aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Oh what? Personally I wouldn't use any better quality real ale type beers as the taste is too strong but at the same time out of the more bog standard beers there aren't many with a slightly stronger taste so I prefer Becks. This ain't a beer thread...

Right fucking on.

Beer elitism sucks. Especially in a food thread.

Oh what? Personally I wouldn't use any better quality real ale type beers as the taste is too strong but at the same time out of the more bog standard beers there aren't many with a slightly stronger taste so I prefer Becks. This ain't a beer thread...

I'm no beer snob but i wouldnt put a lager like that in food, you need something darker man, I mainly drink tennants so i'm no snob.

I'm no beer snob but i wouldnt put a lager like that in food, you need something darker man, I mainly drink tennants so i'm no snob.

I've experimented with a few that have been knocking about the house - Budweiser, Corona, I think I even tried Tennents at one point (definite LOL) - Becks is my personal favourite for the purpose. Then again I actually like Becks in any case...

I've experimented with a few that have been knocking about the house - Budweiser, Corona, I think I even tried Tennents at one point (definite LOL) - Becks is my personal favourite for the purpose. Then again I actually like Becks in any case...
Yeah your right, it's down to indivisual taste. Just because I don't like it doesnt mean you have to dislike it too. I have bad memories of Becks.

i think the problem is describing becks as stronger in taste to 5am saint, which is odd. 5am saint i find to have a stronger flavour than becks and matches beef really well, so i use it in my chilli. becks is a fine refreshing beer mind you, and goes well with spicy food or just as a stock fridge filler for opening when you get home from work or just want to drink a few while yapping shite or watching telly.

there is room for some beer snobbery - at least you didn't say tennents or carling.

• Upvote 1

I used 5AM Saint in a steak marinade not so long ago. The darker taste matched the meat well. It was so great.

I'm not so fond of Becks in any case. It's a bit too fizzy. For standard lager, Heineken is my tipple.

I'm not one for beer brand snobbery, but beer temperature snobbery is fair game. Put it in the fridge, and have your fridge set to be as cold as possibly can be. When I buy beer I'll be drinking very shortly, I usually bung it in the freezer for an hour so it's as cold as the north sea at Christmas. Anything warmer is unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

I used 5AM Saint in a steak marinade not so long ago. The darker taste matched the meat well. It was so great.

I'm not so fond of Becks in any case. It's a bit too fizzy. For standard lager, Heineken is my tipple.

I'm not one for beer brand snobbery, but beer temperature snobbery is fair game. Put it in the fridge, and have your fridge set to be as cold as possibly can be. When I buy beer I'll be drinking very shortly, I usually bung it in the freezer for an hour so it's as cold as the north sea at Christmas. Anything warmer is unacceptable.

temperature is a flavour killer though. I like some beer cold and some beer cool. Depends on what i'm drinking.

i think the problem is describing becks as stronger in taste to 5am saint, which is odd. 5am saint i find to have a stronger flavour than becks and matches beef really well, so i use it in my chilli. becks is a fine refreshing beer mind you, and goes well with spicy food or just as a stock fridge filler for opening when you get home from work or just want to drink a few while yapping shite or watching telly.

there is room for some beer snobbery - at least you didn't say tennents or carling.

I didn't actually intend to be saying Becks was stronger than 5am Saint, I just stated that I preferred to use a stronger tasting bog standard beer. The fact Gypsum mentioned 5am Saint has confused matters.

I like lager to be as cold as possible. Becks was always my tipple of choice as I never liked pints in my youth but one time on a crap holiday in Spain I couldn't get it so I was drinking Budweiser all holiday which was awesome since it was icey cold everywhere due to aceic fridges. When I got back home and tried drinking it it was back to the usual where it has a horrible thick foam in the neck like an elephant has jizzed in it. Fridge just restocked Budweiser must be the worst.

Budvar however is awesome. Although it goes right to my head....

I can't be arsed with beer snobbery, everyone is free to like what they like. I like the odd real ale but couldn't drink it all night, for me it's more of a single drink in evening thing, unless I go to a beer festival then I just nuckle down. And usually feel a tad queasy after several.

• 2 weeks later...

I made some hotwings the other night, but instead of wings, I used massive, bulging thighs and drumsticks, to see how it turned out. I thought "what could be better than a giant hotwing?". Turns out, size ain't all o' that. With wings, you get the perfect ratio of meat to skin. Once you bite into a thigh, as soon as you're past the hotwing sauce, the ratio of chicken is all wrong. There's too much of it. Kind of takes over the effect of the sauce. They were still good because chicken is great and all that, but, I wouldn't do it again. I'd rather stick to making  a breadcrumb coating for the bigger limbs.

This story was brought to you by Cool, Bro