aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Delicious apple and blackberry crumble.

Never realised how easy this shit is to make.

I loosely followed this recipe but changed a lot of the quantities as I had loooooooads of apples.

2kg apples, peeled and cored. Cut them into chunks and bash them into a large saucepan. Add 3 cups of water and a lot of sugar. Boil it until it's mushy, like the texture of apple sauce. Taste it. If it's not sweet enough, add more sugar. Once it's done, stir in the blackberries, a couple of spoons of cinnamon, and spoon it into casserole dishes.

For the topping, mix 500g plain flour with 225g of butter. Mush it up with your hands until it's like breadcrumbs. Add 250g demerara sugar. Spread it over the fruit, flatten it so it's even and get it into all the edges. Bang it in the oven for 30 minutes. Done. Fruity goodness. Serve with lovely custard.

hm9c.jpg

Tonight, we're going to make Ploughman Burgers, by stuffing branston pickle and grated cheese into the mincemeat before mashing them into patties. I don't know what sort of success it will bring, and we don't have a recipe or guideline, but considering I like meat, cheese and branston pickle, it should probably turn out great.

Tonight, we're going to make Ploughman Burgers, by stuffing branston pickle and grated cheese into the mincemeat before mashing them into patties. I don't know what sort of success it will bring, and we don't have a recipe or guideline, but considering I like meat, cheese and branston pickle, it should probably turn out great.

I tried this once before with sun-dried tomatoes or something, and fucked it right up. I recall not dicing the tomatoes finely enough, and having huge chunks to contend with. Also the burgers just fell to bits in the pan.

Yeah, mine always fall to bits if I fry. Grilling seems to bring better results.

Do you make the burgers and then put them straight in the frying pan? Might want to try sticking them in the fridge for ten or twenty minutes if you do. Otherwise just make sure you press them together enough and they shouldn't fall apart.

Ploughmans Burgers!

I'll try to be a specific as I can remember with the measurements (Disclaimer: Weightwatchers cheese was on sale. It also melts good because it's not very fatty)

001.jpg

Mince, Branston, Cheese.

002.jpg

Punch a hole into the middle of a fuckload of mince, and pour in a few man-sized dollops of Branston. More if you're hard. Less if you're gay.

004.jpg

Lob it around a bit until it's all mixed in.

005.jpg

Punch a hole in your Mince and Branston. Fill your fist full of cheese. Throw cheese in. Put in more cheese, because a fist isn't enough.

007.jpg

Throw it all together until cheese and pickle stops falling out of it.

011.jpg

Shape them into round slabs roughly twice the size of regular burgers.

013.jpg

Cook them, idiot.

015.jpg

Stop cooking them.

017.jpg

Get in my gob.

• 4 weeks later...

The missis bought a slow cooker a few weeks ago. A few weeks ago, I could have never comprehended something taking longer being better because I'm horribly impatient. Slow cooked food is the bomb though. We had a joint of beef on Sunday which we cooked all day, and it was glorious. Didn't even need to carve it. It just fell apart. Had it with as many Yorkshire Puddings we could fit on the plate. Proper Yorkies too. Not frozen ones. I'm not a hideous cunt who buys frozen Yorkies. Unforgivable that.

• 2 months later...

We haven't had a post in here for a while..... so thought some of you might like to try these two recipes..... so f*ckin' yummy.....

Sizzled Chicken with Parsley Mash

Serves 4 (400 Cals per serving)

Prep time 20mins

Cooking time 35mins

(please note tsp=teaspoon... Tbsp=Tablespoon)

Ingredients

25g (1 oz) Plain Flour

2 tsp Dried Sage

450g (1 lb) Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast (cut into chunks)

2 Tbsp Vegtable Oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)

4 Garlic Cloves (finely sliced)

1 Large Onion (Sliced, NOT chopped)

2 - 3 Eating Apples (cored, unpeeled, cut into mediun sized wedges)

1 Chicken Stock cube disolved in 150ml (1/4 pint) of hot water

150ml (1/4 pint) of Unsweetened Apple Juice

125g (4.1/2oz) Mushrooms (sliced) (we use chestnut mushrooms)

For the Mashed Potatoe.....

700g (1 lb 9oz) Potatoes (cut into chunks)

4 Tbsp Semi-Skimmed Milk

2 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Parsley

1 knob of Butter or Margarine

Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to your taste)

(Reserve small amount of chopped parsley to garnish dish)

Method

1. Sprinkle the flour and dried sage onto a plate and add salt & pepper to taste, roll the chicken chunks in this mixture to fully coat the chicken

2. Heat the oil in a large non-stck saucepan and add the chicken chunks, cooking over a medium heat until lightly browned on all sides.... then add the garlic, onion slices and apple wedges, and saute' for about 3 minutes.

