aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

I've found an amazing recipe for a Chicken Passanda, had it a couple of nights ago !!

(with rice, nan bread, tomato & onion salad with raita)

Best I've ever made/tasted !.....Mmmmmmmm!

May post it on here later, if anyone is interested ?

as promised........

Chicken Passanda (mild & creamy)

(prep time 20mins)

(cooking time 30mins)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp, Vegetable / Olive Oil

1 Large Onion, thinly sliced

2-3 Cloves Garlic, crushed

500g Chicken Breast, uncooked, skinless, boneless, cut into chunks.

1 tbsp Mild Curry Powder

1 tsp Ground Coriander

400ml Chicken Stock (2 stock cubes)

25g Dessicated Coconut

25g Ground Almonds

25g Sultanas

150g 0% fat Greek Yogurt

1 small Banana (optional)

1 pinch Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper

15g Flaked Almonds

3 sprigs fresh Coriander, for garnish

Method:

Heat oil in a large saucepan, Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes, over a low heat. They should be soft and just slightly browned.

Add the Chicken chunks and cook for another few minutes to seal them on the outside. Stir in the Curry Powder and Ground Coriander and cook for a few more seconds.

Pour in the chicken Stock, then add the Coconut, Ground Almonds, and Sultanas. Heat until almost boiling, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes, partially covered.

Spoon in the Greek Yogurt, reserving a little to garnish, and stir in the Banana (if using)

Heat gently, then serve, garnished with the remaining Yogurt, Flaked Almonds and Fresh Coriander.

(Plain boiled Basmati rice makes the perfect accompaniment to this delicious curry !)

enjoy !!

Had a good food weekend. Got some scallops from the fishmonger on Saturday, fried them in oil and butter then served with new potatoes, spring onions and baby carrots.

Then yesterday I did braised chicken legs with a cream and mushroom sauce (served with asparagus and mash). This turned out to be one of the best things I've cooked all year. Superb. Forgot to take pictures though.

as promised........

Chicken Passanda (mild & creamy)

(prep time 20mins)

(cooking time 30mins)

......enjoy !!

I seem to have all the ingredients for this, so might give it a bash next week. Do you think you could use chicken thighs? ...cheers!

I went to Matthews the Chinese supermarket last weekend, got a heap of spices, so cheap!!

Thai Summer Rolls (like spring rolls however they are not deep fried, served cold) Taste almost like a noodle salad, well tasty....(can be made well in advance and kept in the fridge)

Chicken breast cut into slithers

Prawns (optional)

Marinade the above in a combination of fish sauce, honey and fresh chilli, also added a touch of soya sauce andsweet chilli sauce for a few hours.

Then cook the chicken/prawns then in the wok and set aside to cool.

Meanwhile...prepare the rest of the filling, suppose you can add anything but I put in..

Cucumber - sliced into strips

Spring onions - Sliced into strips

Bamboo Shoots (i bought the already sliced version)

Rice Noodles - soaked in hot water until soft

Once all ready, you can either roll these yourself or leave for dinner guests to do...

Take Rice Sheets (spring roll wraps) and soak in hot (but not boiling) water until soft (approx 1min), fill them with each of the items above and roll!

Serve with Sweet Chilli Sauce or make your own thai dipping sauce which is Soya, Fish Sauce and fresh chillies....

A really light tasty summer starter or snack!

• 1 month later...

I knocked together a really simple and tasty Greek thing tonight, cobbled together from various parts of Greek recipes.

Ingredients:

Olive oil

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 red onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

2 chicken breasts

2 cans chopped tomoatoes

2 teaspoons chicken stock

50g feta cheese, cut into cubes

1 handful pitted black olives.

Fresh parsley

Get a large skillet or deep frying pan. Add in the olive oil and oregano and heat it up. Add the peppers and the red onion and fry for a few minutes until the veg starts to soften. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Brown the chicken on either side. Add the 2 tins of tomatoes and add two teaspoons of chicken stock. (Add a splash of white wine if you fancy). Cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, and the sauce starts to thicken. Add in a handful of pitted black olives, and crumble in the feta, and mix it until it melts. Sprinkle over the parsley.

Serve with pitta bread, or tagliatelle if you prefer.

Tasty, but quite heavy.

Pad Thai?

Pad Thai recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

If you don't have tamarind substitute with lime juice.

