestly? Go for a five string. Can't go wrong. I got a sweet deal on a maverick five string on here not that long ago and I don't think i'd ever go back to four string playing again and it'd save you having to re-tune your bass all the time. :up:

This would be the ideal solution had I not just spent all my cash on a 4 string Jazz just a few months back. Sadly can't afford another!

Elixir or D'Addario 9-42 all the way, because 9 is the best and most playable gauge for a 25.5" scale length g- tar (particularly one with a Floyd Rose), Elixirs are class and last literally months, D'Addarios have a nice smooth feel and the fact they are foil wrapped and airtight means they can't get the chance to oxidise and rust till you put them on the guitar at least!

p.s. If I had a Les Paul/ SG/ other 24.75" guitar it'd be tens.

p.p.s. The above information is for standard tuning/ Drop D. When I used to detune my guitars, I'd work off the loosely enforced rule that for each semitone I downtuned I'd go up one gauge of string. E.g. E Standard down to E flat Standard would be a move from .009- .042 up to .010- .046. A further move down to D Standard would change the necessary gauge to .011- .048/ .049. This rule DEFINITELY helps when a Floyd is involved; those things do NOT like hybrid gauges (9-46, 10-52 etc).

I use Elixir LTHB's on all my guitars and they feel great to me. They sound good out of the packet and they last for... months and months and months. I had a set on a Les Paul for 10 months, they still sounded, felt and played as good as new.

Worth every penny.

I used to use D'Addario's too... they are great strings. If they lasted longer, you could count me in that club as well.

On my Ibanez RG 7 string I use Ernie Ball super slinky 9 - 42 with an extra guage 52 string. I've tried other things and I probably preferred guage 10 but i really need to take time setting up this guitar if I am going to get it to there again. I have also tried Guage 12 Elixer strings with an extra 9 on them and wasn't that impressed on this guitar.

The only strings I've liked on my Schecter Jazz Elite are guage 12 Elixer electric strings.

• 1 year later...

Bumping the "dullest thread on Aberdeen Music".

Recently I've been buying the RotoSound Pinks from Captain Toms (simply because it doesn't fucking close at 5.00 when I'm still at work and I can drive up there in the evening) but they seem to lose their tone really quickly and I keep snapping the fuckers. Anyone else think they are a bit shit?

Probably going to go back to D'Addarios, or these old beauties:

Fender Super Bullets, Electric Guitar Strings, Electric Strings

Do they have these in R&B / Brucies?

I always wanted to save up my D'Addario packets so I could get a T-shirt or a baseball cap, like one of those proper full on guitar nerds you sometimes see. But I kept forgetting and chucking them out. Mind you when I was 15 I used to walk around in a black BC Rich t-shirt with neon pink writing on it. So who am I to criticise?

Bumping the "dullest thread on Aberdeen Music".

Recently I've been buying the RotoSound Pinks from Captain Toms (simply because it doesn't fucking close at 5.00 when I'm still at work and I can drive up there in the evening) but they seem to lose their tone really quickly and I keep snapping the fuckers. Anyone else think they are a bit shit?

Probably going to go back to D'Addarios, or these old beauties:

Fender Super Bullets, Electric Guitar Strings, Electric Strings

Do they have these in R&B / Brucies?

R&B is until 5.30 (7 on Thursdays). Dunno how much that helps though ?(

Rotosounds are ok. I don't use them. British made hence cheaper but I don't bother with them.

D'Addario are my choice as they're a little brighter and tend to last longer than the Ernie Balls (personal experience).

Fender Bullets/Super Bullets - R&B don't stock them anymore as - like with DR - we were getting them coming through oxidised (batch after batch) and so lost faith and don't keep them anymore.

:up: