aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

As a recent convert to vegetarianism, I've been experimenting with meat free versions of my favourite recipes. I converted my chicken risotto recipe to a vegetarian version last night, Roast butternut squash and sage risotto with pine nuts. It was unreal.

You will need:

1 squash
4 cloves garlic
2 pints vegetable stock
Sage (fresh or dried, fresh is better)
Thyme
350g risotto rice
pinenuts
Parmesan cheese (not entirely vegetarian, but what the fuck)
1 glass white wine (or a splash of sherry)
Olive oil
salt & pepper
2 small onions

1 - Chop the squash into large chunks. Put in a oven dish and coat with olive oil. Sprinkle over some sage and some thyme. Crush the garlic and sprinkle this over too. Put in the oven for about 45 minutes.
2 - Chop the onions and the rest of the garlic. Fry for 10 minutes until soft.
3 - Tip in the risotto rice. Coat it in olive oil and fry for a few minutes.
4 - Pour in the wine and add about 1/5th of the stock. Wait for the rice to soak up all the stock. Add another 5th and wait for the rice to soak this up too. Do this over a medium heat and keep stirring. Repeat this until all the stock is gone and the rice is soft. This should take about 20-25 minutes.
5 - Add a generous sprinkling of sage. Stir it through.
6 - Stir through the chunks of roasted butternut squash.
7 - Toast the pine nuts in a hot, dry frying pan.
8 - Stir through a good handful of grated parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
9 - Spoon onto plates and sprinkle the toasted pinenuts over it.

As a recent convert to vegetarianism, I've been experimenting with meat free versions of my favourite recipes. I converted my chicken risotto recipe to a vegetarian version last night, Roast butternut squash and sage risotto with pine nuts. It was unreal.

You will need:

1 squash

4 cloves garlic

2 pints vegetable stock

Sage (fresh or dried, fresh is better)

Thyme

350g risotto rice

pinenuts

Parmesan cheese (not entirely vegetarian, but what the fuck)

1 glass white wine (or a splash of sherry)

Olive oil

salt & pepper

2 small onions

1 - Chop the squash into large chunks. Put in a oven dish and coat with olive oil. Sprinkle over some sage and some thyme. Crush the garlic and sprinkle this over too. Put in the oven for about 45 minutes.

2 - Chop the onions and the rest of the garlic. Fry for 10 minutes until soft.

3 - Tip in the risotto rice. Coat it in olive oil and fry for a few minutes.

4 - Pour in the wine and add about 1/5th of the stock. Wait for the rice to soak up all the stock. Add another 5th and wait for the rice to soak this up too. Do this over a medium heat and keep stirring. Repeat this until all the stock is gone and the rice is soft. This should take about 20-25 minutes.

5 - Add a generous sprinkling of sage. Stir it through.

6 - Stir through the chunks of roasted butternut squash.

7 - Toast the pine nuts in a hot, dry frying pan.

8 - Stir through a good handful of grated parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.

9 - Spoon onto plates and sprinkle the toasted pinenuts over it.

Risotto is ace.  So easy and the basic method can be customised really simply to whatever flavour you want (though I strongly advice against any impulse to stir in haggis... I know from experience).

Seeing as you've used a second pan for the pine nuts you might as well pour a bit of oil in it and lightly fry a couple of sage leaves for a few seconds until they crisp up.  Adds a nice tasty crunch onto the top of risotto.

Also you should be careful with frying onion and garlic at the same time.  Much better adding the garlic once the onion has softened otherwise it can burn and turn very bitter.

I made some hotwings the other night, but instead of wings, I used massive, bulging thighs and drumsticks, to see how it turned out. I thought "what could be better than a giant hotwing?". Turns out, size ain't all o' that. With wings, you get the perfect ratio of meat to skin. Once you bite into a thigh, as soon as you're past the hotwing sauce, the ratio of chicken is all wrong. There's too much of it. Kind of takes over the effect of the sauce. They were still good because chicken is great and all that, but, I wouldn't do it again. I'd rather stick to making  a breadcrumb coating for the bigger limbs.

This story was brought to you by Cool, Bro

What's your recipe for the wings?  I want some hot wing action.

Risotto is ace.  So easy and the basic method can be customised really simply to whatever flavour you want (though I strongly advice against any impulse to stir in haggis... I know from experience).

Seeing as you've used a second pan for the pine nuts you might as well pour a bit of oil in it and lightly fry a couple of sage leaves for a few seconds until they crisp up.  Adds a nice tasty crunch onto the top of risotto.

Also you should be careful with frying onion and garlic at the same time.  Much better adding the garlic once the onion has softened otherwise it can burn and turn very bitter.

Good tips. Thanks :)

My Sauce For Wings As Of Last Week: put a fuckload of your favourite hot pepper sauce in a bowl, melt up some butter and throw it in along with smoked paprika, cayenne, white vinegar and some dark brown sugar.

I sometimes throw in some lime juice as well, I think it works but it might be taking things too far. I don't know.

That's my recipe too, except I don't usually use brown sugar, and I've not used lime juice either. I like both of those things though, so I should try it.

I don't usually marinade either. I usually roll the wings in a mix of flour, more cayenne pepper, ground garlic and paprika, so the skin goes crispy and ever so slightly breaded. It gives the hot sauce more to soak into, so you get more sauce, and more heat. Crispy chicken skin is so great too. I just brush on the sauce once done, and then have at them.

• Upvote 2

Recipe please.

Here you go Adam .... simple but well tasty :

Smoked Haddock & Prawn Paella

2 tsp Olive Oil

1 Medium Onion, finely chopped

2 Garlic Cloves, crushed

5 Saffron Strands

1 Red Pepper, deseeded & diced

225g (8oz) Arborio Risotto Rice

850ml (1.1/2 pints) Fish or Vegetable Stock

125g (4.1/2 oz) frozen Garden Peas

225g (8oz) skinless Smoked Haddock fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces

125g (4.1/2oz) Peeled Prawns

2Tbsp fresh chopped Parsley

Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper

Method:

Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion and garlic, cook over a low heat, stirring until onion has softened, but not browned.

Place the Saffron in a small dish and cover with 2 tablespoons of boiling water, leave to stand, so saffron infuses and colours the water a bright yellow.

Add the Red Pepper and Rice to the pan, saute slightly for 2 mins, then add the saffron and its soaking liquid, then add all the stock, Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins, stirring every so often, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.

Add the frozen peas and Smoked Haddock pieces, and continue cooking for 5 mins .... Toss in the Prawns and Parsley, season with salt & pepper to taste, and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes until piping hot .

Serve ...... Eat and Enjoy

:)

• Upvote 2