aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

• 1 month later...

Back to sharing recipes:

I rustled up some smoked mackerel fishcakes last night. The recipe is really simple but I might try and add a few things next time to jazz it up a little. It also said prep time 30 minutes, cooking time 10 minutes, but I spent the guts of two hours making it along with some roasted vegetables, so that's a lie.

Ingredients:

400g potatoes

2 eggs

15g flat leaf parsley

2-3 teaspoons of horseradish, depending on how much you like horseradish. I put 4 in but they came out very horseradishy and it overpowered the taste of the fish.

3 smoked mackerel fillets (boneless)

Flour

Salt & pepper

1 - First, boil the potatoes and hard-boil 2 of the eggs.

2 - Mash the potatoes (I used milk and real butter to make it nice and creamy). Shell the 2 eggs and seperate the white and the yolk. Dice the white finely and crush the yolks down to the consistency of breadcrumbs.

3 - Put the potatoes, the egg whites, the yolks, and the horseradish into a big mixing bowl. Chop the parsley and add that. Mix it all through.

4 - Chop / flake the fish and add it to the bowl. Mix it all through and season. Beat the other 2 eggs into a separate bowl.

5 - Separate the fish mixture into 8 balls (about the size of a pool ball). Roll the balls in the flour, coating completely. Then, dip them in the egg, and back into the flour. (This is messy). Make sure they're completely coated.

6 - Flatten into patties and fry on a high heat for 3-4 minutes each side. Use quite a lot of oil to get them nice and crispy.

I served it with roasted butternut squash roasted with olive oil, garlic, pepper and a hint of chili powder. It went well.

• Upvote 1

Still playing with this recipe a little bit, but it's tasty, quick and easy for a weeknight. The sauce is a little thin, and it could do with a wee splash of white wine in it I think.

Spanish Chicken

Feeds 3

Ingredients

3 chicken breasts

½ cup plain flour

100g pancetta

½ onion

½ red pepper

1 small courgette

6 tomatoes

4 cloves garlic

¾ pint chicken stock

2 teaspoons mild chilli powder

White rice

Thyme

Salt and pepper

Method

1 – Dredge the chicken in flour to evenly coat. Brown the chicken in a frying pan for 2 minutes each side.

2 – Set the chicken aside. Chop the onion, courgette, red pepper, tomatoes and garlic and fry along with the pancetta until the onions are tender. Pour in the chicken stock, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.

3 – Add the chicken to the pan. Add the chili powder, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover, and continue cooking for 15 minutes over a low heat or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with rice.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=808&filename=j0kwg.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Last time I made this I ruined it so bad it was inedible, and I had to throw the pan out. Catalogue of disasters.

For all you soup lovers ...... (my god, it's really fine)

Butternut Squash & Red Pepper Soup

(Serves 4)

(Soup can be frozen)

1 Tbsp Vegetable/Olive Oil

1 Medium Butternut Squash (deseeded, peeled & diced)

2 Medium Red Peppers (deseeded & diced)

1 Medium Onion (peeled & finely chopped)

2 Garlic Cloves (peeled and crushed)

1 tsp Mixed Herbs

1.1/2 Pints Vegetable Stock (Use 2 stock cubes)

1 200g Tub of Philadelphia Soft Cheese (Plain or Garlic&Herb)

Salt & Ground Black Pepper

Heat oil in large lidded saucepan and saute the onion & garlic untill soft and slightly brown.

Add Red Peppers and Butternut Squash cubes, and stir fry for approx 2 mins.

Add mixed herbs and cook for a few more minutes, then add Vegetable stock, bring to the boil, reduce heat, then cover & simmer over a medium heat for 25 minutes or until peppers & squash are soft cooked.

Add Salt & Black pepper to taste .....

Carefully blend soup in a blender/food processor until nice and smooth (be careful, soup is very hot)

Spoon into soup the Soft Cheese and stir in until cheese is incorporated.

Serve into warmed bowls.

Great with warm crusty buttered bread !

• Upvote 1

We should turn this thread into 'what did you eat last?'

Me? ... A poppy seed bagel with peanut butter. Bog standard bagel, above average peanut butter which had been nicely chilled. 6.5/10

What we had, just 25 mins ago !!

..... Gino D'Acampo's really fine "Stuffed Crepes with Pork,Tomato & Parmesan" from his "I" Diet Book .....

01092012260.jpg

(with some excellent Tim Horton's filter coffee in the background ... :))

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I knocked together a Chicken Foo Yung tonight (Chinese omelette, essentially), and egg fried rice on the side. It was a lot of egg but it was bang on.

FOO YUNG

2 Chicken Breasts (cut into strips)

6 Eggs (beaten)

1 Onion (diced)

1 handful Bean sprouts

1 handful Mushrooms (chopped)

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

2 tbsp soy sauce

Directions:

1 - Heat the oil in a wok.

2 - Stir-fry the chicken until lightly brown.

3 - Add onions, mushrooms, and bean sprouts, soy sauce, chili flakes and salt.

4 - Fry for 5 minutes.

5 - Add the beaten eggs.

6 - Stir occasionally while the mixture sets.

Egg Fried Rice

1 egg

1/2 onion

2 tsp sesame oil

200g/7oz long-grain rice (uncooked weight), pre-cooked and left to go cold

handful frozen peas, defrosted

Soy sauce

Method

1 - Beat together the egg and sesame oil and put to one side.

2 - Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the rice and onion and stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes until completely heated through.

3 - Add the peas. Stir-fry, turning the rice constantly around the pan, for about 3 minutes. Season well with soy sauce and pepper

4 - Push this to one side of the pan. Pour the beaten egg mixture into the other side and leave for about 10 seconds so it begins to set. Toss the rice around in the egg.

I also made this stonker of a coffee cake the other night. Fucking HAVE IT.

223803_10151036791955382_1716961233_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

G

I knocked together a Chicken Foo Yung tonight (Chinese omelette, essentially), and egg fried rice on the side. It was a lot of egg but it was bang on.

FOO YUNG

2 Chicken Breasts (cut into strips)

6 Eggs (beaten)

1 Onion (diced)

1 handful Bean sprouts

1 handful Mushrooms (chopped)

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

2 tbsp soy sauce

Directions:

1 - Heat the oil in a wok.

2 - Stir-fry the chicken until lightly brown.

3 - Add onions, mushrooms, and bean sprouts, soy sauce, chili flakes and salt.

4 - Fry for 5 minutes.

5 - Add the beaten eggs.

6 - Stir occasionally while the mixture sets.

Egg Fried Rice

1 egg

1/2 onion

2 tsp sesame oil

200g/7oz long-grain rice (uncooked weight), pre-cooked and left to go cold

handful frozen peas, defrosted

Soy sauce

Method

1 - Beat together the egg and sesame oil and put to one side.

2 - Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the rice and onion and stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes until completely heated through.

3 - Add the peas. Stir-fry, turning the rice constantly around the pan, for about 3 minutes. Season well with soy sauce and pepper

4 - Push this to one side of the pan. Pour the beaten egg mixture into the other side and leave for about 10 seconds so it begins to set. Toss the rice around in the egg.

I also made this stonker of a coffee cake the other night. Fucking HAVE IT.

223803_10151036791955382_1716961233_n.jpg

Cake recipe please.