aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Just started learning to cook and so far so good.

So far I've made:

Chilli (what a piece of piss that was, although it went a bit tits up when I realised I'd forgot the kidney beans!)

Lasange

Chicken Curry

Pretty basic stuff I know but it's a start, I'm not the most confident in the kitchen.

Any suggestions on fairly simple recipes to keep me going?

Moroccan Meatballs

serve 4 ready in 40 mins

1 onion chopped

1 clove garlic crushed

4 tbsp sunflower oil

1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika (cud use chilli)

450g minced lamb

400g can chopped tomatoes

300ml veg stock

grated rind 1 lemon

handful fresh coriander

fry onion + garlic in 2 tbsp oil for 4 mins, sitr in the spices and cook for 1 min. cool. mix half the mixture with the lamb n shape into 24 meatballs. fry the meatballs in remaining oil until brown. set aside. add the remaining onion mix to the pan with the tomatoes and stock, return meatballs and simmer for 30 mins, stir in lemon rind and coriander. serve with cous cous yummy!!!

Lime Chilli Prawns

50ml Lime Juice

1/2 Tbsp Hot chilli sauce

1 tbsp freshly grated ginger

2 garlic cloves, crushed

2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp runny honey

24 raw unpeeled tiger prawns

4 limes cut into wedges

You will also need 12 pre soaked wooden skewers

Combine the lime juice, chilli sauce, ginger, garlic, coriander, soy sauce and honey with prawns, cover with clingfilm and put in fridge for 30 mins.

Thread 2 prawns onto each skewer intersected by lime segments. grill for 3 mins per side.

Perfect for bbq or just under the grill

Great with chicken instead of prawns too ?

So far I've made:

Chilli (what a piece of piss that was, although it went a bit tits up when I realised I'd forgot the kidney beans!)

Lasange

Chicken Curry

Pretty basic stuff I know but it's a start, I'm not the most confident in the kitchen.

What you've actually done there is improve the chilli by about 1000000%.

Kidney beans :puke:

Burgers, there's a few recipes in this thread if you skim through it (or use the search thread function). Very easy. Also stews and casseroles give you great results for little effort. Good for building confidence when you're starting to cook.

Actually just go back to the start of this thread and flick through it until you see something you like, there's a lot of recipes been posted in it.

I'd suggest if you're starting out go and have a browse in the recipe books in Waterstones and pick up one you like the look of and just try working through some of the recipes you fancy.

BBC Good Food is also an awesome gold mine for ideas:

Recipes - 5000 tried and tested recipes... - BBC Good Food

So far I've made:

Lasange

Chicken Curry

That one I just posted about the salmon take about 10min from start to finish..easy! No fancy cooking times or anything.

Burgers, there's a few recipes in this thread if you skim through it (or use the search thread function). Very easy. Also stews and casseroles give you great results for little effort. Good for building confidence when you're starting to cook.

Actually just go back to the start of this thread and flick through it until you see something you like, there's a lot of recipes been posted in it.

I'd suggest if you're starting out go and have a browse in the recipe books in Waterstones and pick up one you like the look of and just try working through some of the recipes you fancy.

BBC Good Food is also an awesome gold mine for ideas:

Recipes - 5000 tried and tested recipes... - BBC Good Food

Cheers, I'll have a look back through in more detail. Didn't know about the BBC site so i'll check that out too.

That one I just posted about the salmon take about 10min from start to finish..easy! No fancy cooking times or anything.

Not a huge lover of fish dishes but I'll take a note of it.

Moroccan Meatballs

serve 4 ready in 40 mins

1 onion chopped

1 clove garlic crushed

4 tbsp sunflower oil

1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika (cud use chilli)

450g minced lamb

400g can chopped tomatoes

300ml veg stock

grated rind 1 lemon

handful fresh coriander

fry onion + garlic in 2 tbsp oil for 4 mins, sitr in the spices and cook for 1 min. cool. mix half the mixture with the lamb n shape into 24 meatballs. fry the meatballs in remaining oil until brown. set aside. add the remaining onion mix to the pan with the tomatoes and stock, return meatballs and simmer for 30 mins, stir in lemon rind and coriander. serve with cous cous yummy!!!

This sounds within my limits and I think I have everything except the lamb so might give it a go on Sunday.

What you've actually done there is improve the chilli by about 1000000%.

Kidney beans :puke:

I improvised with baked beans, wasn't the same!

Ok, I'd be interested to know if anyone makes that lovely local dish....Stovies. If you do, what is your secret recipe that makes it better than School dinners.:up:

1 onion

4 to 6 small to medium size tatties (maris pipers or similar)

500ml Beef stock

left over roast or boiled beef (a packet of cold beef from the supermarket is acceptable, corned beef is not)

Slice the onion and gently fry in the bottom of a large pot with lots of oil until soft.

Roughly slice the tatties so you've got lots of different size chunks and then add them to the pot so it covers the onions.

Rip up chunks of beef and throw it in, season (plenty of pepper) then give everything a stir and add the stock. Cover and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. After a while it'll all thicken up nicely to a stovies consistency. I chuck in some chopped parsely at this point then serve it up with good, thick oatcakes.

