aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Tried the "gourmet" burger at Archibald Simpson's yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Chips and a drink thrown in for just over 6 quid. As for the burger, didn't know whether to eat it or climb it...

:up:

As cheap pub food goes, I've always found the food in Archies pretty good indeed. One of the few places I've found in Aberdeen that do a vegetarian fry-up.

• 3 weeks later...

I made piri piri chicken last night:

Piri-piri guinea fowl recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

It was pretty good, but probably needed to marinade for longer (I only had an hour). Also the marinade in the recipe is a bit overloaded with lime juice. I added some olive oil to balance it up a bit, think some cooked down tomatoes might be good in it as well.

Great grilled or barbequed I reckon and serve it with corn on the cob.

I made piri piri chicken last night:

Piri-piri guinea fowl recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

It was pretty good, but probably needed to marinade for longer (I only had an hour). Also the marinade in the recipe is a bit overloaded with lime juice. I added some olive oil to balance it up a bit, think some cooked down tomatoes might be good in it as well.

Great grilled or barbequed I reckon and serve it with corn on the cob.

Morally wrong, though...

:nono:

:up:

Couldnt find the review thread so thought i'd post it here

Went to jade Garden in b.o.d (the old donview) tonight with the missus and the daughter...10/10 bloody loved it...Up there with the best chinese ive ever had....Slight problems were theres zero kids menu so our 6yr old had an adults portion and only ate a tiny bit of it...The waiter came over asked us if we wanted our leftovers to take home....I know this is common policy in other countrys but ive never ever been asked if i wanted to take stuff home...We did and im taking it to work tomorow as my peace lol . .

Our Order

Sizzling steak in original jade garden sauce topped with chopped vegtables. (11.50 or 7.50 on carry out)

x3 portions of chips

x2 chicken on a bed of beansprouts topped with bbq sauce(8.95x2)

x2 cokes

x2 pints of fresh orange and lemonade

portion of prawn crackers

Came to 46 which isnt to bad i sposse...Oh and no main course come with chips . . .

Bloody loved it.

we went to a restaurant in broadford on skye and had one of the worst meals of my life. it was quite awful.

we picked it because it looked ok and it was heaving at lunchtime when we went past, so figured it can't be that bad. my wife, her parents and myself rocked up around half seven and there was just one other couple in the place on a wednesday evening. probably not a good sign.

we went with it anyway and i ordered the mussels to start while the others had soup. i fucking love mussels but the portion i was given for a starter was ridiculous, which in itself is ok but i felt like i was holding everyone else up. it seems the kitchen and waiting staff felt the same because they brought us our main courses while i was still finishing my starter. i pointed this out and they said "oh, would you like me to hold your main course in the kitchen then?". it was downhill from this point.

i gave up on the mussels and our mains arrived. my wife and i had ordered the venison/ale pie while her parents went for breaded haddock and the steak pie. the fish was ok but the pies were pretty much just gravy and pastry. i counted two decent bits of venison in mine. it was shit.

as they were clearing our mains away the had waitress honestly forced the desert menu into my father in laws hand. we'd pretty much had enough though and decided to cut out losses. when we got upto leave they didn't even look up or say goodnight to us.

unfortunately i can't remember the name of it but i'd be surprised if it's there much longer. the only gaelic named restaurant in broadford anyway, near the spar. avoid it if you're there.

on the plus side though, we ate lots of stornoway black pudding on our west coast holiday and it's amazing!

After visiting jade garden chinese (the old donview) we decided last night to get a home delivery,

It was horrible....Chips were soaking and soggy....The sizzling steak tasted like it was cooked in brown sauce...My missus chiken looked like it was in water and beansprouts........

Fantastic eat in facilty's...Bloody dire home delivery service.

Korova

Went there at lunchtime,i had the burger and my missus had cauliflower and cashews.10 out of 10 for the food..probably the best pub food iv'e had in town.The service was a wee bit poor though!

Never really liked soggy wheat crumbs, I'm afraid ! (must be the texture as you eat it, that I don't like) Yeeuch !!!!..... can't stand the stuff........the rest sounds OK !

It's only the second time I have had it, both times being Ainsley's packets and both times well tasty! healthier than rice and quicker to make only add water and leave for 5 mins!

I quite like cous cous but it really depends on what flavour you put into it as they taste of nothing on their own.

Made Beef Bourguignon last night. Took about 4 hours (1 hour to prep, 3 hours in the oven) but was well worth it. Almost a whole bottle of red wine went into it and you just had to look at the chunks of beef and they'd fall apart. All food should taste like that.

I made the most amazing spaghetti bolognaise today.

Started off frying some onions for 2 minutes, then threw in the mince. Fried the mince for 3 minutes until it was brown all over, then added freshly chopped tomatoes. Cooked that for about 10 minutes, then chucked in pepper and some herbs (don't ask what the herbs are, I don't know!) along with sea salt. Covered it and left it for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently. During one of the stirring sessions, a meat stock cube and some Knorr cube thing was thrown in too.

Absolutely wonderful, and ten times better than any store bought sauce rubbish.

The secret? The tomatoes had been left in the open air for about a week before using them.

Any suggestions (Chris, I'm looking at you!) for something that can be cooked using white wine? I've got half a bottle of wine here that I don't want and might as well use for something other than cleaning the toilet.

I made the most amazing spaghetti bolognaise today.

Started off frying some onions for 2 minutes, then threw in the mince. Fried the mince for 3 minutes until it was brown all over, then added freshly chopped tomatoes. Cooked that for about 10 minutes, then chucked in pepper and some herbs (don't ask what the herbs are, I don't know!) along with sea salt. Covered it and left it for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently. During one of the stirring sessions, a meat stock cube and some Knorr cube thing was thrown in too.

Try cooking it for even longer, 25 mins doesn't seem enough. Bolognese should be at least an hour, covered on a low heat and don't stir it too often. Also a decent glug of red wine between browning the meat and adding the tomatoes will help it along nicely.

White wine. It's a bit late for asparagus but there's a really easy thing you can do with chicken and asparagus cooked in white wine. I'll post it later if I remember.

Try cooking it for even longer, 25 mins doesn't seem enough. Bolognese should be at least an hour, covered on a low heat and don't stir it too often. Also a decent glug of red wine between browning the meat and adding the tomatoes will help it along nicely.

White wine. It's a bit late for asparagus but there's a really easy thing you can do with chicken and asparagus cooked in white wine. I'll post it later if I remember.

Totally agree with you there, needs to simmer for at least an hour. Add the wine in when you stick in your onions, they osak up the wine and you get little burst when munching later yum!

Tonight i am cooking Monkfish and Chorizo kebabs (with veg) on my gridle...served with cous cous n some other veg/bread! OM NOM...think gonna keep it simple and make a lemon/lime/garlic dressing

I totally forgot to do this, oops.

Anyway I've changed my mind, what you should do with white wine is cook mussels in it.

Any suggestions (Chris, I'm looking at you!) for something that can be cooked using white wine? I've got half a bottle of wine here that I don't want and might as well use for something other than cleaning the toilet.

Chop up about 2 cloves of garlic, 1 red pepper, 1-2 onions, stick all this in a dish with 4 chicken breasts, pour the wine over the top so it covers the ingredients, smear some honey over the chicken, stick it in the oven for 45 mins to an hour.