3. Add the stock and apple juice, bring to the boil, then cover and cook over a LOW heat for 20 - 25 minutes..... adding the mushrooms after approx 15 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in slightly salted water, until tender, mash well, using the milk & butter/margarine..... add the parsley, strring well, season with salt & pepper....

Serve with the chicken, garnishing the dish with a little of the fresh parsley !

(Variations.... use Garlic & Herb or Onion & Chive in the Mashed Potatoe)

Enjoy

and.....

Lemon Chicken with Leeks & Risotto Rice

Serves 4 (350 Cals per serving)

Prep time 15mins

Cooking time 30mins

(please note tsp=teaspoon... Tbsp=Tablespoon)

Ingredients

2 Tbsp Olive Oil

1 - 2 Leeks (rinsed and finely chopped)

125g (4.1/2ozs) Risotto Rice

1 Chicken stock cube (disolved in 600ml (1 pint) hot water)

2 Tbsp Plain Flour

1 tsp Ground Ginger

Finely grated zest of 1 Lemon (when grated... squeeze for juice and set aside)

4 Medium, skinless, boneless Chicken Breasts

2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce

50g Frozen Garden Peas

Salt & Freshly ground Black Pepper

To serve.....

Lemon Slices

Fresh Herbs (optional)

Method

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the Leeks & Rice. Saute' gently, stirring until the rice looks translucent (about 3 mins) Add the stock, one ladleful at a time, allowing the rice to absorb the liquid before adding the next ladleful....continue doing this until almost all the stock is absorbed.

2. Meanwhile, mix together the flour, ginger and Lemon zest and season with salt & pepper. Roll the chicken breasts in this mixture.

3. Pre-heat the Grill..... Mix together the Lemon Juice and Soy Sauce... Arrange the chicken breasts on the grill pan and brush with the Lemon/Soy mixture... Grill under a medium heat for approx 8 mins each side (brush on more Lemon/Soy mixture as required)

4. Check that the Rice is cooked...it should be creamy and tender, add the Peas and cook for 2 - 3 mins more, to cook them through.

5. Pile the Rice onto warmed plates and arrange the chicken breasts on top. Garnish with Lemon slices and Herbs (if using)

then serve.....

(Note.... Make sure you use genuine Risotto rice for the best results... Long Grain Rice does NOT work as it does not absorb enough liquid to become soft & creamy)

let me know if you make them and if you liked em'.....

:up:

The missis bought a slow cooker a few weeks ago. A few weeks ago, I could have never comprehended something taking longer being better because I'm horribly impatient. Slow cooked food is the bomb though. We had a joint of beef on Sunday which we cooked all day, and it was glorious. Didn't even need to carve it. It just fell apart. Had it with as many Yorkshire Puddings we could fit on the plate. Proper Yorkies too. Not frozen ones. I'm not a hideous cunt who buys frozen Yorkies. Unforgivable that.

I got my mum's old relic passed on and it's ace...I am sure they are making a come back as I have ear loads of people getting them recently!

I also did a roast beef dinner which was awesome, added oxo, red wine, worcester and black pepper to the water while it cooked away to a melt in your mouth mass of beefiness :) I sliced and added back into the now gravy at the end before serving YUM! I also got my mums yorkie pus recipe which I tried for the first time and was so chuffed when it worked...om nom indeed

• 1 month later...

we've got allotments at my work and someone gave me some fresh pak choi yesterday. not really knowing what to do i thought i'd steam it and make little pak choi parcels full of prawns and bacon. it was awesome!

i fried the prawns and bacon together in a teaspoon of tom yum paste, a wee sprinkle of ground coriander and some all spice. then put dollops of them on the pak choi leaves and folded them over. it's awesome! so fecking tasty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The International Food Festival is back this weekend. I've never actually been before.

Anyone got any recommendations on decent stuff to pick up? I'm tempted to pick up a few Chorizo sausages or the like and make a fine sausage pasta mix.

The International Food Festival is back this weekend. I've never actually been before.

Anyone got any recommendations on decent stuff to pick up? I'm tempted to pick up a few Chorizo sausages or the like and make a fine sausage pasta mix.

I don't know about sourcing ingredients but I always buy food to eat there. The german sausage stand is amazing. As is the burger place that does stuff like kangaroo burgers.

some nice ornaments and knick knacks there too. And a hooring load of cheeses.

A wheel of cheese.

And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.

Nipped down for a quick half hour over lunch just now. There's a particularly fine Chilli cheese I sampled, not sure I could cope with a lot of it though.

The Oriental Noodles stand looked amazing.