Think last time I made it I threw a bay leaf in as well just for some more flavour.

This isn't the stovies I grew up with, we were a white stovies (pretty much mash made with lots of milk and beef) household so my Mum and Dad sneer at this recipe but I really prefer it.

1 onion

4 to 6 small to medium size tatties (maris pipers or similar)

500ml Beef stock

left over roast or boiled beef (a packet of cold beef from the supermarket is acceptable, corned beef is not)

Slice the onion and gently fry in the bottom of a large pot with lots of oil until soft.

Roughly slice the tatties so you've got lots of different size chunks and then add them to the pot so it covers the onions.

Rip up chunks of beef and throw it in, season (plenty of pepper) then give everything a stir and add the stock. Cover and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. After a while it'll all thicken up nicely to a stovies consistency. I chuck in some chopped parsely at this point then serve it up with good, thick oatcakes.

Think last time I made it I threw a bay leaf in as well just for some more flavour.

This isn't the stovies I grew up with, we were a white stovies (pretty much mash made with lots of milk and beef) household so my Mum and Dad sneer at this recipe but I really prefer it.

Don't forget plenty of beetroot NOM!

i use chris' recipe but i parboil my tatties first cause i find they soak up the stock a bit better that way and consequently break up a bit more. you can use any meat or extra you like as stovies get their name from the way you're cooking the tatties, on the stove in stock. beef is best though, and only weirdos use corned beef.

the key is frying the onions first. i'm gonna make some stovies and add markies caramelised red onion relish soon i think, we decided it makes any dish 67% better. i heard that musa did duck stovies with brewdogs hardcoreipa in the stock, that sounds worth trying too.

anyone else had the stovies at maryculter house? they weirdly lack in flavour or seasoning, and taste a little of ketchup. i spoke to a lady who does stovies at catering events and she said she'd had words with the staff there and her mum had actually stormed into the kitchen to tell them how to make proper stovies! we take it seriously round these parts! :)

Guest Bob Knob
i use chris' recipe but i parboil my tatties first cause i find they soak up the stock a bit better that way and consequently break up a bit more. you can use any meat or extra you like as stovies get their name from the way you're cooking the tatties, on the stove in stock. beef is best though, and only weirdos use corned beef.

the key is frying the onions first. i'm gonna make some stovies and add markies caramelised red onion relish soon i think, we decided it makes any dish 67% better. i heard that musa did duck stovies with brewdogs hardcoreipa in the stock, that sounds worth trying too.

anyone else had the stovies at maryculter house? they weirdly lack in flavour or seasoning, and taste a little of ketchup. i spoke to a lady who does stovies at catering events and she said she'd had words with the staff there and her mum had actually stormed into the kitchen to tell them how to make proper stovies! we take it seriously round these parts! :)

lbritain2main_070124041506397_wideweb__300x456.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
That new place on George Street, Mother Tuckerz - If you want a sandwich with fresh, good quality ingredients, bread that isn't as chewy as bubblegum and dry like sand, and made so the filling doesn't fall out of the bread, and all over your lap - Go somewhere else.

The tomato tastes days old. I'm a right tomato snob and I get a bit arsey about freshness, but this must have been cut many days ago. Innards had dried, and the flesh had gone soggy. The ham is squares of ham like you get in Dairylea lunchables. They don't have Mayo or any kind of dressing, other than ketchup or salsa. No butter either. Margerine. Who the fuck uses margerine? She microwaved the baguette for 30 seconds before preparing it too, so it was stiff and chewy. You only do that if bread is starting to go a bit stale...

That was the worst lunch I've had since that day when I had nothing for lunch.

Mother Tucker is a "popular lady" careful she doesn't put a contract out on you, check out The Blog of Andy G: A comment from a Mother Tuckerz customer.

• 3 weeks later...
Mmmm... can i have a recipe for that please?

No problem!

Serves 2

1 onion, sliced

1 red pepper

150g chorizo

200g long grain rice

500ml chicken stock

140g cooked king prawns

Frozen peas

Pinch of saffron

Paprika

1 lemon

Chopped parsley

Tabasco

Cut the pepper into big pieces (about 2-3 cm in size) and gently fry it in olive oil along with the onion in a large pan until theyre soft.

Meanwhile add the saffron into the chicken stock and let it infuse.

Add the chorizo and cook for a few more minutes until the theres a good layer of chorizo oil in the pan thats colouring the onion and pepper.

Put the rice into the pan then stir it around to absorb the oil.

Quickly pour in the stock and the paprika, stir, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid.

Throw in the prawns and peas and stir them through until hot.

Finish it off with a good squeeze of lemon juice, a handful of chopped parsley and a dash of tabasco.

I started a new blog this week so I can make a note of these recipes and keep them in one place. It should also force me to take some pictures of them which this thread sorely lacks!

Mince and Skirlie

Chicken a la garlic destruction.

Homemade garlic butter cooked over two chicken breasts swarmed with four cut cloves of garlic and chunks of pepper, dozens of cut mushrooms and whole diced red onion. Served with curly fries.

Smells fucking great so far.

8o

That's a lot of garlic!

Sounds great :up: