aberdeen-music

Electric Guitar Strings?

TelecasterSam

Might be very interesting to find out what most of you like to use?

Brand? Gauge? Guitar Used and short expanation of Why?

I've tried Fenders, Ernie Ball's, Picato's ....but now....

I use Rotosound Blues, 10, 13,17,30,42,52 on a number of Tele's (obviously)

I find these to be the best I've ever used...

They stay bright a long time, Tarnish very slowly, Stay in tune very well, and I have not broken a string since I started using them.....in short... I love em'

Over to you!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brand: D'Addario

Reason: They feel smoother and are brighter straight away than others. They last, are consistent (unlike DR strings were, rusty out the packet FTL!) and are well priced.

Gauge: Depends what tuning. I like the feel of 9-42 in standard tuning on a 25.5" scale so generally I try and calculate it to work with that.

For example -

ESP KH-2 NT: EADGBE, 25.5", 9-42.

ESP Hanneman: BF#BEG#C#, 25.5", 11, 14, 22W, 32, 44, 56.

Dean DFH: BEADGC, 24.75, 12, 16, 24W, 36, 46, 58.

I use D'Addario 10s on all my electrics, regardless of scale. I've tried others but the D'Addarios just feel "right". Plus they have the coloured bits at the end of the strings to make re-stringing a doddle. :up:

Every few years I decide to put 9s onto one of my guitars to see if it makes me play any better, but it never does and I always end up regretting it and going back to 10s.

On my Les Pauls and SG's I use Ernie Balls 10's

Fenders or all my other guitars i have 9's, Hybrids on by Ernie Ball as well.

Started drop tuning a PRS which i have fitted with power slinkys, I think they are 12's

I haven't really experimented with Strings. I can't even remember why i started using Ernie Balls but i have stuck with them for about 15 years probably. I have about 20 guitars to re-string so I get them in Bulk for about 3 something per pack from Strings Direct.

Has anyone actually noticed that even if you put fresh strings on a guitar and don't play it for 4 to 6 months the strings sometimes still go dud.

I use D'Addario 9-42 on my Telecaster and my Spear, or failing that Ernie Ball 9-42s. I only re-string 2-3 times a year but my guitars don't get played that often, it's not unknown for a guitar to go in it's case after practice on Thursday and still be in it's case the following Thursday.

I used to use Fender Bullets 8-38 on my Warlock when I had it, but they just fucking snapped all the time, and that was re-stringing every 1-2 months. Since changing to 9-42s I haven't snapped a string in like 6 years.

On my Les Pauls and SG's I use Ernie Balls 10's

Fenders or all my other guitars i have 9's, Hybrids on by Ernie Ball as well.

Started drop tuning a PRS which i have fitted with power slinkys, I think they are 12's

I haven't really experimented with Strings. I can't even remember why i started using Ernie Balls but i have stuck with them for about 15 years probably. I have about 20 guitars to re-string so I get them in Bulk for about 3 something per pack from Strings Direct.

Has anyone actually noticed that even if you put fresh strings on a guitar and don't play it for 4 to 6 months the strings sometimes still go dud.

I get mine from Strings Direct too, good prices & good delivery....

I think you'll find that Rotosounds won't go dud either...give em a try !

I use Roto Blues for all playing situations :

Standard Tuning

Dropped D

Open G

Never thought to mention picks ...but of course they do matter to your playing!

I use Jim Dunlop Nylon 1.0mm.... good and solid but being nylon, have a bit of flexibility

:up:

Oxidation sir. I don't worry about it as I restring often anyway but in the past it's happened.

Did anyone else who uses 12's, Power Slinky's by Ernie Ball have a problem with the string going through your tuners? I put them in my PRS for drop tuning and couldnt get the low E through the peg. I had to file out the hole to make it bigger.

Not familiar with the diameter for PRS, but I know that anything above 58s on sperzels, ya have to bore them out a little bit! :)

Not with D'addarios. ;)

Yes with D'Addarios! Not with the stainless steel ones though :p

I restring every fortnight o_O:laughing: