aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Lame joke is lame.

I got a load of recipes yesterday for making stuff in coffee mugs. Meatloaf in a mug, quiche in a mug, cinnamon roll cake in a mug and a chocolate and peanut butter cake in a mug with hot fudge and peanut butter mouse on top. It looks incredible.

I saw a recipe once for making brownies in a mug:

tumblr_mgvkiz6Q6S1qcu158o1_500.jpg

So we did the hot wings. Fucking awesome. Whole bottle of Frank's red hot sauce, some butter, some cayenne, smoked paprika and some smoked chipotle sauce heated together. Marinaded the wings, roasted them then smothed them in the rest of the sauce. So fucking good.  I want more.

Bit worried about what my ass may make of it tomorrow though...

Me too! Except, alone. ;( Inspired by this thread.

Chris - did you flour/dry-goods them up at all pre-baking? I guess not if you marinaded them?

Can't see the vid in the post above at work.

Anyway we just marinaded, no flour.  There was a lack of crispy skin but the big advantage was in the flavour.  We made the decision after some reading:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/buffalo-wings-baked-recipe.html?ref=search

If you really want to maximise your crispy skin read this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the-best-baked-buffalo-chicken-wings-in-oven-not-fried-appetizers.html?ref=search

honestly, those hot wings were one of the finest things i've ever put in my mouth.  I can only imagine how awesome they'd be with extra crispyness but as it was they were still fantastic.  the chicken was full of awesome flavour and just fell off the bones.  I would have quite happily licked the bowl clean as well.

totally doing chicken wings again.  I'd like to make my own sauce though.

Nice one - definitely doing this tonight, I'm going to go for the flour method and will report back re: crispiness in due course.

So the wings were nice and crispy, but as it was my first effort with the sauce, I'm not sure the quantities were quite right...definitely still very nice though, will make again.

On a side note, for those that like SANDWICHES, I found this on another forum. A sandwich for every day of the month (unless it's January, February, March, May, July, August, October or December where you'll have to make one of them twice):

aa1c0cd2819242e070488655b5cc9270.jpg

• Upvote 2

So the wings were nice and crispy, but as it was my first effort with the sauce, I'm not sure the quantities were quite right...definitely still very nice though, will make again.

We went with a whole bottle of franks and I guess it was about 50-75g butter.  Everything else was roughly a teaspoon or so (obviously the amount of cayenne depends on how hot you like it).  Probably could have put more butter in but my heart was scared.

I've tried to make Buffalo sauce in the past and can never get it as good as store bought. I could drink the stuff. Crispy wings are definitely the way to go. Did you serve it with blue cheese dipping sauce and carrots/celery sticks?

I made peanut butter this wknd. My girlfriend and I intended on making some for a cheap christmas present and never got round to it. Maple and bacon was this wknd's flavour, we're gonna make a bunch with different flavour combos, this was a test run. It was delicious.

I've tried to make Buffalo sauce in the past and can never get it as good as store bought. I could drink the stuff. Crispy wings are definitely the way to go. Did you serve it with blue cheese dipping sauce and carrots/celery sticks?

I made peanut butter this wknd. My girlfriend and I intended on making some for a cheap christmas present and never got round to it. Maple and bacon was this wknd's flavour, we're gonna make a bunch with different flavour combos, this was a test run. It was delicious.

wait a fucking minute here.... maple and bacon peanut butter!?  it's like the last days of sodom.  christ.

i really want to try that.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Jamie Olivers new food gaff. It's good! Despite it being Italian, I had the most un-Italian option possible. Started with the "Italian Nachos" which was essentially crispy ravioli stuffed with pumpkin and mozzarella and some bang tidy tomato dip. Very good.

I was gonna get the sausage pasta for my main, but I saw someone with the Italian Steak burger, and couldn't resist. It was one of the best burgers I've had. Huge.

535472_10151768240557571_696614857_n.jpg

No time for plates, it arrives on a plank of wood. Mortadella ham, onions, the biggest tomato on earth. It also had massive chilli peppers in there, so it was pretty fiery, though the giant slab of mozzarella worked well against it. The "funky chips" were seasoned with shredded garlic and parsley. Blimey, so good.

Shared some Chocolate pot for pudding. Mega. Decent cocktails too, and coffee.

The missus had a more Italian baked chestnut mushrooms with mozzarella and garlic, and a Tagliatelle Bolognese. All of it was the bomb!

So yeah. Go there.

• Upvote 1

We went there last Sunday and while the food we did actually get was pretty good/well presented etc they were out of 3 of the mains we ordered and two of the puds. Left a little bit of a tarnish for me.

Standard problem with a newly opened restaurant though - they can never tell what's going to be popular in advance.

xx

How the fuck are you supposed to eat that!?

It's all on a skewer, or whatever those sticks that keep burgers together are called. I just took it out and gave it a bit of a press. Still huge. I had to cut it in half, which is like admitting you're only half a man in public.

Shame they were out of so many options for you Phil. In a way it can be excused for being a new restaurant, but it's the exact same menu in all his other places, so you'd think they'd be able to gauge from that how popular certain dishes are.

My only critique was that it was all a bit to cosy. Tables were very close together. The grub and drinks were top though.