I've now tried this recipe on 3 occasions, first minus tamarind paste as I couldn't find it in either Somerfield or Asda (have now located in Sainsbury's at Bride of Dee in the fancy cooking ingredient shelf at the back).

Personally I recommend reducing the fish sauce content to 2 tblsp if using this recipe. I found using lime juice made it too tart to be authentic. Reduced fish sauce and no lime was almost there, still something slightly missing though compared to Pad Thai i've had in restaraunts and I don't know what it is.

I've now tried this recipe on 3 occasions, first minus tamarind paste as I couldn't find it in either Somerfield or Asda (have now located in Sainsbury's at Bride of Dee in the fancy cooking ingredient shelf at the back).

Personally I recommend reducing the fish sauce content to 2 tblsp if using this recipe. I found using lime juice made it too tart to be authentic. Reduced fish sauce and no lime was almost there, still something slightly missing though compared to Pad Thai i've had in restaraunts and I don't know what it is.

It doesn't have any chili in it which a lot of pad thai recipes include (personally I eat enough spicy food and quite like just having the pad thai without it) and I've seen restaurants throw in chicken and loads of other things which I don't think it needs. Reckon they get it confused with Singapore Noodles.

Asda usually have tamarind paste in the dried herbs section I think. I usually just use the lime juice swap though as Morrisons in Banchory don't stock it. Not the same, but it's close enough for me.

There's a probably more authentic recipe here, though I've never tried it:

Pad Thai for beginners: chez pim

Tried this last week and it was very nice.

A tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan.

Cooked the skinned Salmon steaks slowly all the way through.

Whilst they were cooking, I mixed some honey (2 tablespoons) with a tablespoon of yellow mustard and a tablespoon of soy sauce. Added a little pepper.

Once the Salmon was cooked through I removed them and heated the oil on high. Turned the salmon, skinned side up and placed them back in the pan for a quick, browning sizzle. Once the salmon was browned, I place them skinned side down on a plate of salad leaves which had been flaked with some feta cheese. Put the honey mixture into the frying pan and cooked it for a minute or two, then poured it over the salmon. Yummy!!

Rock and Roll!!!!

Tried this last week and it was very nice.

A tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan.

Cooked the skinned Salmon steaks slowly all the way through.

Whilst they were cooking, I mixed some honey (2 tablespoons) with a tablespoon of yellow mustard and a tablespoon of soy sauce. Added a little pepper.

Once the Salmon was cooked through I removed them and heated the oil on high. Turned the salmon, skinned side up and placed them back in the pan for a quick, browning sizzle. Once the salmon was browned, I place them skinned side down on a plate of salad leaves which had been flaked with some feta cheese. Put the honey mixture into the frying pan and cooked it for a minute or two, then poured it over the salmon. Yummy!!

Rock and Roll!!!!

That does sound lovely, not so sure about the feta, but the rest sound nice, maybe with rocket salad and new pot's!

Gluten free pasta is weird. Tastes the same, but when you drain the excess water, it turns into white slime.

That happened to me last night but not the night before, think the trick is to slightly under cook it. The spaghetti is good when rinsed after cooking and mixed with the sauce.

Simple recipe had in both Prague and Amsterdam now....

Olive oil, wads of garlic, fresh chilli and spaghetti........haven't tried making it yet but assume you gently simmer everything but the spaghetti to infuse then mix in the spaghetti .....so fine and so simples!!

Olive oil, wads of garlic, fresh chilli and spaghetti........haven't tried making it yet but assume you gently simmer everything but the spaghetti to infuse then mix in the spaghetti .....so fine and so simples!!

I'd guess it sounds similar to some basic spaghetti recipes that I have quite often:

In a frying pan heat a lot of olive oil and gently fry whatever the main ingredient is you're putting in, like anchovies and capers, prawns or chopped sausages. Then throw in some thinly sliced/chopped garlic and some chili and take it off the heat after a minute or so or once the garlic has started to soften and smell.

Leave it to one side and chuck some spaghetti in a pot of boiling, salted water for about 7 or 8 minutes until al dente (it should still have a bit of bite to it).

Stick the oil and garlic pan back on the heat and throw in a spoonful or two of the water from the pasta, give it all a stir to scrape up the goodness from the pan and make the sauce. Drain the pasta and add it to the pan then season well, chuck in some chopped parsley and/or basil, stir it round so the spaghetti is well coated and serve.